Install Roon ROCK on a mac mini?

Sorry… My English was unclear. I’m saying they aren’t the same class of computer. I didn’t mean to imply that they aren’t the same thing. They aren’t even in the same ballpark. It’s like comparing a Honda vs a Lamborghini.

The Synology is well below our minimum spec requirements, and the Mac with m1 is well above what is needed to run Roon (or most other software).

Synology is usually very conservative with their hardware, making it just enough to do the task to serve files (which takes no real “power”).

1 Like

very clear. Thank you!

That makes a LOT of sense as the performance declines until I have to reboot. Thx for clarifying.

Looking forward to that day. I’m happy that the Roon development team is supporting MacOS.

Yes, the fly in the ointment is macOS. But the hardware is fine. You know, installing and dual booting Windows 10 on a Mac mini is not difficult. Give problematic macOS its own partition. Run Roon on the Windows partition.

AJ

Normally I agree with your posts, but this? I think Roon (in its current incarnation) is the culprit, not macOS.

If Mono is the root issue, why are all other Roon platforms using .NET, while macOS is the lone outlier still using Mono? That has to place at least some culpability on Apple and its walled garden approach to the rest of the industry.

AJ

Understood but I never bothered tbh.

A few posts up in this thread, fingers crossed it meets expectations on macOS.

My understanding it has to do with Microsoft implementing .NET on macOS.

Really? I used to have a sonicTransporter i9 and I replaced it with an M1 Mac mini. The M1 Mac mini has proven to be every bit as reliable. I am running the Roon Server app with no GUI and I have had zero memory issues. I am running HQPlayer Desktop on the same machine and have had zero issues with HQPlayer or Roon…

Why not? Taking action is more effective than bemoaning and complaining, which you have done quite a bit in several threads.

AJ

That’s already done…Roon just has to release a version using it.

There are no issues with HQP, and Roon “runs” but I have a large library (250k+ tracks) and Roon eventually grinds to a halt. You really cannot compare apples and orages!!!

First, this was not made clear. Second, I have an Apple ecosystem and do NOT care to put Windows in it. Why don’t you think about what you’re writing before telling me not to mention issues, when you don’t even know my other requirements??? I expected better from you.

I will look. But I doubt that Microsoft has implemented .NET as an across the board release, prob only for the latest macOS (which is not what I can use in my mini). BTW, I am not complaining about them not releasing for older macOSs! I’ve moved on to NUCs.

Is het niet wat lastig om steeds je mbp aan te moeten hebben staan als je de mbp als Roon Server gebruikt?

Translation
Isn’t it a bit inconvenient to have to have your mbp on all the time when using the mbp as a Roon Server?