Innuos Zenith MKIII as Roon Core

For info - 1.4.3 has been made available now. :grinning:

2 Likes

Adds support for import from USB in exFAT!!

1 Like

Anyone knows if it’s possible to replace the hd by th euser and/or upgrade the ram in the Mini mk3?

Hi @Luca_Alebardi i’ve asked Innuos before if i can swap in a bigger SSD. They advised the only way is to send in the unit. The quote was huge compared to the retail price of the SSD i was asking for (and that was with no return of the current SSD too).

Thanks Hugo, that’s unfortunate.
I don’t know why, but I bet that it should be possible, just swapping the hard disk by the user.
One easy test could be swapping the hd with another one you already have, and if the Innuos don’t recognize it, simply reattaching the existing one.

Same could be possible for the ram modules.
I don’t own an Innuos so I can’t try.
Too bad.

From internal pics online, they look to use normal SuperMicro motherboards and Teac CD drives. The HD is under the CD drive and not quite visible, but looks to be connected via a standard sata cable. It might be possible to pull the drive and clone it to a larger drive. The memory looks like basic laptop DDR RAM and as long as you are using the same type should be a easy switch.

But, those are expensive items and I’m sure that doing so would void any warranty from Innuos. If I had one to mess around with, I could probably pull it apart and see whats going on.

1 Like

Yeah if a cheaper device i’d have a crack but at these prices…
Though now you’ve got me thinking i might at least pop to the top and have a look.

Love to hear what you find.

Is there any seal that you need to break when opening the Innuos?
If not I would try to swap the hd for sure.
At the moment I’m torn between a zenmini and a Fanless pc…

1 Like

@Luca_Alebardi @Hugo_Sharp this “sent in” might be necessary since the InnuOS and LMS is installed on the hdd i think , you can see that in the LMS settings. There you can find the path to the folders.and maybe other settings might be done to work with ssd. I even find out the path for the assetUpnp settings with which innuos is setted up since i discovered some issues with metadata. But they quickly made me aware to mess arround :smile: there. I use also a zenmini mk2 with m2tech USB out , works good til now. I can even stream direct over audio device to a google speaker panasonic sc-ga 10. But i am on the way to check if i can improve something using a PI as endpoint device because of that “rules 1 to 5” in the user guide sq section. But had no time yet. My little daughter has other thoughts :laughing:

And i even think that the cpus used in the first generation of the devices were better than actual !? :thinking: but this had to be proved… but less ram there

Cloning the old hard disk onto a bigger one is trivial.
If Innuos didn’t implement any special control on the hd hardware, swapping the hd should work.
Upgrading the ram modules should be even easier and safe.

About ram i get the clear answer from support that its not possible :pensive:
Maybe about hd but not so easy to an ssd !? But 2tb is enough for me now.
I guess there are no ram modules like on pc. Maybe they are soldered !?

IN the pictures, they are snap in, just like the memory slots on a laptop.

Well ok… Maybe the “not possible” is then because the mini mkII can not manage more than 2gb or it is merchandising because of the new mkIII out… Who knows ? I am not willing to crash my mini :laughing: i love it :smile: so i will get ropieeeXL and try it when i find time for…

Worst thing that can happen is that the mini does not recognise the new ram, you put back the old one and that’s all.

@Luca_Alebardi @Rugby so… now u made me curious to know how this looks inside the mini mkII :grin:… i will see if i come arround to open it at night and have a look inside …

Well i did it :+1: …but i wish i would have not :disappointed_relieved:

but anyway, there are 2ram Slots and the mini itx board supports up to 8GB but only DDR3L 1333. You can put in some 1600 to but they would work only on 1333 Clock.

As i supposed ssd is not supported, maybe it can be done with an external PCIe Card, there are 2 mini PCIe connectors.

But most and for all i am very dissapointed and disenchanted about soooo highly praised audiophile Server Manufacturers. And i don’t mean only Innuos. I opened another one before but i thought it looks so only because of functionality build and not as best possible audiophil device. But i was wrong. They look all the same inside, no matter what manufacturer and the components are just as the requirements accordingly, not much more. Maybe at the higher Prices over 5k they will at least look better inside. So if this is the future than you can do nothing better than build it your own, put some fancy and quick components together wich you get for small amount, a Linux or something else and then roon. You will have better value mentioning the costs. Because after all, i think that what we pay is mostly for their Server, Audio or whatever Software running since the Hardware can not be the decisive Price criterion… Industrial mini itx boards with standard Connections. The cables (SATA,Power) are very stiff and crammed somehow (i will do it better after ram upgrade), the hdd is running on 5400rpm tsss…. So for this Price i really would have expected more belonging to Hardware and upgrade possibilities :pensive:

but ok, id does his mainjob well til now, and i still love the way how good it sounds (whereat i am very sure now that it is mainly my Receiver :slight_smile: ) and can be managed… roon works fine as well so far, probably even better after ram upgrade… so i will not have to buy something new in the next 2 years for my small Library and needs. Maybe a RAAT Ready Network Bridge (but not found one yet :slight_smile: ) to feed my Receiver with native DSD since it is the only way without USB DAC in…

I don’t understand why you say that an SSD is not supported.
I guess that the Innuos HD is connected via a normal SATA red cable to the motherboard, so what’s preventing you from swapping a SATA SSD HD?

Regarding the cheap hw components, remember that you are paying for the Innuos integration job, it’s up to you to decide whether it’s worth your money.

All of the servers I have seen are essentially based on a commercially available PC motherboard. There may be tweaks and enhancements to hardware and software but essentially at their core they are a motherboard, processor, memory, storage and a PSU. If you build yourself you have the ability to reconfigure or upgrade at will, but at the expense of the value added functionality these companies offer.

Nothing. As I mentioned previously, it does not support directly a NVMe drive. But, a SATA SSD would work. Although, since it is a custom OS, necessary Trim functions, etc might not be available.