How to get the best experience from Roon Radio?

Not sure who this is directed at, but for the record, I’m using Tidal, Qobuz and local files.

2 Likes

Not clear either since I was directly above. 100% local.

I used tidal and local files.

In that case, you are not using Roon Radio, you are using the older and not-Valence-powered “swim” algorithm. I’m working with the UI team to make that more clear in the interface.

I have the same issue of the same artists repeating. Especially the Doors and now I give it a thumbs down. I have no local files. I only use Qobuz

2 Likes

When I was using Roon, I had premium subscriptions to Qobuz and Tidal, and a local library of more than 70,000 songs. Roon Radio was really bad no matter which services I had turned on or off.

3 Likes

I’d welcome surfacing swim as a top level option, a nod to the sooloos heritage.

1 Like

Was Roon Radio ever fixed in the past 15+ months? Or does it still suffer the same issues of repetition stupidity that I documented way back in November 2020?

3 Likes

They are working on it and claim that they made progress, but the last time I tested it a few days ago, it was not solved for me.

2 Likes

I have also not seen any improvement except that it now plays songs from local library instead of 100% from streaming services.

1 Like

Noticed that too.

Roon radio plays often enough the same tracks.
Funny enough I get exactly the same tracks that are mentioned in the first post.

Local library gets hardly ever used. (But mine is pretty small).

Even though I select qobuz albums as “primary” or favourite version it still plays tidal versions sometimes.

But overall I’m pretty happy. Because I really discovered lots of new artists.

And since the latest update it has been really stable despite me being on WiFi with my core

More examples and Roon still refuses to acknowledge or do anything about it. Seed is True Blue by Madonna. Just the sheer laziness on the part of Valence to find any variety is astounding. Just endlessly repeats the same set of artists in a loop. This is Classic 80’s Pop for god’s sake.

I have discovered more music listening to this album https://i.imgur.com/wgHIold.png than countless Roon Radio sessions seeding off the same genre.

4 Likes

Well damn I just jumped back on Roon after an almost 2 year hiatus, and it still seems like Roon Radio has problems. This is my observation in about an hour of listening.

I played the “Indie Electronic” genre, which spit out the following songs. Many of which I would describe more as “Electronic Ambient” or “Soundscapes” than “Indie Electronic”. In my mind, and according to Roon’s analysis of my Library, “Indie Electronic” should include such bands as LCD Soundsystem, Junior Boys, Little Dragon, !!!, Hot Chip, and a whole lot more than never came up. I love the fact that Roon Radio gives me artists and songs I’ve never heard before, but it still seems to be missing the mark with categorizing music into the correct genre on the “cloud side” of things. It does however identify artists in my Library into what I deem as the appropriate genres, however it’s really odd that the Radio function seems to largely ignore the correctly identified artists in my library (which is 83,000 songs).

Cut Copy - Cold Water
Stereolab & Nurse With Wound - Simple Headphone
Editors - Heart Attack
Panda Bear & Sonic Boom - Gettin’ To The Point
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Have You Felt Lately?
ODESZA & Julianna Barwick - This Version of You
Sufjan Stevens & Nico Muhly - Jupiter
Lambchop - In Care of 8675309
Stereolab - Spool of Collusion
Editors - Picturesque
Panda Bear & Sonic Boom - In My Body
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Check Your Translation
Julianna Barwick - Inspirit
Kate NV - Not Not Not
Greg Fox - Vedana
Lucrecia Dalt - Disuelta
Katie Gately - Ritual

See how it’s already starting to repeat artists, despite “Indie Electronic” being a huge genre with several hundred, if not thousands, of artists that could be played?

I then played it again a couple hours later and it gave me THE SAME SONGS as before:

Jamie XX - Gosh
Stereolab & Nurse With Wound - Simple Headphone
Editors - Heart Attack
Panda Bear & Sonic Boom - Gettin’ To The Point
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Have You Felt Lately?
ODESZA & Julianna Barwick - This Version of You
Lucretia Dalt - No Tiempo
Oliver Sim & Jimmy Somerville - Hideous
Phoenix & Ezra Koenig - Tonight

I can’t believe it’s the same issues 2 years on…

5 Likes

This is sad to see. Normally ROON radio should incorporate also your listening history as Spotify and other music recommendation systems do.
I think there is also still no way to make ROON radio based on a selected playlist.

3 Likes

Using playlists as seeds might be helpful. I’d also like to see an option for radio to generate a tempory playlist/queue of a specified number of tracks so you can see in advance what it picked (like tidal), and start over of you don’t like the results.

4 Likes

Thank-you for writing this. I agree. Roon radio still generating repeating artists and songs frustrations. I hope Roon is listening to this feedback and soon improved. I am also looking for a discovery slider or button within Roon radio. Roon radio should be a great feature to attract and keep subscribers.

2 Likes

This is what I remember with, what, Pandora? Rhapsody? One of those. But the slider had “deep tracks” on one end and “play the hits!” on the other, right? Loved that. :+1:

3 Likes

Slacker Radio was even better than Pandora. Slacker had sliders for (I think) Hits-Deep Tracks, More-Less Favorites, More-Less Discovery, and I think also something like Older-Newer? And you could thumb up/down whatever you liked/disliked and it would adjust the subsequent songs it gave you.

It’s also frustrating that when I start Roon Radio, there’s no indication of what the radio is based on? Like maybe in the Queue it should have a divider every time you change the source such as:

—-- playing album XYZ —-

Or

—— playing genre Indie Electronic —-

Or

—— playing playlist ABC —-

Sometimes I jump back into Roon and have no idea what I was previously playing.

4 Likes

I seem to remember Milk Music fondly.

Going way back, I miss Rdio. That service was magic, a perfect mix of new and familiar songs, with amazing knowledge about the connections between artists. All you had to do was thumbs up/down several times as it played and it would send hours and hours of the perfect mix with hardly a repeat. Pandora bought the remains of Rdio but now even 10+ years later it’s still not as good as Rdio was.

This is all I want from Roon Radio: to pick a “seed” (album, genre, song, playlist, etc) and have it play hours and hours of the perfectly appropriate music without a single repeat, and maybe no more than one song from a particular artist every hour or two.

Unfortunately Roon Radio still seems misguided, repetitive, and kinda stale. And too much interaction required to skip songs that don’t fit.

7 Likes