Introducing RopieeeXL

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the RoPieeXL application part. For some reason the underlying Linux version doesn’t respect the country setting though.

Since the upgrade didn’t work and I did not understand why, I did a clean install of v352. The PI did not detect my WiFi and iwlist wlan0 channel only showed channels 1-11. iw reg set NL then added channels 12 and 13 (although the country setting was present already in wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf. After enabling rc.local in systemd, I added iw set reg NL as a work-around.

Since there is no error after applying the work-around, I am not entirely certain what I should send you.

I hope this isn’t a silly question but If I move to XL am I still able to use the original Ropieee output alongside Airplay etc?

Yes you can!

Thanks Harry.

So it will show two outputs?

Uhhh… what do you mean?

On the remote. XL and Ropieee?

XL just adds support for DLNA and Airport aside Roon.

They are independent of Roon, so I’m not entirely sure what you mean with ‘show 2 outputs on the remote’.

Thank you.
Sorry to confuse you. I mean here on the Zones.

But I still am :wink:

DLNA and Airplay are independent of Roon. So there is no zone involved.

The only exception is that Roon also supports Airplay as transport, but if you go that route you first need to configure it in Roon’s Audio section.

But it would be more helpful if you explain a little bit what you’re trying to do: DLNA or Airplay?

Ah …ok. I understand now. Thank you for your patience.
I’ll give it a try.

Hi, I am still not able to get RoPieeXL display/detect my wifi. Any workaround?

Hi @Sander_Jongeleen,

Sorry for not getting back to you…

So you’re still running with this work-around? I find it strange that it ignores the country setting in wpa supplicant…

Thanks

Hi @spockfish,

Yup, still running like that using a Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2. On a newer Pi 3 Model B plus Rev 1.3, the issue does not show.

I only found the work-around because other Pi users are reporting the same issue :grinning:

BTW: I use a Netgear Orbi WiFi mesh. Other devices present the mesh as a single SSID, but in Ropieee I get 6x the same SSID in the network list (3 nodes, both 5GHz and 2.4GHz): no idea how to select the one with the best signal.

I have noticed that the pi cannot seem to show a wireless config that uses multiple aps as one ssid it always shows the ssid multiple times rather than as one. It’s very annoying.

Hi @spockfish - just wondering if there is any chance of enabling Bluetooth receiver support in XL, to allow playing from devices over BT? This would be handy for playing from phone apps like Bandcamp, or possibly pairing with, say, an Amazon Echo Dot. Forgive me if this has come up before and I missed it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @spockfish,
I have two questions:

Q1:

• Just setUp RopieeXL on a actual RaspB 4.0 Rev. B 4GB and bootet sev. times.
    • During boot I saw the Device at least once in My W10 Device under Media
      Devices but nothing since then
    • I can’t see it under Roon despite the fact I can see other SqueezeBox Devices
      (At the moment I don’t have connected any HAT or DAC, because I want to
      test it with a potential DAC at my Hifi Dealer)
    • With Airplay enabled I can see it under Roon

Q2:

• Are there any plans to support a DLNA stream rerouting like in the Sonore UpnP Bridge, means I don’t need a direct connection via USB/Spdif/etc to the DAC/Streamer an can instead stream it to the device via Ethernet?
    (Sorry if I don’t used the correct terms)

Thnks a lot,
Tom

Q1: if you do not have an USB DAC or HAT connected it won’t show up in Roon as there’s no audio device.

Q2: i really don’t see the benefit of that. RoPieee(XL) is meant as an endpoint solution. Why do you want to stream to another device from a Pi while you can do that directly?

Hi all, brand new to Roon and ropieee … not sure if this belongs here

Couldn’t get wireless working on my 3B+ with the XL image - checked wireless box and rebooted numerous times As well as complete power off but it would never list any wifi networks to select / connect to

Re flashed with latest xl image again but same issue

reflashed with ropiee standard and worked first go then upgraded to XL once I was on wifi - no issues

Cheers

Warwick

Always send a feedback to @spockfish Harry when things go awry so he can track that issue down. Anyway I’m sure he will have a look at that with his current build download on a 3b+

Hello all,

I’m running ropieee XL on a raspberry Pi 3. the roon core run on a synology PC (xpenology).
Everything runs fine most of the time. The only problem bothering me is when I reboot the roon core (switch off the NAS every night) it won’t find the ropieee xl as an endpoint. I always have to reboot the Raspberry in order to get discovered. The Pi is always running (i never shut it down). On another hand the Spotify connect works fine all the time.

Behind the raspberry, the dac is integrated in my amp (Electrocompaniet ECI6 DS) and connected via USB. When the amp is shut down, of course, the dac is not seen by the ropieee and the endpoint is not showing up. But even when the dac and the raspberry are up and runing before the core is started, it won’t be discovered.

Am I the only one experiencing that kind of issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

If i’m posting in the wrong topic, please tell me where to post.