How do you Roon?

Good topic (bump received :slight_smile: ), nice to read and thanks for taking time to describe how you are using Roon (in for me undiscovered ways).

I am still thinking of the best way to organise my library & what suits me best, so I can’t tell much new insights in use.
After writing this down it seems to become more of a list why I don’t go all the way using tags, because of some shortcomings in usability :-).

My current "workflow"
When I listen to “Roon Radio” I am tagging tracks (which means it’s a song I want to hear it again in a specific situation or mood), a dinner for example.
I don’t tag albums, artists, composers, playlist (at the moment).

When we get friends over, I dive into the tags to find suggestions to add to a playlist.
I used to keep the saved playlists in folders (iTunes / Spotify), but in Roon I have only a few.

When I can’t remember an artist name or track name I try to search with tags to find the “forgotten track”.

I hope to find some time in the future to reduce the genres (I now use Roon, but this is to much and not always to my satisfaction).

There are a few things what keeps me cautious (besides lack of time).

In no specific order:

1- Tags are only visible when viewing an album
So when browsing music I need to go the album to see if a track is tagged before.
Even the queue does not provide this information.
Most of the times there are too much clicks (3) needed to add a tag to a track.

2- No intuitive browsing in tags
When more entities are tagged (album, playlist, track, artist) I can see in top how many albums or artists are tagged.
It is not easy to jump quickly to this tagged album, artist or playlist.

tag-acoustic

Furthermore, I’m sometimes lost when browsing in tags.
For example: in the tag browser I’m in Acoustic (in the header I see “Acoustic”) zoom into the tag Acoustic, I see View All.
When I change the view to Artists, I see 79 Artists (the header changes to Artists). Anthony and the Johnsons is listed here with 17 albums,
though I only have 1 track of him(?) tagged as Acoustic.
When I click NOT acoustic, I see all Artists and Anthony and the Johnsons disappears, though I only have tagged 1 track as Acoustic.

When I go back to the tag Acoustic and choose Tracks, which gives me a complete other view.
The UI change is not coherent to me.

3- Missing boolean options
It’s not always easy to find what I want (show me dinner AND acoustic).

4- A confusing / unclear view when there are lots of tags.
I think hierarchical tags (folders) will solve this:
A set of toplevels i.e. Mood / Tempo / Occasion: drilldown to a sublevel and see Dinner / Party: drilldown to a list of Dinner tracks.
(I’m aware of Bookmarks, but for me it’s not logical to use this and I don’t want a long list of Bookmarks)

5- What has Roon in the pipeline?

6- Last, how will tagging evolve, in other words: will my chosen path and effort work in the future:

2 Likes