Intel NUC NUC8i5BEH spec check

I’ve been using TP-Link products around my home since I adopted Roon five years ago with no issues at all related to them. Mine are single port devices connected to switches where I need more than port.

1 Like

The single port on the TP-Link goes to an Ethernet switch? That could make things simpler for me.

Yes. I have my router into one and a 5 and 8 port hanging off others. It all works seamlessly and I stream all of my TV through them as well as Roon.

1 Like

You won’t hear any improvement in sq if you use an ssd for music storage. Running Roon and it’s index on an ssd would be an improvement in performance

Did I state anything regarding improved SQ ?

I’ve got the NUC8i3BEK with an external HDD- it works great.

2 Likes

My ROCK server has been running faultlessly for quite a while now. I’ve really appreciated the help I’ve received on here.

I’m now looking at backups. I have a spare 64GB USB stick (flash drive). Would this be the simplest method to back up my ROCK server? I can set a daily schedule for backups in the middle of the night and just leave it plugged into the NUC permanently.

Personally, I wouldn’t use a USB stick, but a USB HDD or SSD. The reason is that a Roon backup consists of thousands of folders and files - and, anecdotally, writing these to the typical hardware used in a USB stick seems to affect the life of the stick adversely.

I’ve been using an M.2 120GB Samsung SSD in a USB housing for the past 5 years without issue.

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll look into acquiring a similar setup. Do you leave it permanently connected to your ROCK server?

Yes.

The ROCK/NUC is left on 24/7, and Backups are taken in the early hours of the morning.

2 Likes

Hi Geoff, all sorted now! I purchased the following:

Corsair MP510, Force Series, 240GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 Gen3 SSD and a FIDECO M.2 NVME External SSD Enclosure:

The enclosure has a USB-C socket and comes with two USB cables, one terminated in a USB-C connector and one terminated in a USB-A connector. Using the latter cable, I formatted it into NTFS format on my iMac, and then used the other USB-C cable to plug it into the Thunderbolt 3 port on my Intel NUC.

The drive was recognised by the ROCK server with no issues:

I’ve set the default backup schedule and did do one manual backup just to see if it worked, and all was fine.

Appreciate your advice!

1 Like

Glad it appears to be working. I had thought that ROCK did not use the Thunderbolt port on a NUC, but it appears as though now it does…