Is Roon supporting MQA? What are the pros and cons of MQA?

Guys, can we just not accept someone has a preference?

What’s so funny ‘bout peace love and understanding?

.sjb

4 Likes

I’ve Moderated this thread to delete part of a post and all of some others that fall outside the guidelines. Please keep the discussion about ideas and not each other.

How is " you have been duped " outside the guidelines exactly?

how about “you are an error”? Is that acceptable?

Yes and no. If a person has a “a flow experience” from 8-bit audio, that’s fine who is anyone to judge the subjective experience?

On the other hand, if a person makes claims of a technical nature based on that subjectivized experience then that’s another thing entirely would you not think?

Is not MQA making sound quality claims based upon a technical description centered around signal processing??

Thanks Anrew,
How cunningly you unfold and reveal the arrogance of a group of individuals who patronise and dismiss the experiences of people who may know much more than you do. I am bored of this smugness and your clinging to empty paradigms of, well, who knows what.
Every response keeps MQA in the headlights. If only you understood reputation management, you might then act diiferently. Instead you seem to thirst for the baying approval of those that differ from you as much as a mirror reflection would.
BTW If hedonism is now an insult, what do you listen to music for? The best I can speculate is that you listen to ascertain the mathematical underpinnings of Bach, or perhaps Alban Berg? There is much to explore if you cannot enjoy music.
In short, don’t patronise me.

No, just no.

By refusing to allow others to identify incompetence in posts and posters, you let mediocrity stand alongside or even above astute analysis – because you remove posts that thoughtfully and accurately point out not all posters and their viewpoints are created equal – all toward some banal dictate of collegiality that stymies the vetting of information.

Shame on you and the Roon team.

AJ

1 Like

Arrogance? smugness? To what do you refer?

Bach? The waveform which is sampled in digital software to create a digital encoding, most definitely has a mathematical basis (indeed that is all it is, math). Mqa is claming some very novel things. You keep talking about the music as if MQA (i.e. the software) is not involved but it is and this is what this debate is about. How are you linking your subjective “flow experience” to MQA exactly?

Last post of the day.

Are you telling me that you know nothing of the theories that Bach and Alban Berg used mathematical models to inform their compositional techniques? How can we discuss musical experience if you reduce such genius to models of digitisation.

Similarly, when I mention ‘flow’, are you making reference to the work of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi? It seems like you may have Googled something else?

My point is that I seek a deeper experience in musical replay and that has many levels. For me MQA helps.

1 Like

Richard, as long as you continue to fill posts with creative writing deflection on your preference for MQA, others may patronize you, rightly so.

The stated topic of this thread includes “cons of MQA.” MQA makes some controversial engineering choices. And some wish to delve into the nitty gritty signal processing aspects of MQA, pointing out why some purported benefits of MQA may be illusory or contradictory. If that does not interest you or you have nothing to add on those technical matters, then just leave that discussion to others.

Look, you appear to enjoy MQA. That is perfectly fine. And you probably do not want to see it criticized or fail. That is fine, too. But just because you really like something is not an adequate defense of it.

AJ

No I’m not talking about any of that. I’m asking you why you believe mqa is linked to your subjective experience? In other words what is it about the encoding of MQA that in in any way affects your subjective experience? Beyond that and most importantly I’m asking you how your subjective experience justifies MQA from a consumer or even “audiophile” perspective?

I’ve closed this thread as it has drifted well off the rails.
If you want to talk about MQA there are other threads to do it in. Please keep the discussion about MQA.
If you want to talk about moderation then read this, open a thread in the Community Section or contact Mike.
If you want to talk about each other’s failings, you’ll need to find somewhere else to do it.

11 Likes