Internal HDD greater than 2Tb?

@James_Antognini @wizardofoz

This is probably more than 2yrs old build I used for Jplay setup using Asus mobo with LGA1150 socket. CPU is i7 4790s.

you will need to reformat it, but itll work now. build 1.0.76 is out. check Roonā€™s settings -> about to force checking for an update.

1 Like

The height is actually restricted in the HDD mounting bracket (which is separate from the base plate). I looked at modifying the bracket, but still think that itā€™s just too tight. Now, if you ditched the bracket and mounted the HDD to the base plate (screws through the plate and voided warranty) thereā€™s plenty of height for a 15mm drive.

This begs the question as to why the limitation exists in the first place as a slight change to the bracket design would create the needed clearance. This makes me think that thereā€™s a heat dissipation issue with the thicker drives.

Wasnā€™t going to modify a customerā€™s NUC, but may buy my own and give it a shot.

@danny, thanks. I will check it out as soon as I get home. Will update when I get a chance.

From what I recall, that part of the NUC isnā€™t ventilated much, maybe relying on the metal plate as a heatsink? The logical next step therefore it to replace the HDD socket/bracket with one for a 3.5" HDD and rehouse the NUC electronics into a bigger case. That way you get to fit any drive capacity you want. I still think a NAS is a better idea though. Not sure why some have to have everything internally stored?

@danny, fantastic. with 1.0.76, it now works. Thanks for the quick turn around. Really appreciate it.

At least for me, its less clutter in the music room. From my past experience, the SQ when played back from locally attached drive is slightly better than when played using the same drive from a NAS. With NAS, there are several parameters that comes to play - networking, isolation, integrity etc etcā€¦for audio bandwidth, none of these (apart from isolation) should matter but as with anything in audio, exceptions are not uncommon :smile:

or expectation bias are not uncommon :grin:

Guess you are have connected the Core directly to the DAC.

True. I cannot deny what someone doesnā€™t hear :wink: