HQPlayer v4 released

Bought mine April 1, I know how you feel.

I plan to contact them, I’ll let you know how it goes.

“Them” is just me, nobody else. :slight_smile:

HQPlayer Desktop versions 3 and 4 are available in parallel now for a year. Some notable things about version 4 compared to 3:

• Support for 32-bit Windows has been dropped
  • Minimum CPU requirement is now 64-bit with SSE4.2 capability on all platforms
  • Windows version requirement limited to 64-bit Windows 10, no more Windows 7 or 8.1 support

macOS is supported in model “latest minus one”. Ubuntu is supported on latest LTS version after first point release, when new LTS becomes upgradeable from old one.

1 Like

That doesn’t make me feel a lot better about the unimpressive 20% discount. I would have waited if I had known that version 4 was imminent. Why not offer recent purchasers the ability to upgrade for the difference in price between the old and new versions?

Cheers,
Rick.

2 Likes

First, defining “recent” is hard, someone will always feel to be left wrong side of the line. It is even harder given that 3.x is still available and will be available for quite some time. How about someone who purchases 3.x next month?

Price difference doesn’t either make up for the effort of maintaining two versions in parallel.

If I purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements one day before Adobe released new version, I wouldn’t get the new one for the price difference (which is typically none). I would have to pay full price of the new one if I want it. Or if I purchased a new iMac one week before Apple made refresh of the iMac line, I wouldn’t get new one for anything else than full price either.

And I keep paying something like 100 EUR/year for updates of Skylum Luminar, with upgrade discounts of typical 15%.

1 Like

Of course another alternative would have been to price the new version at 300 EUR net and give higher discount percentage… :thinking:

I see you made your own appeal to the developer and received a response similar to what I heard privately.

From the defensive tenor of his responses it is obvious we are not going to receive satisfaction.

As the locals say, “Shogenai”.

2 Likes

How long will the discount be available for ?

@jussi_laako
so you don’t respond to pm?

Shogenai :grinning:

The difference between what audiophiles are willing to shell out for hardware versus software is very interesting. Many (myself not included) think nothing of spending $10,000+ for the “best” DAC, pre-amp, amplifier or speaker, and some spend $50,000 or more on these items, but then complain when the highest end software costs a few hundred dollars. Ultimately, whether it is HQPlayer or Roon or other high end software that greatly increases our listening pleasure, they are all dirt cheap compared to hardware for the level of sonic improvement they offer.

4 Likes

There is no defined ending date, so likely some time beyond end of 3.x maintenance.

Please send me emails instead. Things get scattered way too much otherwise, I’m not able to keep up with PMs from different forums plus email.

Thought you might enjoy the irony in a message I found in my inbox this morning. :smirk:

1 Like

@jussi_laako is there any point in sending an email? The response here and on Facebook makes it clear you’ve made up your mind how to handle this. You’re entitled to do that just as I’m entitled to feel that I have been treated poorly as a customer.

4.02 works for me. No issues.

Yes, 4.02 works for me as well. You are very wise to wait! Enjoy!

Sad to hear it did not work out well for you.
There is absolutely nothing to understand with that policy. Too bad.

I have seen discussions about the price increase here and on CA Forum.

I fully understand the grief but from personal experience, when you need support, it will be first class… Jussi has helped me so much.

I was really on the fence about the price of HQP ‘Embedded’ at the time of purchase but looking back at the support I received (and remembering he is a one man band with this support), I now have no regrets.

And that’s even before I factor in the constant improvements to the software itself.

And then there’s new features that have come.

The issue is how you treat guys who bought during the last 6 month.
If you behave like that you offend potential buyers.
I would think twice buying such a product.
And I love HQ Player.

Is there a link anywhere where the differences between versions 3 and 4 are shown?
I have seen references to when v4 was first announced but have been unable to find it.
I am currently using the latest update of v3. I am using Roon as the GUI not HQP.
BTW, tried sending email via Signalyst but it kept bouncing back.