Impossibly Large Music Collections

I prefer to have done it automatically. Next morning everything is backuped. BTW When something is written to the server, it will immediatly mirrored to another system. So i have a complete copy of all data in the same structure. Just in case…

I’m one of those users with more music than I arguably need. My collection is about 150K tracks but honestly, I don’t see the problem. I love having all this variety. Maybe it will take me years to listen to all of it but I’m up for the challenge.

1 Like

So when your master repository is destroyed by malware or incompetence this is instantly synchronized to your backup? :slight_smile:

There are at least three versions of the backup-files. The amount of versions is between 3 and 30, depending on the file. Important files which may have changes every day (like a daily customer protocol-file) are backuped in 30 versions. So there is more than a complete month versioned. The restore of the file can be done be specifiing a certain date, file-version of April 1th ore older for example.
Restricted access from outside the LAN, a separate firewall and of course uptodate virus-scanner are running 24h.

2 Likes

You did not understood the system because I did not explain clear enough. Files are instantly mirrored to a second system. That is not a backup, it is a mirror.
Every day, shortly after midnight a backup-job is running to copy the changed and new files to a backup-system. This backup-system sores the files in versions, so a file can be resored skipping a cerain amount of versions.
All three servers are an UPS connected. They will shutdown several minutes after a powerfailure occurs.

I had a feeling you were “on top of things”. :slight_smile: It’s worth mentioning though, syncronizing has it’s issues as well as backing up to secondary storage.

1 Like

Yes of course, yo are right. Mirroring copies all “problems, errors, and so one” but it provides a second system which may still run when the primary system is down. It happend to me that the primary server was down because of a technical failure. I had the backup in the backup-system, but no place to restore the files to! This is not a problem for music-files, some days with vinyl instead of Roon is fine. But I needed the time-sheets at the end of the month to produce the invoices. Therefore I copy all important data to SECURESAFE (www.securesafe.ch). I was able to download the files from this very secure cloud and produce the invoices.

1 Like

I guess Zurich, Switzerland is a safe enough place to keep backups. :grin:

No! It is far more safe than Zurich!

1 Like

Probably safer than Zurich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes that is it. Even the Swiss Banks use that safe and this company. It is not convinient to use but secure and safe, absolutely safe.

Without insulting those with super large collections, they are just hoarders :joy:They don’t care about quality. You are on the threshold though.

I think that a very large collection is not necessarily to listen to every single song. Personally, 90% of my listening is done via “shuffle all”. It is more like a radio station that I’ve curated. I can hear a mix of favorites and deep tracks that I haven’t heard before, at least not that I remember. It keeps things fresh, while not going too far into things that I don’t want to hear. If I hear something that I don’t like, I remove it from my collection. What I consider as my collection is about 80% steaming from Qobuz, and 20% owned files. I could never purchase all the music that I rent. I’d be broke. I don’t feel guilty about using streaming, I do go see a lot of shows, and I buy March. I support the artists as best as I can.

2 Likes

But the data is not stored in Zurich.

All my Data is Stored in Zurich was my third Techno album.

6 Likes

I would call it „a collector“. Trying to get the best quality (24/96 & 24/192 if possible) on one hand on the other I am looking for special recordings an of course recordings which I was part of the audiance. There are only a few shows being published on CD or Vinyl. But there are still some. On one I was even sitting on the stage facing Keith Jarrett. Luckily I have the officially published CD and the CD is ripped to my server.

1 Like

Is not about resolution, but, about the mastering, imho. I try to collect the best sounding version that has been released. Steve Hoffman forums are a great place to research the differences in releases.

4 Likes

Says you! Come on if any of us truly cared about quality we would only listen to 100% analog recordings via vinyl playback, not these so called high resolution digital recordings, which are strictly a numbers game. :rofl:

3 Likes

Welcome to “The Vinyl Junkie’s” club👍

3 Likes