I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Maybe it’s not 50 percent. However, as you read the “issues,” many are just dislikes and others are because the person has not spent the time or asked the questions to know the answer. A massive UI update such as this takes some time to “learn” how things work now versus before. That does not mean there aren’t some bugs that need fixing.

1 Like

Again, you can just look around and see real issues that people are posting about, not their design preferences. You even went to the length of entering the thread about the Shuffle feature being broke and discounted it. [Moderated]

1 Like

I didn’t say that was not an issue. I said I didn’t see how someone would want to shuffle 5,000 tracks and explained why. Then, I said I guess people have differing ways of enjoying music. I’m sure there are bugs that need fixing, [moderated]

Just like you said 50% of users here don’t know how to use the app. [Moderated] You don’t have to click on the threads with problems or “negative” comments. It’s really that simple.

1 Like

It’s a free forum and we can all contribute as we wish. Balance is important for other users to see that 1.8 is not a failure at all.
If people have missed things, they need to know.

3 Likes

Telling us 50% of people don’t know how to use the app is patronizing at best. Sure, there’s some hidden settings and new ways of doing things people need to learn, but that’s not what has people down about this release overall. You can peruse the forum and see all the legitimate issues, especially around tagging, bookmarks, shuffle, performance.

I know I have no one but myself to blame for reading all this, but it’s a little dispiriting.

My personal view is that Roon is a good thing created and maintained in good faith by (possibly) good people who at any rate are not getting rich from it. And although I may just be lucky, it’s working fine at my house.

2 Likes

Are you for real with this comment?

2 Likes

I think the new design is more modern and prettier than 1.7 and has been completely stable across my Windows 10, iOS, and MacOS endpoints. I’ve never really liked the UI because it is particularly crap for those with live music collections. Nothing can beat the iTunes 2 or 3 column filter option for those types of libraries.

My biggest beef is that they continue to to push “Roon Radio” instead of giving into the fact that Tidal radio suggestions are significantly better. I still have no way of streaming Tidal track radio, artist radio, or the profoundly excellent weekly “My Mix” to any of my HiFi systems with the full MQA support that Roon is capable of delivering.

6 Likes

I disagree - Apple’s solution is weak

1 Like

For people with a bunch of live recordings from several different artists, there is nothing out there that is simpler and more intuitive to browse than a 2 column (Artist > Album) with track listings below format that Apple Music offers. That said, I like Roon for everything else and for browsing artists with more studio albums. I was hoping Roon was getting there with their updates to “Focus” but unfortunately album listing is missing.

I lost my way home (My library) while travelling down the rabbit hole

1 Like

1.8 has no voice :stuck_out_tongue:

Not a big success either

I think it is, for people who took the time to use it to actually play music and explore things…

2 Likes

IMO, this goes much deeper than a software release with bugs, it has to do with management, finances and their approach to software development. They should have production servers, development servers and quality assurance servers which would avoid buggy software releases. I hope they get it right but, oh boy right now it’s going to be painful.

My iPad broke so now use my iPhone as the main remote.

In my opinion. The 1.8 UI doesn’t translate so well for the smaller screen. There are now so many round face icons and such, it is very cluttered and difficult to navigate. Exploring album credits is very challenging, and I can’t seem to locate song credits—at least from the Now Playing screen. For jazz and classical, this was rather important.

Discover is a wonderful browsing feature but is now buried instead of being pinned. Please bring that pin back?

I am confident the shuffle issue will be addressed by Roon. There is no practical reason this was handicapped the way it is, so I imagine it will be fixed within a week.

When I use my laptop, the 1.8 UI seems to operate much better and perhaps closer as intended. I don’t like it as much as the 1.7 UI, but it doesn’t much matter since this is what we got.

2 Likes

Why do you think those with mixed opinions don’t listen to music or explore things. you are not the only one doing it.

2 Likes

No technical issues here. OSX & iOS and a very large local library. I have Tidal available, but I use it for little other than research.

I’m not excited by the new design, but I’m willing to give it some time. I’ll confess to feeling persistent, nagging 1.7 nostalgia while I’m doing it, though.

One thing I’m learning through all this: I didn’t realize how much I relied on those star ratings in 1.7 (as directional advice, not as critical gospel). The ready visibility of star ratings is what I miss most in 1.8.

But still, giving it time…

1 Like

The complaints started so early, there was never time to explore. My experience with human nature…

1 Like