How much longer will Roon offer a lifetime subscription?

Indeed you can, but Spotify has a much broader catalogue at the moment, so could be used as a cheap add-on to enable listening to stuff unavailable from the higher quality streamers, and if it is background then SQ is not such an issue - for me anyway.

1 Like

Each to their own but between my personal library and Tidal I can find everything I want and need. I certainly wonā€™t use Spotify as they just donā€™t pay artists fairly at all.
It seems to me they promote themselves in the same way dodgy venues offer free gigs for exposure, as if anyone can spend exposure.

My view of the cop out is that their reasoning seems very thin.

My assumption: They donā€™t offer spotify connect because they most likely want you to use the Roon interface. Spotify says no. Then they say that it is on Spotify that they couldnā€™t come to an agreement when it is Roon asking for something they canā€™t get. Perhaps there is something more, since Sonos is able to have access to Spotify in a way, but I suspect it is because Sonos is a major company and can flex against Spotify some.

But throwing a tantrum and saying, well we wonā€™t offer Connect then, that is consumer unfriendly IMO.

Now I could be wrong. Maybe Spotify just hates Roon or there is some technical issue that couldnā€™t be resolved. But I suspect not. Spotify is happy to be everywhere they can be, especially as Apple Music is starting to take share.

Well I assume by ā€œtheyā€ you mean Roon, and if so of course Roon would want users to use their UI, that is part of the Roon eco-system, and as a customer of Roon, if using Roon I want to use the Roon UI. I can use Spotify Connect direct to my streamer because the hardware/firmware supports it direct, but I would prefer it if possible to use it via Roon UI.

However we are well off topic hereā€¦

When my trial ends next week I will be taking up the lifetime licence, I hope that they donā€™t pull it before then!!!

1 Like

Throwing a tantrum? Where did you get that crazy idea? Roon shouldnā€™t be expected to somehow create an entire UI for Spotify, or implement Spotifyā€™s own UI, in Roon. That would be crazyā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™d say that what hurts their value as a lifetime subscription is valuing their interface over features that benefit their customers. That to me is either ego and tantrum or raw greed. Which is worse?

Anyway, we can only speculate as to the reason Spotify isnā€™t available in any form.

To tie it back to the lifetime subscription issue: not having Spotify integration not Apple Music to me means it probably doesnā€™t have long term legs. Niche products die. And $500 without any guarantees of longevity? Forget it.

$500 and source held in third party escrow to be fully open upon acquisition, shut down or other event? Thatā€™d be a good value add and security

@Tarun_Nagpal

Spotify isnā€™t even hi-res. Spotify is a useful mobile music source. Roon, to date, is a fixed music library and streaming manager. Different creatures.

1 Like

Roonā€™s UI and feature set are what differentiate it from other programs and services. Why would you even consider buying Roon if the Tidal or Spotify apps/UI alone handled your needs???

Thatā€™s it in a nutshell. Adding Spotify Connect to Roon would be beneficial.

Well, one final comment before I bow out of this conversation; somewhere in thus thread Brian from Roon stated that in such an unlikely event, a final stable version of Roon would be made available, so it would still work as is, but clearly metadata updating would cease. There is no such thing as the security you seek I am afraid, even big strong famous name companies fail leaving thousands or even millions of customers in the lurch for much more significant sums than $500. I could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow, none of us know what is round the corner, but if you live your (generic you, not you in particular) life based on what might or might not happen, or making wild speculations about a company or product, then you will miss out on a lot.

Finally, all high end HiFi products are Niche products with a very limited market relative to population numbers, so by your statement, they are all going to fail, so maybe we had all better stop buying any of them!

2 Likes

Which product except of the HomePod and Sonos has Apple Music integration? Sound quality is by far not as good as TIDAL offers.

Pretty sure they arenā€™t the only two choices.

Impossible. Spotify Connect is a headless Spotify client. It is not a local network streaming technology.

Spotify wants to own the user experience and interface for their users, and Roon is all about the Roon interface. Those ideas are incompatible.

Sonos market share is the only thing that got Apple and Spotify to bend. Roon is doing just fine, but we do not have Sonosā€™ user counts.

What are you using Roon for if you donā€™t want to use the Roon interface? What is Roon to you without itā€™s interface?

8 Likes

Thanks Danny
Apologies I declare my ignorance about terminology by asking for Spotify Connect if thatā€™s technically impossible.

In the end I am a user in a multi zone Sonos house.
I have a lifetime Roon membership and love the interface.
I have a big library of >70k tracks I use it for but would like to add streaming.
Whatā€™s challenging me is that my family and I have used a Spotify family account fircyears and relish it especially on mobile format. I cannot see us moving to another streaming service happily and I donā€™t want a second streaming supplier.

I want really to access my Spotify account to enable streaming from it in Roon.
And now that Tidal has been joined by Qobuz, I am hopeful that Spotify will follow.

I hope that makes more sense than my original comment!

But, would you be happy if Spotify in Roon did none of the Roon things? Maybe you would; but, Roon, from what I gather, does not want to put out a product where different streaming services function differently in Roon. Which, imho, is absolutely the right stance, as it would make a horrible end user experience.

Having a tight integration like with Tidal/Qobuz is not possible with Spotify Connect. And just using Spotify Connect would result in a product that did not function like the other streaming services in Roon.

The ones to bug on this topic is Spotify. They will have to change their answer to Roon and allow the same integration as Tidal/Qobuz allows.

Until it doesnā€™t.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think you gave me a little more understanding of the situation.
I am however a little perplexed as to why you felt you should reply in such a patronising fashion as a moderator of the forum.
From my original involvement here and subsequent response I think you can be sure that Iā€™m not familiar with the technical aspects. I am, however, keen to get as best on offer out of the devices and systems I already own or subscribe to.
If that means I am bugging anyone then I am sorry.
Iā€™ll try to remain silent from now on to avoid disturbing the status quo.

Put on your big boy pants.

4 Likes

:rofl::joy:

2 Likes

Very odd. Iā€™ve re-read the @Rugby response 3 times and it seems factual and straightforward and no matter how hard I try, I canā€™t find any patronizing tone or language.

p.s. Iā€™d be happy with Spotify integration as well. And if you havenā€™t seen it, hereā€™s a thread with info on how to ā€œvoteā€ on a Spotify forum for this feature.

1 Like