Innuos Zenith MKIII as Roon Core

Nope, the Naim Uniti Core is not part of the Roon Ready update. Unfortunately! The Naim Uniti Core seems to be like an ignored ugly step sister never to be included in any upgrades.

1 Like

Interestingly they make no overt distinction in their marketing launch of Roon Ready. They just say the Uniti range. It may be to do with the fact that if you use it as a Roon endpoint you are pulling files off it then sending them back which might cause issues.

I have an Innuos Zenith Mk3 and would like to share my experience of using roon with squeezelite in experimental mode.
When it works - it sounds great. There is more weight to the music and it sounds fab.
However there are glitches - 2 that stand out:

1. When you change the format - dsd ->cd or high res -> cd you get random static noise
  2. When you let the music play - it tends to auto mute the directstream dac

I have thus reverted to upnp.

However if there are any @Roon_Superuser product team folks here, I’d like them to see the possibilities for roon - if they opened the platform for some add on development.
Without squeezelite roon is a no go for me and il cancel my 1 year sub next year. With squuezelite, I would buy the lifetime membership. Il let roon figure out the cost benefits…sonically there is room for magic, but a completely closed of ecosystem wont get roon there.

Cheers.

1 Like

i know Innuos have an internal switch that needs go be changed to make it 220V ready. Send them a note and they will confirm. I think you might have to send the unit to a dealer to make the change and not void the warranty…but you should be alright.

1 Like

Well said. It’s been asked elsewhere with much pushback from the Roon faithful but there’s so much SQ improvement to be had from things like this.

1 Like

It’s not the Roon faithful. It’s the “everything sounds the same” crowd. I am a Roon faithful, and still enjoy what SqueezeLite has to offer on my ZENith MK3

2 Likes

The more pushback the Roon faithful do the less people like me will subscribe to or buy lifetime.
The attitude of pushback and arrogance has fell many tech firms. There will be many more Roons to gladly fill customer demands and there will be many more faithfuls in that universe.
:slight_smile: not fussed as to what they do. I have taken a 1 year option.

Hi - curious are you using the Innuous native sqeezelite player and server ? Or are you using Roon in experimental mode ?
Would love to hear what difference u find sq wise between the 2.

Yes of course. Good distinction. I count myself as such also. Hence why i’m here like you!

1 Like

This!

When it works. Once in the queue, it’s fine

Maybe consider adding your feedback for better integration in the feature requests page…

Pointless. It only triggers certain “everything-sounds-the-same” and “placebo-ABX Audiophile, Slayer of Snake Oil” types. It goes nowhere. I have tried commenting on this on another thread, and got a lot of push back from people that never tried any Innuos. So I gave up.

1 Like

Can either of you explain what is meant by better integration? Squeezelite runs as a service and receives a stream using LMS’ protocol which is mimicked in Roon. It works, with any PCM and any DSD. You get irregular behaviour look at your hardware and/or your Squeezelite config.

Keep going [moderated]…

I used LMS since the very early days of Slimdevices until making the switch to Roon. Prior to that I had been running Squeezelite on a number of SOC boards serving as LMS transports for a number of years.

When Roon launched and added support for Squeezeboxes I used Squeezelite on a SOC for many months before finally switching to Roon Bridge when it became available for the SOC boards I was using. In all the months using Squeezelite with Roon I never once encountered any issues whether playing PCM or DSD. If you’re experiencing dropouts / issues switching between formats look at your Squeezelite config (there are many config options).

If you’re not prepared to do that how do you expect Roon to respond to a request like “improve integration with Squeezelite”?

Now see if you can conjure a considered reply rather than just resort to name calling.

Obviously you don’t own any Innuos, so you cannot try for yourself.

I have the ZENith for about 10 months now.

From actual experience of owning it and playing it in daily basis:

1 - There are no issues whatsoever when playing from Innuos itself via iPeng app (squeezelite). None whatsoever.

2 - Issues come when using the Roon SqueezeLite experimental feature on Innuos. Dropouts, etc.

Roon has publicly stated they don’t support SqueezeLite, so I understand that. I personally, resigned to this fact, and to coping with the issues with SqueezeLite experimental feature on ZENith and Roon. I love Roon, have spent a lot of my time in curating my library (ripped CDs and Tidal Hi-Fi), and will stay with it.

2 Likes

There is no name calling. I have called out that a product - Roon in this case sounds better with another product squeezelite.

Instead of trashing and doubting first - "

consider that the experience one is having is not “conjured” but real.

The feedback is meant to make Roon better, dismissing one’s experience with anothers is not addressing a fact but merely attacking the person calling out the xperience. Like @thyname and @Hugo_Sharp have stated - try first, and then pass judgement.

[moderated]

[Moderated]
Nobody is saying you’re not having issues and nobody is denying that to you and possibly others your setup sounds divine, however it is configured. Have you considered the possibility that the problem may lie in the manner in which Innuos have implemented of Squeezelite?

Yes. When I use squeezelite natively there are No issues.
[Moderated]

Yes, as I mentioned on my previous reply to you right above, a few minutes ago: