Is Roon worth it just to play Tidal only?

of course Roon is worth it, because Roon has DSP and oversampling filters the SQ will improve

although… it all depends on the hardware you use, if the streamer and/ or dac is limited to 44 kHz / 16 bit then the sound quality improvement is zero.

In my opinion it’s worth it.

There’s DSP, gorgeous UI, options like Focus and Discovery, radio, organisation, support for multiple endpoints, etc.

3 Likes

Well this is a big selling point because the UI on MyVolumio blows. It feels like and acts like a UI from 10 years ago.

Do the trial and see how you like it. I was sold within hours. There is also the community here with lots of interesting reads and super helpful people.

Yes it is!

1 Like

The 14 day trial is an easy decision. My other question is why Tidal?

You should consider Qobuz either as an add-on or alternative. If you time it right, it should be possible to test all three together at no additional cost. The only risk is getting hooked on Roon and Qobuz/Tidal like all of us.

Enjoy yourself

4 Likes

I hear you, my question would be, why Qobuz?

There is a long chain with a poll in which there was an 80-20 split in favour of Qobuz.

The main attraction is higher sound quality. Take a free Qobuz trial at the same time as Roon and see which you prefer.

3 Likes

I have both Tidal and Qobuz, prefer Qobuz.

4 Likes

Just signed up for a free trial with Qobuz and will also do so with Roon, hopefully it’s integration of Tidal and Qobuz is not super buggy.

You have a fun fortnight ahead. Please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

I have both currently and they integrate just fine with no issues so far. Will be dropping Qobuz and keeping Tidal as it offers much more of what I need in terms of catalogue and features.

Follow up question as i’m in the midst of the free trial…Roon accessed my iTunes library somehow which i don’t use anymore, how do i disconnect / remove my own personal library from Roon? I only want to see my music from TIDAL and Qobuz.

You can probably click on disable your watched folder. Or move them out of there.

It’s disabled already

You could move them out or make an empty directory to be your watched folder. I’m not sure (don’t remember) how Roon finds them.

I sorted it out, the problem was that it accessed my profile from back in 2015! I started a new free trial under a different email.

2 Likes

In terms of SQ, Roon has state of the art DSP capabilities and it brings all that to your Tidal collection as well. Additionally album info, lyrics, search, suggestions are more sophisticated with Roon.

As i said earlier, I’ve been using TIDAL for ages, but recently signed up for Qobuz and now Roon to bring the two together in one place. However, that’s about the extent of the pro’s for now since Roon had a really hard time playing some high res tracks from Qobuz, stuttering or not playing at all. I have a sufficient network (100mbps+), my computer w/ the Roon core is a wired connection to my router as well as my streamer (PecanPi). Pretty interface, lyrics, album info etc means nothing to me if Roon can’t play the music. I will test it again this afternoon and report back.

For background info i’m using…iPad as remote > Roon on MacMini > Orchard Audio PecanPi using Roon Bridge plugin (using internal DAC’s on the PecanPi >RCA’s> Emotiva preamp

The only thing that comes to mind is the MacMini is several years old and it’s performance has lagged for some time, occasionally even simple tasks.

I think you have diagnosed the issue for yourself with that observation. All music Roon streams has to go through the core computer. If the core is old, under resourced and performing poorly, I would expect Roon performance to suffer accordingly.