Ideas for a Roon Core Server

The problem is that by the time you ‘buy up’ enough NAS to get an i3 processor you are well over $1000. The entry level NAS come with Celeron or Atom CPUs that are under spec. They may work, but they are not designed for Roon. Why would you want to spend several hundred dollars more for a NAS to run Roon when you can spend the difference on, oh, a lifetime subscription to Roon or five years of Qobuz?

Now, if you are doing a LOT of other stuff that will also run on a NAS, but almost never at the same time, that might make some sense. But there is no simple equivalence between a NAS and a NUC. You have to spend a LOT more for a NAS to do what you can do for a $500 NUC setup.

There’s also this KB article that puts the pros and cons for both sides. Personally, give me a NUC every time.

2 Likes

Great explanation, thanks.

Well, for me, a well spec’d desktop every time. :wink:

Not correct. I’m running roon off a QNAP NAS without a problem. The music is on the NAS and the Core runs off the NAS’s CPU. The database is located on an SSD in the NAS. Roon automatically picks up when new files are added - you just need to set it to monitor the relevant directory.

What’s not correct?
Roon running on a device other than a NAS dos not reliably pick new files added to the NAS.

This has been a known problem for a long time

How’s that?

Sorry - I misunderstood you. In your first post, you said " Roon playing music files that are on a NAS is problematic." I interpreted this to mean that you were running Core and files on NAS - which Roon has no trouble with.

Settings > Storage > add the relevant NAS Folders (I have currently 4 folders monitored)

No problem. I misunderstand all the time, ask anyone. :slightly_smiling_face:

In context of the current discussion, this doesn’t make any sense.

Those entries are the directories where one’s music files are. Without those entries, Roon won’t find any music whether new or old.

Those directories are not being ‘monitored’ correctly, through no fault of Roon’s, when the Core is on a device other than the NAS. That was the whole point of my post.

As to whether they are ‘monitored’ correctly when the Core is on the NAS, I wouldn’t know.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.