I think Roon should not be crowd sourcing it’s Metadata for content enrichment

You can but others contribute cash so that you can continue to do so.

Roon owns the data, we all contribute. Future development is handled by them, the software company.

Also if Roon folds we all still have the files we uploaded, bit of an odd point that.

Did you take the picture with your own camera? Who actually owns it? If that’s a concern, don’t upload it.

1 Like

Given that our annual subscription has never had its price increase since we started in 2015, I’m curious why you think this might be the case.

In fact, given inflation over the last 6 years, the cost of an annual has actually gone down.

1 Like

Some people don’t need to ask those questions because they understand the answers, or just don’t care. For your edification however, I’ll be explicit:

You have no say in the further development and use of this data. Same goes for our translations and internet radio directory. You can offer us requests for features, but we have no obligations in that would let you have a say in the further development or use of this data.

If the company folds, the data goes with it unless we decide to open up the mostly useless data (the vast majority of the data is favoriting and adjustments of licensed images which we are not allowed to give away if we ceased to exist).

If the company is sold, the details would be part of the terms of acquisition, but it can be expected that anything that Roon had before would most likely become property of the acquirer.

I am very happy Roon took this approach. This is a vibrant and resourceful community. The more Roon allows for us to contribute, the better. i would love to OPTIONALLY be able to see:

• most Favorited artists by genre
  • shareable playlists
  • Roon user album ratings
  • Roon user reviews

Again, all optionally turned on or off.

I have not issue with Roon asking users to help tweak images or upload them. I have done it some and found it mildly relaxing!

3 Likes

For me the Metadata enrichment of my existing library is one of the main reasons for using Roon, which I have paid for, therefore expect this as part of the service being delivered and not a DIY task.
If I wanted that, I can return to the 1,000 or so, Artist images I collected myself, cropped to add into my local version of Asset, and display then within a UPnP Controller application (Naim’s own), along with an interface to Rovi sourced content regarding the Artist’s material.

If you have unhappy customers they will start nitpicking the smallest and most insignificant things.

Perhaps it would be prudent to put a hold on cosmetic and minor functional improvements and concentrate on stabilising the platform before adding anything new.

6 Likes

This is all I can comment on this discussion: :man_facepalming:t5:

5 Likes

You are getting this delivered to you, via Roon.

The fact that users have also contributed is pretty irrelevant to you.

1 Like

So don’t contribute and it won’t be DIY.

I really don’t understand why this concept is so difficult for many to understand.

You will benefit from the work of everyone else who contributes, even if you don’t contribute.

Those who contribute are doing so with the full understanding that their efforts will help themselves as well as others, even if those others do not contribute.

Those who contribute do so purely out of their own desire to do, and many consider that their efforts helping others is a positive thing, not some form of “being used by the man”.

8 Likes

Are people really this cynical or they have nothing better to do on a Sunday evening 6 days before Christmas?

1 Like

I’m sick in bed with COVID and am bored of watching movies. I’d love to work but I can’t concentrate long enough. Brain fog. :mask:

I tried to play Minecraft with my kid on our personal server, but I also smashed my thumb in the door due to the previously stated brain fog, and it hurts to move the joystick.

Mostly, I’ve been adjusting photos of artists :slight_smile:

8 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: The solution to DB corruption

Get well soon…

2 Likes

Get well soon. And end this thread. It isn’t leading anywhere :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for this

I hope you get back on your feet soon. Hoping for the fastest recovery.

2 Likes

I’ve had an absolute blast adding images and logos.
I apparently listen to a lot of 80’s punk that have no images.
Sadly, I haven’t been paying attention to who owns the rights. I’ll change tact there.

1 Like

Even that doesn’t necessarily mean you have the rights to distribute a photo.

I have concert photos that I took with my camera that are basically owned by the artist whose management granted me limited distribution rights in exchange for access.

I have others with no such contract, but then name image and likeness rights come into play.

Nothing is ever as simple as it seems.

1 Like

I contributed via Art Director.

I found it an interesting process. It definitely made me think about images, placement, and my preferences. I don’t see any issue with asking users.

After all users have been helping shape the software for many years.

1 Like