Is it worth upgrading the memory / RAM?

My 7i7BNH (3rd gen?) is 5 years old and has a 60W power supply, so can hardly be described as ‘thirsty’. It runs barely warm to the touch with 16GB RAM so I estimate power consumption is somewhere around 20-25W typical .

28 watts for the CPU,

That’s e.g. nearly twice of a 10th gen, can make a noticable difference nowadays

The TDP small print:

System and Maximum TDP is based on worst case scenarios. Actual TDP may be lower if not all I/Os for chipsets are used.

‘Thirsty’ still does not apply.

1 Like

Even in worst case, it’s like having a 30 watt bulb burning 24/7.

So, $2.50-$3.00 a month more than a lesser device?

2 Likes

If we go with 30 W, by 24 hours is 0,72 kWh. With a kWh price of 0.30 Euro (so far approx. the typical price in Germany), that’s 78 euros per year, certainly not breaking the bank. (It’s 6.5 per month though, more than twice your guesstimate at least over here).

Considering the rise in energy prices we are facing at least in Europe, that may easily turn into 3, 4, or more times that, and together with other energy costs may not qualify as “thirsty” but may become significant for many people.

Anyway, if a new NUC with the same or better performance uses half the power, with new energy prices it would pay for itself in 2 years or so.

That’s ignoring climate change and Ukrainian blood, YMMV

Yes, but you didn’t account for the energy an alternative device would be using.

True, I misread that part and your amount is correct after all. Sorry, long day :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, please stop with this specious analysis. Actually learn the definition of TDP.

Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements.

RoonOS idling on a ROCK NUC is not anything remotely close to an “all cores active” “high complexity workload.” For reference, Windows 10 idling on multiple NUC models has been measured to consume about 8 W.

AJ

I went with the 30 because that was the number already floating around. I’m sure you are able to divide the euros by 3 or whatever you prefer.

The CPU also isn’t the only user in the NUC, there’s probably a reason it has a 60 w PS.

Anyway, here in Europe we have people freaking out because of gas and electricity bills tripling or more, so.

Sorry you said it was a server up thread, I would imagine a dual core i7 in a nuc is not particularly thirsty.

Hi! Just to add some value… just installed a power meter and with some rough calculations, having the RoonServer runnning with BIOS at the lowest power settings,it’s consuming around 60W give or take.

With the prices right now, 24x7, at not to create a fuss around the total cost, just having the roon server on all day would be more than 150€ (add to that the NAS with the hard drivers).

I can’t see the buissness case just yet considering you would “only” be saving 70€ and a NUC >400€, but it is true that prices keep on rising.

The first thing I’m doing os turning the server off at night, and trying to find some way that it can maybe turn on/off auomatically from the mother board or similar.

Thanks for the insight! Hope this can help other rooners.

Next, you’ll switch to Apple Music for background entertainment, and just power up Roon for serious listening at the weekend  on Friday night… crazy European electricity prices!

What kind of machine is this?

this one:

That only mentions the CPU. It’s a difference if the CPU runs in a NUC or a full-size enclosure that also powers a fancy graphics card and 5 hard disks

60w usage in an idling NUC would be surprising

the computer is completly stripped down with ROCK. No grafic card, only 1 ssd and that’s it. Everything else is on a NAS

Right now, I’ve decided to pass the “roon server” to the computer I’m working from, that’s an i9. I understand that consumption will go up a little due to another process running; but not like the whole computer I had running and probably less than a dedicated NUC.

Thanks for the insight!

Thanks. I find 60 W surprisingly high given the push back I received above for suggesting 30 W usage, but I never measured my NUC

Just for an update and out of scientific curiosity I’ve done some tests with a power meter and a i5 11th gen NUC.

The setup has changed from a ROCK to Ubuntu Server+RoonServer (+Cockpit), and the consumption has gone down from 75W to aprox 10W and write now while writing and listening to Brian Eno with upsampling to DSD512 3,3W.

So yes, the asumption of the NUC using less power is wildy correct!

Now I’m deciding if to change the case, I configured the BIOS to low power settings and fanless and the truth be told, it runs incredibly hot sometimes (i.e. when scanning media after restoring backup). As you can tell by the numbers, power usage seems to have stabilized over night rather well.

Will keep you up to date with the findings, that they can be usefull for quite a lot of people.

Cheers & have a wonderful weekend!

1 Like

Same experience here. DSD is the only taxing workload. My 2014 Mac mini barely breaks a sweat with PCM as high as 24/384 even with convolution filters.

1 Like

Hi, I would just like to add to this thread, as it actually was my initial concern. Apparently, Roon 2.0 consumes rather less memory and I would even dare say, resources.

By what I’ve been reading, some of the load is beeing taken to “the cloud” and maybe this is the main reason.

As I heard on Darko youtube channel, this means that it won’t work well without an internet connection. Two days later, someone brok my fibre optic and was left without internet for a couple of days. I can say thay my main concerns wern’t with roon not working even though it worked for a few hours even after I was left offline.