Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution

This was with respect only to sign up, its not required for streaming use that I recall.

Yep, I use Qobuz and quite happily but I had to sign on with a UK based VPN location. No VPN needed since. I’m guessing Qobuz just needs plausible deniability with the record companies over licensing for different geographical areas.

I was referring to Qobuz using a VPN. Works fine, you just need to decide which country you want o subscribe to.

Good thing with Qobuz, you have 30 days to give it try. Plenty of time to decide if it suits you or not.

I tried a few different ones but stuck with the UK Qobuz in the end

A post was merged into an existing topic: High resolution audio from Amazon

I last posted on this topic quite some time ago, and I am sad to see little if any progress in integrating Amazon Music HD into Roon. I’ve seen the replies that state it is Amazon’s problem - they must do something to permit this to happen. Perhaps someone with some knowledge on this can say what it is that Amazon must do and whether anyone has asked them to do it. Does Amazon ask for money to do whatever it is they must do? (They shouldn’t, because there must be more Roon users than just me who would purchase their service if it became available on Roon.)

It’s not about money. Among other reasons one is about sharing and updating meta data and music catalogs on a regular basis which I think Amazon is not interested in doing.

1 Like

Has anyone asked them (Amazon)? They are awfully good at so many things - this really shouldn’t be an overwhelming problem. I just left them feedback asking if they’ve ever thought about Roon. Wonder if anyone has ever done that before? I had a chat with an Amazon customer service agent who told me to use the feedback form - someone will look at it. I also found that Roonlabs is a vendor on Amazon. The product being sold comes with a free Tidal subscription! When I said to the customer service agent that I wished that could be Amazon HD instead of Tidal, he agreed with me.

How about a Roon “skill” for echo (Alexa) products. The skill, if developed, could do two things - allow the Roon library to be played on echo devices and (more importantly) allow the Roon library (and the audio system to which it is attached) to be controlled by the echo device.

Pipe dreams?

I tweet them daily, coming up with cute (at least I think so) ways to using an aspect of their tweet to ask/entice them to integrate to Roon.

Here is an example from today:

Me:

7 Likes

Hilarious! :+1:

3 Likes

But realistically speaking, I think Roon integration into Amazon Music would never happen, it does not matter how much we want it to happen.

This is because Roon software solution is too intrusive security-wise, and Amazon does not like to take that risk, unless Roon “acquire” Amazon. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Go back to the top and you’ll see that many of us have received responses from them

Huh? Amazon builds hardware that records the words spoken in your home!

11 Likes

Yes - but that’s completely irrelevant. I guess what QuinnT is saying is that Amazon is not interested in giving any 3rd party the type of access to Amazon’s systems and data that would be required to allow integration of Amazan streaming services with the likes of Roon. This would partly be because of the perceived or real risk (to Amazon) of allowing 3rd party systems to have access to their systems and data, but also because Roon will almost certainly not even be on the Radar of Amazon because of the disparity in size and customer bases of the two organisations.

Most likely, the only way Roon will be able to provide integration with Amazon music is if Amazon concludes that Roon is better than their own front end offering and decides to buy them out.

I hope I’m wrong!

3 Likes

Yes! As an Amazon Prime member, I have responded several times to Amazon’s frequent emails suggesting that I try out their streaming services by stating that I will not consider moving to an Amazon streaming service unless I am able to use it in conjunction with Roon. I just don’t think it’s going to happen unless Amazon decides to buy out Roon - and I wouldn’t want that to happen for a whole host of reasons.

5 Likes

We have two perfectly good streaming services that need our support, I don’t want to see the streaming world swallowed up by Amazon and Spotify and neither do you. You won’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.

15 Likes

I fully agree with you: “We have two perfectly good streaming services that need our support”. I don’t see any advantages in using Amazon Music HR (and the service is not available in Canada - from the last time I checked, it’s only available in U.S., UK, Germany, and Japan). Let’s focus on things that matter: SQ, streaming improvements (if applicable - that works fine for me), usability, etc.

5 Likes

Unfortunately Qobuz also is only available in a limited number of countries .
I have mentioned it before in this forum, but in order to survice in the long run, a number of Streaming companies should start working together (and eventually fusion into 1 company ).
I think about Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer, and probably 1 or 2 more.
That’s the only way they can bring down costs, and have enough subscribers to support cd-quality (and higher) streaming to compete with the Amazon’s and Spotify of this world.
Dirk

I’d rather my money go to Jay Z than Bezos

5 Likes

I generally agree with this sentiment, however, in my specific case I walked away from Tidal because of their poor streaming technology in the Bay Area on cellular networks and poor customer service.

I am now with both Amazon and Qobuz, who has much better caching so there is no issue anywhere in the Bay Area. Also, their customer service is great!

The problem with Qobuz, however, is that their catalog is lacking and at times even what they do have that I listen to suddenly goes away.

Amazon has none of the issues above, but the problem is that there is no Roon integration.

So, I would generally support and root for the ‘little guy’. But, my motivation is to have a service that has a full catalog and good streaming tech.

1 Like

Well, if the gaps are that important, it may be worth buying them as I don’t believe amazon is coming to Roon anytime soon. (No inside knowledge here)
Personally, I have access to more music than I can listen to in my lifetime and more new stuff pops up all the time, so gaps are a non issue to me as I will never be with some music I like and enjoy. I have let the completist in me go, and life is better for it.
What’s that song? love the one your with :joy:

3 Likes