Intel NUC fans lifespan

Have you looked at the vents to see if they are clear of dust?

Keeping the fan and heat dissipating surfaces free of dust and maintaining good airflow over them is essential if you want to preserve quiet operation and longevity.

Many thanks chaps, Iā€™ll investigate! Itā€™s out of the listening room so a little fan noise isnā€™t a problem - just the intermittent noise was quite marked and Iā€™m worried that it may be indicative of some sort of issue.

I been running the NUC8I7BEH/Rock server continuously since 2019. Never noticed the sound of the fan running but probably wouldnā€™t notice it in the media closet with the background noise of the active cooling systems. I was going to remove the MB to clean the fan but after opening it up and watching a video on the process I was concerned about messing something up. So I used low pressure compressed air through the fan port and around the inside. There was a good amount of dust blown out but not as good of a cleaning without disassembly.

The only time Iā€™ve noticed the unit getting warm was during the backup of the music library prior to opening it up for cleaning. That took several hours and it got warm to the touch quickly. Putting a small high velocity fan blowing directly on the until resolved that immediately and it stayed cool for the duration of the backup.

I donā€™t feel comfortable doing anything more than adding/replacing memory or SSD drives. I donā€™t trust my old hands to be careful enough.