I am Considering Using HQ Player... BUT... Help Needed!

Also try clicking this button:

57%20pm

Yup, a true HQP up-sampler has battle scars.

1 Like

Roon can connect to the Pi (HiFi Berry) and it works.
AFAIK, nothing else is running in the Pi other than the Roon app and the HQPlayer app. (But not sure how to check to make sure).
The DAC is connected to the Pi (HiFi Berry) via digital coaxial cable.
All boxes checked, but still no cigar. :thinking:

Well, I spoke too soon. The HiFi Berry is no longer playing through Roon. Will troubleshoot and report backā€¦

OK. Roon now plays via HiFi Berry.
I also reinstalled the NAA file into DietPi.

Here are the programs that are currently running in my Dietpi configuration:

• Alsa
  • Dietpi Ramlog
  • Dropbear
  • Roon Bridge
  • NAA

I know that I need to keep Roon Bridge, NAA, and probably Alsa. But should I uninstall Ramlog or Dropbear (wondering if there might be a conflict with NAA)?

Anyway, still unable to get HQPlayer to recognize my Rpi-Digi Pro combo.

Thanks!

You cannot have Roon Bridge and NAA active simultaneously.

How are the devices connected in your network, IOW what is your overall networking layout?

My layout is as follows:
Roon Core and HQPlayer run in an iMac
Home network is hardwired (Ethernet)
The RPi-HiFi Berry is running DietPi and is also connected via Ethernet cable to the network.
A digital coaxial cable connects the RPi-Hifi berry combo to an Oppo 205 player.

I will uninstall the Roon Bridge app from DietPi and see what happens. Thanks!!

I uninstalled Roon Bridge from the RPi-HifiBerry.
After resetting everything, Roon now sees HQPlayer as a Roon endpoint and I can play music from Roon to HQPlayer.

However, HQPlayer still cannot see the NAA so HQPlayer does not give me the option to play through the NAA. It plays only on my iMac computer.

Do you have firewall active on iMac? Perhaps it is blocking the trafficā€¦

I disabled the firewall and still no go.
Did you say that I can only have ONE of these two files running in DietPi:
NAA (for HQP), or
Roon Bridge

I tried uninstalling Roon Bridge and leaving NAA but it did not work either.

have you fixed the problem? Iā€™m in a similar situation

have you fixed the problem? Iā€™m in a similar situation

It is most often a network issue if NAA is not found by HQPlayer. Describing your exact network topology may help in figuring out why things donā€™t workā€¦

this is my log

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.wifi.internal.scanning.error

Mon Jul 9 19:00:25.103 IO80211Interface::updateReport _peerManager is missing
Mon Jul 9 19:00:26.822 <airportd[73]> ERROR: WirelessRadioManagerd (327) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 5
Mon Jul 9 19:00:26.823 <airportd[73]> ERROR: WirelessRadioManagerd (327) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 6
Mon Jul 9 19:00:33.448 <airportd[73]> ERROR: WiFiProxy (414) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 1
Mon Jul 9 19:00:33.448 <airportd[73]> ERROR: WiFiProxy (414) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 7
Mon Jul 9 19:00:33.449 <airportd[73]> ERROR: WiFiProxy (414) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 2
Mon Jul 9 19:00:33.450 <airportd[73]> ERROR: WiFiProxy (414) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 3
Mon Jul 9 19:00:33.451 <airportd[73]> ERROR: WiFiProxy (414) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 6
Mon Jul 9 19:00:33.455 <airportd[73]> ERROR: WiFiProxy (414) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 5
Mon Jul 9 19:00:33.455 <airportd[73]> ERROR: WiFiProxy (414) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 8
Mon Jul 9 19:00:36.878 <airportd[73]> ERROR: symptomsd (233) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 3
Mon Jul 9 19:00:36.880 <airportd[73]> ERROR: symptomsd (233) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 6
Mon Jul 9 19:00:48.260 <airportd[73]> ERROR: WiFiAgent (450) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.events, but allowing anyways for event type 1
Mon Jul 9 19:02:08.465 <airportd[73]> WARNING: HQPlayerDesktop (554) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.scan, temporarily allowing request with background priority ā€”ā€” all entitlement requirements will be strictly enforced in a future release

Everything is fine using the second Macbook like Roon endpoint, so I think the wifi network is ok, but if I set it as NAA the music drop off every few secondsā€¦

I was not able to fix the problem. I decided to stop trying to connect HQPlayer to the NAA and wait until I get my new Windows PC to install Roon core and HQPlayer on the new machine and then try again.

Is it possible (how?) and it make sense to try to increase the ā€œcoreaudio allocation buffer size 512ā€ in the terminal command? I still have some sobs streaming to the Naa (384ā€¦768khz)
Everything is fine with Roonā€¦thanks

CoreAudio is not involved at all when streaming to a NAA.

You can adjust the ā€œBuffer timeā€ setting in HQPlayer. But I recommend keeping it at ā€œDefaultā€ when streaming to a NAA.

Just an update since I posted my initial request. I got my new Windows PC/Roon/HQPlayer combo up and running. Everything is working great. All my music is now being upsampled to DSD512 and sounds fantastic.

I benefitted greatly from all the comments provided here. Thank you everyone!

1 Like

Excellent news. Enjoy the music.

.sjb

Thank you. Itā€™s a network issue and Iā€™m going to fix it. HQP is more bandwitdh demanding than Roonā€¦

1 Like