How do you keep your system easy-to-use?

Is that a real TD160, I had one before my Linn LP12, that was pre 1986 …

Get a price from the Antiques Road Show

Bet it still works like a dream

It was Rhetorical, I expected no answer.
I do not need a fix.
I am very happy with ROON, exactly as it functions now.

Not really, it looks like a 160 but it’s got a 165 motor.

Old School “Mr. Fixits” sometimes say things like, “Quit monkeying around with it!” or “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” Some of the issues with my system have come up as I switched from software application to application (Roon to Bluesound and back) or grouped/ungrouped/regrouped zones. IOW, from monkeying around.

In the last little while, I’ve tried a “set it and forget it approach” that started by defining a group in the Bluesound app, then switching over to Roon. So far, so good. Two-room playback (sound) and device controls seem to be staying in sync. If, say, I want to mute playback in another room, I do it with the IR remote or with physical buttons on the device (instead of going back into the software controls/settings). So (knock on wood) I seem to be getting reliability and ease-of-use, but without sacrificing functionality (like wireless, in-sync, multi-room playback). By modifying my own behavior.

Some of the other suggestions above (like buying an all-in-one, or ditching the amp for powered speakers) also sound good, but I’m not sure I want to spend the money for “less is more” at this point.

Roon has provided the tools to make my musical appreciation dead simple.

Set-up: Devialet 200 (non-Pro) with a base Nucleus supplying Roon Devialet AIR. One cannot understate the magnificence of the Roon team in integrating a previously unreliable Devialet AIR function into its ecosystem (Roon Devialet AIR) so that one may control (typically via an iPad) the Devialet entirely within the Roon application: from start-up (assuming the device is in stand-by mode) to volume control to turning the device off. Brilliant!

In addition to the Devialet end-point, I also have a Sonos Play One in our second bedroom. When we have guests, I intend to wake them gently from afar with some nice morning music.

1 Like

Best check that the volume isn’t stuck on 100 before hitting Play then… :slight_smile:

Unless they’ve overstayed their welcome!

1 Like

Ha! I’ll be careful. Thinking about the “1812 Overture” for a wake-up track.:wink:

I also used to have multiple boxes being music server, pre amp, mono power amps, DAC, etc. It took 10 minutes just to power things up and get it ready to play music.

Threw all of that out and now running Devialet 440PRO and Vivid B1 Decade speakers streaming via Roon RAAT or Air from my main iMac. Simple and easy and it sounds great.

1 Like

Beginning of Pink Floyd’s Time works well, too. I used that on a timer when I was in high school.

1 Like

By the time the tubes warmed up you would have missed the best part :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

For me Roon works fine except for multi room, that is always out of sync. I use the Bluesound app to connect and sync, and Roon to select the music. I cannot find the cause for the out of sync, the bluesound node and pulse flex are connected via cable. Roon is running on a SD drive on the NAS hardwired in the network. Any suggestions how to fix sync issues within Roon?

This is sadly a known issue with Bluesound and Roon (search the forum) and you are using the only effective known workaround. Bluesound owners continue to await a fix - the date appears to be a moving target but IIRC May was recently mooted.

1 Like

Michael this is sadly a very (very) long running issue with Roon - Bluesound. This sync bug is a bit of a peculiar one as it seems to affect quite a few people but not some others. It seems to predominantly affect those who use multiroom. It certainly affected my setup when I had Bluesound devices. As @dhusky also points up above, reports and discussion on this comes up in the forum pretty regularly. The issue was first reported about 14 months ago. Recently Bluesound has acknowledged it as an issue that they need to address They initially stated a Feb fix and subsequently moved that to an April / May date.

I have found that keeping the system easy to use is a bit tricky as it involves quite a few variables. Using Rpi based endpoints is a sure way to keep Roon reliable and stable in my experience. The sonos devices are also working well for the past 6 months and they do no suffer from the Bluesound sync bug. They are not an actual RAAT end point but they work well.

1 Like

I’ve experienced similar sync issues with Bluesound, and have used the same work-around (using the Bluesound app to set up groups, then using Roon to select music).

I’d distinguish two sets of “sync” issues. There is playback sync, then there is control sync. For me, that work-around seems to eliminate only the problem of playback sync. I can get the same music to play at the same time (in sync, measure for measure) from two endpoints. However, controls/switches still don’t always seem to work together as expected. I could elaborate, but that probably belongs in another thread.

This is a good example of the trade-off between ease-of-use and functionality. If you really want ease of use, well then you may need to do without multi-room playback. Unless you want to do it the old-fashioned way (running lines of speaker wire to each room).

Thanks for the response, the control issues I too recognise but they seem to resolve themselves. Anyhow not as annoying as out of sync music in two areas (living & lounge). Do not want one room on full blast to hear it elsewhere and running speaker cable is sooo 1980’s. ;-). Will have to do with the work around for now.

Thanks for the response. I chose bluesound for the multiroom option and quality of sound. Came across Roon later and find it usefull as it also connects to my B&W Zeppelin air utilizing my NAS based music even better. Will have to wait for improvements and use the work around.

Michael, I’d be interested to hear back from you about your experience with the work-around (and whether you have similar control problems.)

I had ease of use for almost 15 years using iTunes and airplay with multiple airports and/or airplay speakers. I just recently upgraded to hi-res streaming with the cocktail audio X50D (roon ready) and a roon lifetime subscription. So I had to updrade to an eero mesh network and pull out all my airports. I am just trying to add one of my zones back with the Bluesound Node 2i in my guest room. A pretty big hammer to solve my airport express needs but it wont even play in sync. If it worked I would use the bluesound solution in other places in my house.

Is there even any hope that this would be solved? I see lots of chatter here on these boards but not much over at Bluesound. Not convinced Bluesound recognizes a “problem” exists.

(love Roon by the way… )

I had airports for years, too. In fact you can still get pretty much the same ease of use (plus a lot of functionality) with iTunes, AppleTV, and apps like Pandora. That’s what I use for my morning work-outs (goCNN on AppleTV with the sound muted and Pandora beaming music through a Node2i from my iPhone.) The SQ is more than good enough for the situation. In switching over to Roon for more serious listening, does the improved SQ (or other benefits) outweigh added cost, complexity, or occasional glitches? Presumably the answer is “yes” for most people on this forum … but maybe not for the average casual user.