I am looking for some ideas where I could go with a better DAC…

Welcome, glad you like it as well.
How do you feed the RME ? Your source / streamer is not ROON ready ?

I use an old MacBook as Roon bridge, the core is a Mac mini.

Ok, but you should see the RME as output device if connected via USB ?

sure. That is not a problem, it is just as it is if one attaches the USB DAC to the core or bridge. Completely normal behavior.

Some, prefer simplicity and are willing to settle for the sound quality of the internal DACs that some integrated amps, and other components come with. Some internal DACs sound quite outstanding. But, based on my personal experience, internal DACs can always be bested by external, stand-alone DACs. This is pretty much common knowledge in the world of high end audio. When I purchased my Hegel H590, although I’d heard many good things about it’s internal DAC, I had no intention of using it. I purchased the H590 for it’s superior power, as a space saver and it’s superior sound quality as an amp/preamp. If I had a larger room, I would go all separates. I mated my H590 with an Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty DAC with excellent results. If I ever move to a much larger room, I’d sell the H590, go with separates, including my current DAC. Separates are always better.

2 Likes

Pretty much exactly my experience with my H390. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the DAC and if I had to use it I would happily do so. But a quality external DAC (Lumin T2 in my case, as I only stream these days) elevates the sound quality considerably.

I enjoy my Schiit Bifrost Multibit. The Bifrost 2 is available for $799 I believe. Amir from ASR trashed the Bifrost but it was obvious he hated it before he even tested it. Schiit used to offer “try before you buy”, might be worth checking out.

So Darko was talking about Schiit now offering a good measuring or good sounding models, which made me chuckle.

It is aimed at the measurement centric buyer’s and they have said that it sounds worse as that is what lead to good measurements. Choice is important and it’s good to know that people like Schiit are looking to supply both segments of the market.

HAHA
Darko also used to be deliriously in love with MQA, now not so much!

1 Like

Well when the wheel turns in the other direction, best to move with it or get out of the way. I don’t really have a stance on MQA, but maybe I do after all, as I downgraded my tidal subscription :grinning:

I tend to drink the Kool-Aid on these things. I think I hear improvements with MQA (even just with the Roon decode) and Qobuz Hi-Res. But I have a stronger opinion on the Fidelizer software. I am using the free version, and I strongly believe it is providing benefits, especially since I was sure it wouldn’t.
By the way, Tidal HIFI still is sending 16/44.1 MQA encoded files to Roon (at least according to my signal path). The higher bitrates are no longer seen as MQA. Not sure why Tidal is allowing that…

Yes I know, but don’t really care that much TBH.
I only stream music to sample it and if I like it I tend to buy it. I did hear some excellent MQA albums when I subscribed to the Master variety, but didn’t have 24/96 versions to compare them too, so can’t really comment beyond that

Fidilizer is interesting like HQPlayer, just don’t have enough time for them at the moment.

Rugby has the same philosophy as you regarding buying stuff you like. I am a worthless cheapskate, streaming instead of buying. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t own any music files. I pay good money to stream from Tidal and Qobuz.

2 Likes

Rugby share’s the same thoughts as me, but I don’t hold that against anyone, you pay to Stream.
That is enough if that is all you want.

I got bitten (not literally) when a lot of early albums I had on streaming disappeared, and I realized that buying music was not that expensive (especially on Bandcamp)

And that is quite reasonable Jim

I just noticed one of my favorite discs by X (“See How We Are”) is MIA on Tidal after being there for over a year at least. Maybe I need to adjust my thinking as to purchasing my favorites!

1 Like

It was sneaky things like this that got me buying music more heavily again (especially when a lot of them disappeared in a couple of months)

When it comes to rights management, nothing is sacred, and there is nothing that Qobuz or Tidal can do about it.

1 Like

Found it on eBay for $17!

1 Like

I’ve always been very partial to the album right before that one…

https://i.imgur.com/gDLWQ8b.png