Innuos Zenith MKIII as Roon Core

It’s exactly what I experience (Zenith mk2)

I don’t know how this works but I think it has to do with buffering.
If I add a new album to a playlist way before it must start then it mostly goes well, but when I want to add a track after the track that is already playing it often goes wrong.

Unfortunately it is still buggy, but given the SQ for now I am willing to take it for granted. Hope it will be solved, of course

1 Like

The ELAC 1.7 Essentials version looks like it shares the same codestream the full Roon product with a some feature modules disabled so you get no DSP, no signal chain, no Chromecast support, no DSD, and you can’t make your PC/MAC/iPhone/Android an endpoint. You can use Roon Ready and Airplay endpoints

I agree now with everyone who’s found the new Experimental mode to be unstable. In the last couple of days it’s failed numerous times, always at track boundaries. It can begin a new album by stuttering and skipping. It can be playing a playlist and fail to go to the next track, drifting off instead into Roon radio.

I’ve got a remote session booked in with the Innuos support team to look into this. There’s a suggestion that the issue is related to certain Wi-Fi extenders. The rationale behind this is a little confusing in this instance as the behaviour for my setup is only found in using the experimental mode. I’ll feedback any findings here.

How did it go?
I don’t have wifi and experience the same problems, also only in experimental mode. I can barely imagine it has to do something with wifi extenders (which I don’t even have in house).

I use Zenith Mk3 as Roon Core without any issues or concerns.
Main listening room Zenith streamer output to Linn Selekt Katalyst using Ethernet cable via Roon or direct.
Not tried DSP or upsampling as happy with quality.
Other end points all good using LAN to power line adaptors & WiFi network to Home Pod, Mac desktop

Hi Paradiso,
Not sure if you are posting in general, or replying specifically to the dozen or so posts immediately above. Roon Core itself is stable with the Zenith Mk3, that is, used as core and player. The problem is with the “experimental mode” that uses Roon core and Roon remote but substitutes the Squeezelite/IPeng player for Roon’s own player. This mode is still unstable; it can produce stuttering and track skipping at transitions between tracks although it doesn’t happen all the time. Although it’s much more stable now than it was prior to Innuos 1.4.4.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Replacing my Zenith MK II with a Nucleus?

Innous Support replied, that those are known issues which are not yet resolved. That’s why it still is experimental mode.
Sound is so good, that i can ignore the bugs. Not happily but the pros outweigh the cons massively.
Claudius

I have to offer a different opinion. The experimental mode is much better than it used to be, but it’s still no contest compared to the Squeezelite Ipeng mode, which betters it considerably in transparency. The new (and still unstable) experimental mode has notably high noise, still.

1 Like

You mean upnp mode or what is squeezelite iPeng mode? Or can I use squeezelite with iPeng?

I’m just referring to the 3rd player available on Innuos platforms. There is Roon, the Roon experimental mode, and then Innuos’ own player which runs a version of Squeezelite and is controlled from IPeng on a portable device. This mode is selectable from myinnuos.com, under “Choose Music Server Integration”, by clicking UPnP Streamers.

Thanks. Interesting. I find this mode less resolving, flat, less natural. Guess as usual everything is system dependent.

I got Nuno to turn my Zenith into a Squeezebox streamer. I then enabled Squeezebox support in Roon. The resulting SQ was terrible. I imagine it has to do with the LMS emulation in Roon and the lack of RAAT. The Innuos LMS Implementation and the Experimental mode of Roon Core combined with SB Lite, both provide excellent SQ. I told Nuno that we need a Roon Endpoint SB Lite mode.

My system is very revealing.

Router —> GigaFoil —> SGC i9 Roon Core —> Innuos Zenith 2 —> USB —> Matrix DD —> I2S —> PsAudio DirectStream (balanced) —> Accustic Arts Preamp —> Bryson 7B ST monos —> Maggie 3.7i & pair REL 328 subs.

I move my setup back and forth between LMS and Roon endpoint depending on whether I am using Roon to explore music. IPeng is fine and LMS better SQ. I employ both for deep listening. It is a snap to move back and forth.

My Zenith M2 had performance issues running Roon core.Nuno told me that these were Linux kernel related and mostly have now been resolved. However, I already invested in an i9 SGC Roon server. So, I have not tested his contention.

Are you running the i9 SGC as server with the Innuos as streamer? How does that work out for SQ compared to the Innuos alone ? I’m not sure from your posts whether your system problems permitted you to do the comparison. I ask because one or two others have said that splitting roon between the Nucleus (server) and Innuos (streamer) was worse than Innuos alone configured as core and player.

I tried running Roon Core on my Zenith M2. I used the experimental mode with Squeezelite player. The sound was good. Roon performance was terrible. Nuno says it was due to OS issues that have been subsequently fixed. I can’t confirm that because I gave up and bought an i9 SGC for a Roon core. I use my Zenith as the Roon Endpoint. I also sometimes reconfigure it to run LMS. The sound is slightly better.

Roon actually advises splitting the Core from the Endpoint. However, that introduces more chords and more boxes that can introduce noise into the system. I personally think that the Hardware requirements of a Core, which is a database and music library, plus DSP program, are different from an Endpoint. Core requires memory and processing muscle. Endpoint requires low power to reduce noise and the lowest, coolest processor. Crucial is the Endpoint’s power implementation and internal noise mitigation through isolation. This Innuos does superbly.

1 Like

When you run it like that, are you still using the internal storage on Innuos as the Roon storage for your music? Can your Core (SonicTransporter i9) be “pointed” to the internal audio storage in Innuos? Thanks

I have my music on the i9 and the Zenith. I only have 800 GB. So, not a big deal to have it in two places.