Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution

Amazon needs a carrot to want to increase the cost requirements that Roon needs in order for the integration. I believe Roon needs huge daily data dumps from Amazon music for the integration to work.

What if Roon also implemented a way to buy CDs/Vinyls from Amazon with Amazon specifically labelling albums and tracks not available by stream. Amazon would increase sales of those albums, which also benefits the artist.

I’m literally going to my local CD stores picking up albums that have a few tracks not available on streaming services, which has actually been very nostalgic and fun for me. I like it to hunting for gold since many CD albums are 99 cents and I’m adding music to my own Roon streaming service, especially because of the amazing Roon Arc app which lets me play those local files any place I have an internet connection. This also increases the number of users in Roon, because Roon is the only platform that would integrate streaming music services with content that’s ripped from your private CD/Vinyl collection. This could revitalize the CD/Vinyl market.

Artists should really consider having a few tracks on every album be exclusive to CD/Vinyl.

If they did that, I would stop supporting them. After all, the only reason I still buy albums is to support artists. Physical media is obsolete.

1 Like

I still have all my CDs, maybe 6,000. And a few hundred vinyl albums. But all ripped to lossless FLAC and I only play digital files. I now prefer to buy digital if I can get lossless. Otherwise, I buy the CD, rip it, and store away.

2 Likes

Or only available through download purchase, which is already happening. Personally I have no interest in buying CD/vinyl.

If you really want to get Amazon’s attention, offer to display Amazon ads :grimacing:

I continue to buy physical media and digital downloads … don’t want to be locked into a subscription service cause you’re only renting the music. Once you stop that subscription, you lose access to it all. So I continue to buy media to build up my collection and a music service subscription is just a supplement to me (listen/find new music, etc.). I enjoy curating my own collection (it just sucks trying to find storage space for the physical media part :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

Fair enough and I see your point. This is why I would only suggest a few tracks not their most popular. I personally wouldn’t stop buying from my favorite artist because I understand some of the artists out there are struggling to have enough sales on the pennies they make from streaming services.

The opposite is also true though. Some songs are only available on physical media as extra/bonus tracks (not available digitally). Sometimes I have to buy the physical media to get it (so a bit of research is required at times).

6,000! Wow that’s a lot of CDs, you must have an amazing collection. I also just currently listen to all my CD/Vinyl digitally and rip them.

Haha! I was thinking this as well but didn’t want to say it. Plus I think many Roon users would riot including myself. I don’t think most users who would integrate Amazon Music would have an issue with an additional tab of buying the music from Amazon as well as a list of music only available on CD/Vinyl and Roon could also get a percentage of the sale keeping Roon in business, which benefits the users of Roon that love Roon.

I’ve been buying CDs since 1985 and records since 1965. But got rid of most of my vinyl when replaced with CDs in the 1990s. My first CD purchase was the Bob Dylan Biograph box. I didn’t even own a CD player yet. :wink:

2 Likes

You started earlier then me by four years on CDs. In the 1980’s I was mostly buying cassette tapes! My Sony Walkman tape player was my childhood companion, I named her Blondie, and we rarely ever argued.

1 Like

CDs = Music Install Discs

4 Likes

another +1 for Amazon integration

2 Likes