Is SSD worth it? Network vs. USB? Audiophile cables?

I notice that my Audioquest Cinnamon ethernet cable has an arrow indicating the direction that the cable should be plugged in. Presumably the data rate going in the opposite direction is slower than in the direction of the arrow? Lol. Incredible that Audioquest get away with such nonsense.

AQ is not the only cable manufacturer that has arrows for direction of signal path. Why is this such a big deal? Have you looked inside a cable and seen how the manufacturer wound the cable in its sheathing? You do know that most manufacturers wind their cables in a unique way: how many turns per foot, how many cables make up the single cable, single strand/multi strand, sheathing material, etcā€¦
The closest comparison to this hobby is the car enthusiast hobby which Iā€™ve been involved in. Why do Porsche owners spend 10x more for a tire than a Toyota Corolla owner? Would it be foolish to put a $500 tire on a corolla? You bet. Would it be foolish to put a $50 tire on a Porsche? You could but you would bring the handling of the Porsche down to the corolla level and it would be unsafe. Putting a $500 on a corolla would not bring the handling up to Porsche specs either. Same for cables, if I spent $700k for the Wilson speakers, I would be looking for the best cable to get the most out of this speaker, I doubt it would be made by Home Depot

So would putting directional arrows on a cars steering wheel make the issue more obvious?

They do in fact have directional arrows on high performance tires indicating rotational direction, because the tires are asymmetrical and must be mounted on the correct side. With different tires at front and rear, each tire is unique.

I know nothing about why the cables have arrows, but I can imagine a few reasons, none of which have to do with transfer speed. For example, there has been a lot of discussion in these pages about noise propagation and isolation from RF interference. In that context, people often talk about connecting the shield at only one end, to eliminate ground loops. It perhaps makes sense to ground the shield at the source end, the computer, and leave it floating at the receiver, the DAC.

Steering wheels do have an emblem that usually means the wheel is pointed straight ahead when you can read it. Maybe some people do need an arrow. Why do outlets have 1 plug bigger than the other? Why is there a ground? You donā€™t need it but you usually follow the manufacturer.

The example of adding directional arrow on a steering wheel was to attempt to simply demonstrate the utter futilty, the attempts to rationalise the futility may be demonstrating something else.

You it turn one way - then the other - you canā€™t keep turning it the same way, you could say it ā€˜alternatesā€™

I know that, I responded to a stupid sounding thread. Instead of complaining or guessing why there are arrows on cables, as a few manufacturers their reasoning. You wonā€™t buy any of their responses but at least you wonā€™t be guessing

Sometimes cables can be earthed at one end and left floating at the other. The aim is to break earth loops and these would normally be earthed going in and floating going out. This would then require directional information on the sheath. But I did buy a length of cable for DIY purposes that had the directional signs but the way I wired the cable made that redundant.

Your analogy between audiophile cables and car tiresā€“something that obviously contributes materially to the handling and safety of the vehicleā€“is overworked and flawed. One might more appropriately ask whether replacing the alternator cable of the Porsche with one made of silver Litz wire whose strand sizes were chosen according to the golden mean ratio would make it perform better.

And would he happen to know which way that is?

4 Likes

Very nice Mark. This made me chuckle ā€¦:clap:

And with a motorcycle you countersteer. Lol. Itā€™s all about what makes you happy, isnā€™t it?

1 Like

Ah, anyone for another round of Cable Tennis?

1 Like

Might actually be more fun banging oneā€™s head against a brick wall Mark :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ll play -

https://www.thecableco.com/cables/speaker-cables/triple-crown-speaker-cable-pair.html
https://www.thecableco.com/cables/interconnects/the-grand-master-evolution-with-hfx-interconnect-pair.html

At least they come in pairs.

https://www.thecableco.com/cables/usb-cable/crystal-usb-absolute-dream.html

1 Like

Ok, you win.