HOWTO: Debian Installation on FreNAS (bhyve)

Thanks Peter,

i followed your HOWTO and succeeded Halfway! Here my recomendations to clarify a few points in your HOWTO:

For the Network Setup of Debian you should explicitally tell that the user have to take a static IP of his own Network (out of Range of his DHCP-Range to not collide with ip-numbers already in use).

It would even be better to recommend nano instead vi as editor because it is a bit easier to use.

The Line: “mount -t nfs titan:/mnt/DataVault/MusicStore /mnt/MusicStore” isn’t completely clear. “Titan” is what? My Rig is named “Freenas”, so i think this is the name of youre freenas appliance. The ip would also do here or maybe is more clear to the user following the tutorial.

The Line “mount -t nfs titan:/mnt/DataVault/MusicStore /mnt/MusicStore” (with ones own path, btw) works, but using the same Line for /etc/fstab didn’t work for me, i used instead:

[freenasIP]:/mnt/[path_to_your_musicfiles] /mnt/MusicStore nfs rw        0 	0      

Using “mount -av” should not give any error messages or else one should go back and try correcting the path in /etc/fstab until it works.

So, my Musicfiles are Mounted in /mnt/MusicStore but if i try to add them as a local folder under Roon on Mac or iPad Roon didnt find any Files, the path /mnt/MusicStore gets accepted by Roon, but no scanning takes place. Only mounting the Files on my Mac via smb:// worked and the files get scanned and i can play them via Roon effortlessly. My Folder with Roon Files was also shared via smb, so i deleted the cifs-share, gave recursively all files root-ownership (instead of mine) restartet my roonserver and now my local path “/mnt/MusicStore” worked fine, all files get scanned. Maybe i need to mount the share with user/pw in debian to be able to also use them as cifs-share, i don’t know. Maybe someone can help here with the correct procedere to share with the VM via NFS and also with mac via SMB.

My FreeNAS Machine is a 2,4GHz 8core AVOTON-Board (ASRock C2750I), 32GB RAM, Byhyve and the 50GB RoonServer lives on a 240GB SSD, Musicfiles on a single 8TB WDRED with ZFS. Using Roon with all my Devices is instanteuos, no lag, no stuttering, whatever. I can even have 2 PLEX-Streams running from the same machine while listening to DSD64 (which gets handled from a raspberry Pi to my USB DAC.). The VM has 2GB RAM and 1 core, maybe i should give a GIG RAM more or 1 core more, but why? Everithing seems to work fine now. Will see…

Thanks for any comments in advance,

Bernd