I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Looking at the first post, the only obvious bug is #3.
Everything else definitely or at least very likely is a design decision, so not subject to changes during beta testing.

I do agree there a larger (public?) beta test likely would have found additional issues (and perhaps even prompted enough feedback to include the fixes for the final release), but asking for everybody’s opinion on design choices most certainly is going to result in a terrible product - at best, it’s going to be terribly boring.

Right now, there’s so much noise in the forum, and I’m afraid it drowns out the signal.

I suggest we try to separate the things we just don’t like (the wave form definitely needs to get bigger again!) from the actual bugs, and for now concentrate on the latter.

We can start complaining about the design choices in two weeks; if they still look terrible to us then, at least we know the problem really isn’t just that it’s different than it was before…

Pax,
Rolf

17 Likes

Sorry detractors, I’m loving the new look.

Much better, neat, looks fresh. And sure some things work differently but that’s always the case with new software or a new release, you just adapt (anyone ever gone from Microsoft Office to Google, now THAT’S a big change!)

39 Likes

See the Settings > General for customising the Album display:

I assume that the Roon team thought that choosing a single (or even four) album recordings would be irrelevant when so many compositions have multiple recordings. Clicking on a Composition will show all available recordings - complete with the relevant Album cover…

1 Like

Well, I have 8 days left of my trial, then my lfetime license starts - or not.

Let’s see if they fix a broken update until then. I can’t even switch to light mode to see if I like the crappy design better then, because the settings are broken :angry:

3 Likes

As OP posted, could have not said any better. It’s actually pretty hard to make this thing any uglier. :-1:

4 Likes

I would not say it is a massive failure, but given the long wait and the hype that was generated - I am slightly underwhelmed and also surprised how buggy it is.

Roon definitely needs a much more critical beta testing team!

Some stuff I really like, some I really hate and overall functionality not very stable at the moment.

3 Likes

Found the “Live dot” in Mac App, thanks. As I cant get into settings on IOS without crashing, I’ll change that settings for my iOS devices once a fix is out.

The cover thumbs would lighten-up that composition page, which now looks super dull.

Why is the descpition only taking up 40% of the available space and the right side 60% is being left “blank”. Very weird

1 Like

hahahaha, finally iOS and Windows users can feel just a few % of the pain us Linux users have felt the whole time :slight_smile:

1 Like

what’s missing for other genres?

1 Like

I agree, Rolf. And it would be useful if people who experience bugs, would be so kind as to mention in what computer-environment these bugs occur. What windows-, MacOS of Linuxversion is being used? It could make a lot of difference.

2 Likes

you might consider to temporarily change the ipad language (yes not the roon settings but the ipad language in the iOS preferences) to English (US) then the iPad App is usable

Folks, I heard that stupid suggestion a douzen times. Please note, that my iPad runs many many more Apps then just Roon and I wont f##k up all others just to accomodate Roon.

5 Likes

Well, obviously Roon is a mature product as the new release focuses on changes in color and typeface in absence of other ideas. Or the reason is the need to attract new customers with a new modern design indicating that attracting more is of prime importance.

3 Likes

I fully agree that this workaround is an embarrassment but actually the only way to use the ipad App in a stable way. And regarding your other comments all I can say is
You are welcome

1 Like

I am no fanboy here – in fact I haven’t been on this forum for about 2 years because of what I saw as fanboy antics, and after this message it will probably be another 2 years before I am back. You may breathe a collective sigh of relief.

The new UI. I think it is fantastic! I love how clean and open it is. V1.7 reminded me of an antiques store… one of those small, claustrophobic shops. There is probably something good in there, and some folks like the scavenger hunt – the sense of achievement of finding gold. To me it is frustrating… turn left…turn ri….oh wait, who stuck a rusty 12 speed in the way there? Ok, let’s back out…minding your head…

Some of the “small things” we were moaning about I think were baked into Broo, and for this release a lot of work has had to take place under the hood to be able to deal with them (like the scrolling). I think (hope) it bodes well for the future.

As for the release date and hype – Roon hired a PR team. We are pretty much all the “early adopters” in the “crossing the chasm” model and the way to cross the chasm is to market your way over it. The 100,000 number is possibly part of that. With a service like this “active users” is the interesting number… got a trial with a piece of kit? You’re a user. Not saying that the 100,000 is the grand total, but equally not sure 100,000 is the number of active users. There is still the mainstream market to go for – and they are marketing across the chasm. With that, some early adopters will want to get off the bus, and that is a fact of life (and business).

Speaking from the representative sample of 1 (assuming a population of 1 – me) I congratulate Roon on the release, for being bold, brave and taking some pretty big steps. I wish them every success. Congratulations @brian2.

52 Likes

Honestly, the UI was in bad need of fixing. And in many ways the new design did the trick. You can always argue about color schemes. Not too hot on that one either.

What bugs me much more is the serious lack of attention to detail and the total lack of profound and professional beta testing. If you give it just to your fanboys to play with - thats what you get.

3 Likes

Lucky you! Roon kept on crashing on both my Dutch iOS devices. Had to change English.

1 Like

With all due respect… was that tester not able to find these shortcomes? Or maybe this tester was not testing on avarage ‘Dutch’ equipment but on fully US localised stuff. One of the things you do as software development company with international testers is oblige them to test on hardware/software which is mostly used in their country. What happened here is indeed that ‘Massive Failure’ label which a product as Roon does not deserve! In a commercial company, this tester would have a serious conversation with his management!!!

You would have to ask him :laughing:

The lack of proper beta testing is really a concern. I was invited to the beta testing group among others who participated in the live demo session last Friday and I found half a dozen reportable issues within the first 15 minutes of playing with the new version - among other the settings problem :wink: and some classical music issues as well.

I would not have expected that it wold be so easy to find so many bugs in a release candidate. That’s really embarrassing, especially the issues due to localization of devices.

9 Likes