Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution

It wasn’t an issue everywhere, but unfortunately it was on the way to work and to my kids’ karate. When I switched to Qobuz there simply wasn’t a problem anymore. I am trying Amazon now on a free trial and no issue with them either. :blush:

Glad to see more high resolution services that aren’t Tidal and their MQA snakeoil. Supporting this is obviously in Roon’s interest when Amazon wants to play ball with them, but I just don’t see the reason to use the service over Quboz. Annual plans of Quboz are a good value (5 dollars cheaper than a prime HD sub), integrated in Roon, same 24/192 FLAC and is not Amazon. Monocultures should be actively avoided imo. So that’s all the more reason to keep supporting Quboz!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, Quboz is still only officially available in 12 countries. So, that’s roughly 195 countries less 12 that can use Qubuz officially - therefore 183 reasons alone. :laughing:

Yes, I hear there are work arounds, but they likely come at an additional cost. Further, if support was needed, I doubt that would be forthcoming. Perhaps there are additional work arounds. Either way, I would personally not use Quboz on the basis they do not support users in Australia.

As for monocultures, that’s clearly one’s ethical decision making process. I will say, I have not bought a single item from Amazon ever! Notwithstanding, I would welcome their integration if Amazon chose to support Roon.

From my perspective, it’s about making Roon reach the widest possible audience, so that it grows and improves. Similarly, as per most suggestions, I see throughout this forum, regardless of the number of likes/responses a thread may receive; on the basis it’s not too awkward to implement. The more functionality provided can only be for the betterment of Roon & the user experience.

Cheers.

1 Like

Ouch, sorry my perspective was US focused. You’re totally right, those other countries should care. I’d take Amazon over Tidal :grinning:

I agree. Roon reaching the widest audience is the best case. Elevating playback for everybody is a great goal, I hope they achieve.

1 Like

Can Roon’s archtects/designers/DEVs come up with a design that is not intrusive? then we are all set, I guess Amazon is worried/concerned about security, unless Amazon acquires Roon !!! Or Roon buys Amazon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: High resolution audio from Amazon

VPN…you’re welcome

Thanks Bill, I wasn’t aware I needed to spell out all workarounds. I’ll keep that in mind next time.

…You’re welcome!

I think Qobuz should work on getting themselves in to Canada and other countries, rather than Amazon into Roon. I was a big supporter of getting Amazon music into Roon. But now that I’m a Qobuz subscriber, there’s no turning back. I like Qobuz very much and Amazon gets enough money from me for just about everything else. I want to spread my business around. Soon there will be no competition for anything.

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:…thank you sir

There really isn’t an issue. I’ve done it myself

I am not going to compare or argue one service over another but what I will say is that having more options of music services is a good thing. While you or I may selfishly feel we are completely satisfied with one particular service there will be newcomers that feel otherwise. For now it is what it is. Amazon is not even in a place to allow deep API integration with 3rd party streamers/transports. They can’t even make their own Echo Link perform beyond 24/48Khz. Time will tell. Thank God we have Tidal and Quobuz options.

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: High resolution audio from Amazon

Qobuz just works. It does all that my household needs. The only other service we use is Pandora for elevator music at home and office.

That said, I do appreciate Amazon devices like Echo Show and home (and office) automation has been great (for us).

Like you, I give a lot of funds to Amazon, but I am uncertain whether I want their HiRes music. It would be like patching a hole for which I cannot envision a leak.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: High resolution audio from Amazon

I like Qobuz, and they’ve demonstrated to me that they care about what they do and those of us who subscribe to them. I personally can’t say the same about Tidal and wouldn’t be sad if they went away. Also, in the end I am a consumer and will want to exchange my money for a product or service to a company that provides optimal value.

4 Likes

I heard about Qobuz on YouTube and that it was coming to the US. When it did, I subscribed to it and Roon on the same day. I do not believe, I would have done one without the other. The combination is satisfying to us although my wife would like a VPI Scout and a phono preamp. The idea of record store shopping appeals to her. Making Jeff Bezos wealthier appeals to me. Maybe with Amazon HiRez, we can do both.

2 Likes

Agreed! I’ve said it before, monocultures benefit nobody. I wish Amazon well, I’d rather stick with the underdogs to avoid yet another market being completely assimilated by Amazon. Unless Amazon does something that is truly beyond what is being offered, currently it looks to be another solid hires option for those who value music.

1 Like

And VPN alone won’t work with Amazon Music HD (for me in Oz), the way it works with Qobuz.

When you get to the payment screen for Amazon Music HD, it needs a credit card with a US (or UK) billing address. Since my cards both have Oz billing addresses (with my banks), it fails, regardless of VPN.

Different to Qobuz.

1 Like

Thanks @dabassgoesboomboom - that is interesting to note. :sunglasses:

Not entirely sure how I got caught up in this discussion - I don’t use any streaming service. I gave up Tidal, just prior to Roon: way too much of my own music & it just wasn’t getting used, other than to hear the odd new release (if they had it) or perhaps something I wanted to hear missing from my music collection very infrequently.

Notwithstanding, I was pointing out the people can suggest this or that, consideration needs to be taken into account that Qobuz, in particular, isn’t officially available in some 183 countries.

And yup, somebody wanted to point out the use of VPN, even though that was spoken about, not necessarily by name, as a ‘workaround’, but completely misses the point entirely that it isn’t officially available.

I guess Qobuz happy to do business with whoever is wishing to subscribe, Amazon are not.

I am about providing as many options as possible to meet the needs of as many people as possible, whether I use a service or not. Of course, we know that thus far Amazon doesn’t seem interested, so the discussion surrounding Amazon is moot.

Cheers mate.

2 Likes

This was with respect only to sign up, its not required for streaming use that I recall.