How does Roon decide on Qobuz, Tidal or Tidal MQA for tracks in their Daily Mix?

I’m not saying resolution plays a role it what is selected, just that if both platforms only have a 44/16 version of a track, then the Qobuz version is never the one which is picked.

Qobuz tracks are only ever added to daily mixes if they have a better quality version than Tidal.

This is clear from my experience and the screenshots which have been shown here in the last few posts.

1 Like

I just did a recent look through my daily mixes, and it does look random, but the results vary depending on what genre you seem to be listening to.

Jean-Guihen Queyras Mix (Classical)
Qobuz -12
Tidal - 13

Blind Guardian Mix (Metal)
Qobuz - 6
Tiday - 19

Rick James Mix (Funk)
Qobuz - 11
Tidal - 14

Nils Lofgren Mix (Rock)
Qobuz - 13
Tidal - 12

Ahmad Jamal Mix (Jazz)
Qobuz - 9
Tidal - 16

Anathema Mix (Metal)
Qobuz - 4
Tidal - 21

Tallies with my theory and results.
On the more obscure genres where there are no Qobuz hires versions available then Tidal pummels the mix quotient.

I guess no one here believes you are not telling the truth - but rather than „discussing“ it’s needed to investigate this topic in more detail.

Even though when intended to not prefer Tidal over Qobuz there seems to be set a default flag etc in favor of Tidal.

1 Like

Not going to bore you with the results again from today’s daily mix but the pattern is exactly the same as yesterday.

Obscure genre where there are NO Qobuz hires versions available it’s a huge slam dunk for Tidal.

A common artist (U2 in today’s lot) is an even mix of 12/13 BUT every single Qobuz track is hires. Not one single Qobuz 16/44 track is in this mix.

Something is off IMHO.

2 Likes

My searches are the same thing. I don’t ever get Qobuz first. I was just pondering this a few days ago and wondering if I had set a switch somewhere. I concluded it must be the order in which I joined (I joined Qobuz last).

1 Like

My bad here folks, I kind of started the drift off topic to the original thread title of Roon preferring Tidal in searches and drove it back over to the Daily Mix selection.
Which is really where this thread is spot on topic.!

Maybe @danny can provide some algorithm background or has an idea what could be going wrong.

@danny Just to add some clarification, here is what I am observing.

Given both Tidal and Qobuz have 44/16 as their best version of any given track, then the Tidal version is ALWAYS the version which is selected for a Daily Mix. Always.

Beyond that, the service with the ‘highest quality’ takes precedence,- 44/24 beats 44/16, 48/24 beats 44/24, 96/24 beats 48/24 etc.

1 Like

Reviewing things today it seems the rule is:

Higher Resolution wins with the following caveat, at equal resolution MQA is treated as the better resolution.

So, if there is a 24/44.1 Qobuz file and a 24/44/1 MQA Tidal file then the Tidal file will be chosen. Same goes for 16/44.1 resolutions.

This flips though at 24/96 and 24/192 Qobuz are chosen in preference of the 24/48 96 MQA / 24/48 192 MQA. So, it is comparing the base file resolutions and ignoring the ORFS in the comparison.

This is all further complicated by it seems to be only comparing like versions of the album. See below for a better example of this. I got a Daily Mix today where the chose was a track from ELP Trilogy see:

As you can see the 44.1/16 MQA was chosen. But, if you look in Versions you see this:

And, this next part is why I think it is confusing for us (I might be completely wrong but every instance I looked at bore it out) I left it big so you can see. From the above ELP example, there are 3 Trilogy verions available in Roon for each service AND Roon nicely groups them all together as “versions”. However, they are not all compared against each other.

When Roon randomly selected the Album/Track it seems to only compare the options between the exact equivalents between the two services. So, in my case it chose the second version and compared it to the second version in Qobuz, and using the above rules the Tidal 44.1/16 MQA wins out (As shown with the Currently Viewing text and track circled in red). What it does not seem to do is compare across the different versions. If it did, then the 24/96 Qobuz of 2015 Remaster is the one which should have been chosen.

This pattern was replicated in each instance where a 16/44.1 MQA track was chosen, yet, a 24/96 Qobuz track existed. For example, here is Jethro Tull’s Stand UP, the Tidal 44.1/16 MQA was chosen (circled red in pic below), but, as you can see, there clearly was a 24/96 Qobuz option with a different version pair.

4 Likes

Outstanding detective work Daniel!
Thank you very much for this.

2 Likes

You’ve ignored the most disturbing part of this - Tidal is always given priority if the best version available is vanilla 44/16.

1 Like

So what is the follow up to these findings? There was still no reply so far from Roon Team.

All we can do is wait for Roon to investigate further although I don’t think this is a top priority right now.

Patience is going to be the watchword here😉

1. Qobuz HiRes
  2. Qobuz others
  3. Tidal without MQA
  4. Others
1 Like

As I see this has just been resurrected it’s pretty much all moot now after Roon change for the better.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.