Is Roon ARC a game changer?

Or simply tell the router to assign the same address by DHCP to the core every time. Achieves the same without messing around with a static address.

3 Likes

This currently stops working basically every day now. Sometimes it’ll work for hours and other times i’ll get 1/2 tracks before having to restart the server. This isn’t much use when the time i use it is outside the house…

1 Like

For me, ARC has been a positive game changer. I use it everyday in my vehicle and do not have any of the issues others are reporting here. I use a Verizon 5G mobile hotspot and a Fiio M11 plus.

For me, ARC works quite well right now.
One issue I have: “My library / albums” is up to date in ARC on my phone but not in CarPlay in my car. There it does not show the albums I added in the last 12 weeks or so.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will have to sit down and really look into this. I am definitely not an IT person, I really muddle through it, but I was able to get port forwarding working and because I have to fix port forwarding so often after power outages, port forwarding is now a breeze. I know my limitations and having to dig deeper into the advanced settings of the router, or the NAS does not excite me, haha.

1 Like

The router will usually list the connected devices by their network names, and somewhere (in the router’s general DHCP settings or maybe in its device-specific settings) there is probably some checkbox or similar for “always assign same IP address” or some such wording. The router manual certainly explains it

1 Like

Hi Stephen. Maybe this can help:

DHCP Reservations - 5 Reasons You Need to Assign a Permanent Address to Devices on Your Network

Torben

3 Likes

Today Roon Arc was a life saver. It’s work perfectly for my 8 hours of driving. No niggles to report :+1:

Game changer (think I’ve wrote about this before)

Ah yes, and 6 other times

Thank you @Torben_Rick and @Suedkiez, I will give this try this weekend.

1 Like

I use it without any problems in the car. That is nice, but not important for me.

The sad thing is, that ARC currently doesn’t support inbuilt DACs in DAPs, only external DACs via USB.

So currently ARC has no value for me.

Torben

1 Like

My trusty iPod Classic 160Gb is still providing in car entertainment flawlessly , It must be at least 15 yrs old :smiling_imp:

My problem will be when I change cars will the new one support iPod ?

2 Likes

I know that problem: I got a new car last year and my iPod Classic 160GB from 2007 (!) will not work with it anymore. :cry: So I now use Qobuz and / or ARC, but ARC with CarPlay has its limitations concerning search and selection of the music I want to listen to. It works for me, but it is still missing a lot of features.

Been using PlexAmp exclusively the last week or so as ARC just not reliable it’s made me realise more that ARC doesn’t come close to being a game changer. PlexAmp however is. It’s just far superior in 99.9% of my use case. I’ll give a nod to ARC having Qobuz and its sq with Muse being a tad better than PlexAmps eq but it does have AutoEQ presets built in. The rest of it walks all over ARC for everything. It’s not had a single issue in this time wherever I have been. It’s also better to navigate, search is better, it loads quicker and to quote Cupertino it just works. Battery usage is way less than ARC, my phone doesn’t get as hot as when using ARC. Playback is better always got dropouts on any bandwidth with ARC on my works Wi-Fi not an issue for PlexAmp smooth as silk. If I need downloads they are quick and simple to use and I can download albums easily. I am not going back to ARC any time soon until they make it a lot more usable on all fronts.

12 Likes

Strikes me that a lot of the available dev time has gone into ARC at the expense of other features and the end result is not too good , so far

11 Likes

I would agree although they did say it was a separate team so should not have taken resources from the main app. But who really knows. Its definitely taken its toll on support.

3 Likes

ARC is currently the record holder for apps I have deleted and reinstalled.

7 Likes

The software of equivalent of turning a device off and on to cure it.

I’m going to wait a few months this time. I can’t remember the last time I had to do it with any other app.

3 Likes

Hello, it is undeniable that it has a lot to improve, it often indicates “weak connection” even if it has a good connection, where any other application does not have any problem, almost never all the album illustrations appear, the list of albums shows them to me alphabetically Even though it indicates that it shows them in order of addition…

I have stopped trying to get ARC to work. It worked for me in the past, then it didn’t, then it did and now it cannot find my core anymore even though nothing changed in my network settings and my Roon indicates ARC is up and running. I am done with it. Will revert to TIDAL for remote listening. It’s a waste of money for Roon having developed this piece of software.

So, NO, ARC is no game changer.

Kind regards,
Richard

2 Likes