Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Interesting point on Dot number two. Didn’t notice that RoonBridge did not come with a re-distribution agreement.

Good point on the number 2.

On my checklist was ‘check the license agreement’, but I did not came to that.

Right now the software is being pulled in upon image creation, but it is rather easy for me to change that to do that on first boot.

Hmmm… I’ve not been able to find anything about distribution on the Roon site. Could be me, it was late :wink:

@danny: can you help me with this? What (if any) are the limitations for me to distribute RoonBridge?

Thanks!

I guess as roon bridge is not much use without a working core it might not be a big issue especially as it’s updated with commands from the core as and when updates are available. One of the Roon bigs will clear that up in a heart beat I’m sure

please do not distribute it. instead, provide an installer that downloads the latest build and installs it.

1 Like

Thanks Danny. I can work with that.

BR,

The DietPI guys do this as well I believe.

Harry Im downloading this now but the download is indicating its a .raw file format - how does one burn this?

I might have figured this out by the time you read this but would be good to have a guide on how o get this done on your website.

The download is taking a loooooong time - perhaps zipping it might be some advantage? Granted its 1.4GB but I’m on a 1Gbps connection and its taking an age.

The Ropieee website kind of gives it away (see: Getting Started): the easiest way to flash a raw image is using Etcher – it is available for free for Linux, macOS and Windows. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll change the extension of the file from .raw to .img. This is causing trouble for some people on Windows :wink:

yes after a looooong dl etcher saw it no problems :grin:

@spockfish Harry so far so good with an OPPO Sonica DAC (over DoP) at DSD256 USB and LAN - guessing its basically the same driver set as the OPPO HA-1/2 which I also have if you are wanting to update your DAC list.

Will also try the R2R Vinshine but I’m guessing that might top out at DSD128 as it is Native at 256 only unlike the 512 of the Oppo

Update the Vinshine also works but at the DSD128 (over DoP) and is detected as the Combo 384 Amanero USB interface. Sounds great too!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciated. I’ll update the DAC list.

So if I understand it correctly: the Vinshine only does DoP?

@wizardofoz how comfortable do you feel with the command line?

I’m interested to have a look at the USB configuration, as the Combo 384 Amareno is patched in the kernel of the RoPieee.

So I could send you to just type in a few commands and post the results here.

Very comfortable…drop me the commands and happy to reply with the details - out getting some dinner now but will do in a couple of hours no problems

The vinshine will do native 256. I’ll also test the Oppo ha-1/2 as I have those as well as an Emotiva DC-1 that’s not dsd but will do 24/192 so you can add it to the list, and maybe the Emotiva XMC-1 also

1 Like

Still confused to what you mean: does the Vinshine do native 256 with RoPieee? or is it doing DoP with RoPieee?

Ok here we go.

1. login (using ssh) with username: root and password: root
  2. post me the results of ‘aplay -l’
  3. post me the results of ‘cat /proc/asound/card0/stream0’

I found no option for eith DAC to do native DSD only option was DoP within roon. But as far as I know both are native at the DSd rates I indicated

Now that I think about it I think the Vinshine using Combo384 Anamero USB was indicating to roon it supported 512 as I recall it was green when attached to the Core via USB with ASIO drivers…I’ll double check that when I get back

ok. then I’m reaalllly interested in those outputs that I posted you. :wink:

Just as a check this is from DietPi

only a valid response to the 2nd item for dietpi

root@DietPi:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: Amanero [Combo384 Amanero], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
root@DietPi:~# cat /proc/asound/card0/stream0
cat: /proc/asound/card0/stream0: No such file or directory
root@DietPi:~# 

and from the Ropieee

[root@MancaveRopieee ~]# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Amanero [Combo384 Amanero], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
[root@MancaveRopieee ~]# cat /proc/asound/card0/stream0
Amanero Technologies Combo384 Amanero at usb-3f980000.usb-1.2, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 2
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 5 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
[root@MancaveRopieee ~]# 

hope thats of some use…Other than changing the SD card the setup is identical

Ok thanks for your feedback.

To start with the ‘bad’ news: the reason your DAC is not supporting native DSD is because it does not provide a so-called altset. Which is rather strange, as indeed your DAC is equipped with the Amanero chipset that does actually do this.

The only thing I can imagine is that your DAC is not equipped with the latest firmware from Amanero; their earlier firmware was indeed not capable of doing native DSD on Linux. So it might be good to contact them.