Intel NUC vs DIY Computer

It’s not designed to be an ‘Incremental’ backup in the way that you mean it

Specifically to Roon, it would mean that if you discovered 2-3 weeks later that 1 of the 10 Albums you deleted from Roon, you did in error…then you can go to the quarantine section of your Backup and recover the Album folder from there

The "Timed Snapshots’ required for true incremental backup are not in the product…but for Roon Media backup purposes, where our Album folders remain largely stagnant [mainly additions only]…then I think it can be sufficient for many

Efficient packaging. :slight_smile:

TBC.

1 Like

Let me guess - Azerty?

1 Like

The M.2 NVME SSD is seriously fast – instant everything.

It was a nice little puzzle getting Linux to boot off it, but now we’re off to the races.

So @ncpl and myself don’t need to hire GhostBusters then do we?? :wink:

So far my NUC install is going well, however when the server reboots the mounted internal HD disappears. How do I make that stick/automount in ubuntu server?

@Ronnie: No, you’ll be fine. :wink: Thanks for bringing this up.

@fritzg: By adding the mount to /etc/fstab. More info here.

Glad to hear that, @RBM😎

I was very impressed when I installed. Even though I am still running Win10 (Linux Roon wasn’t available) everything from boot up onwards is super quick.

See how you find things like iPad screen build now too.

Thanks to all here for the help and the patience with questions on what I now was simple issues. I couldn’t have done it without you. My experiment a couple weekends ago (and your help then) with putting linux on my old 2007 Mac Mini made this a fairly painless process. My i5 NUC is up and running with Ubuntu server. I still need to figure out activating the wifi and decide on a backup procedure to my NAS. Another thing I need to figure out is if I can use a portion of the SSD (it’s 250GB) as an HD cache.

Ubuntu server and an SSD is much faster than the 2015 Mac Mini.

2 Likes

Not too shabby… :wink:

/dev/sda is a USB3 external disk @ 5400 RPM.

Hi Rene,

I have an M.2 NVE SSD on order, I was curious to know what the issue was getting Linux to boot. Any insight is appreciated, I’m going to be installing later this week,

Debian 8.4 has problems installing Grub to the NVME SSD.

Ubuntu Server (16.04) installs fine, but at boot, the NUC gets stuck showing the NUC logo. UNLESS a non-bootable USB device is connected – go figure. (I only discovered this after accidentally leaving a non-bootable USB key connected when rebooting).

Since I have two USB3 disks connected, I’m fine for now and will investigate later when some spare time comes along. May be BIOS-related.

Is this specific to the NVMW install??..or did it also happen with the M.2 SATA??

Linux BIOS (not UEFI) boot to M.2 non-NVMe SSD on the NUC 5th or 6th gen is normal, no issues.

I’ve booted many of the above configuration NUCs with 4gb RAM and 64gb SSDs (dedicated Roon boxes!)

M.2. SATA booted fine, without any problem at all, on any distro I threw at it.

Ok, thanks for the info, I’m installing on existing system, and decided to just do a clean installation. I’m running openSUSE (Tumbleweed) and hope I don’t run into any problems, but if I do I’ll try connecting a USB drive to see what happens.

I ran into the same issue writing Grub to the NVME SSD with openSUSE Tumbleweed; however, with openSUSE Leap it was not an issue. To save time and frustration, I just installed Leap and then upgrade to Tumbleweed.

The joys of living on the edge… :wink:

Running fast and booting OK?

Yes, no issues booting and the overall system is running faster. I’m running various VM’s and that’s where I’ve noticed the most performance boost. One of the VM’s is RoonServer and things are running great.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s finally available in the UK now…