Is there any sound quality improvement with the new Roon 1.8? What are the improvements, if any?

You can purify water and send it down a sterile pipe. The water you receive is purified and the pipe used to deliver said water has nothing to do with it. All it has to do is not contaminate the water.

1 Like

Nobody is saying that. Just because you are receiving what is being sent doesn’t mean it sounds good (to your ears, on your system, in your room)

Exactly. That’s why it’s important that we DISTINGUISH between an "improvement of bit perfect transmission (= logically impossible) and “improvements of sound quality” after bit perfect transmission (= possible).

1 Like

You’ve got the bit-perfect signal on one hand. You’ve got a powerful DSP toolset on the other hand, allowing you to shape your sound in any way you see fit to your personal needs.

What exactly do you expect from Roon? Unless you come up with an objectifiable definition of what you mean by ‘sound quality’ – discussion on how it could be improved is, while amusing, moot.

4 Likes

All I ask is a Bit Perfect signal path. Any alterations will be down to me or the equipment I choose to use.
RAAT delivers this already. No change required

1 Like

Add images

It’s a waste of time trying to argue with some one who obviously does not read and does not try to understand.

13 Likes

So we’re pretty much back where we were yesterday with this discussion. What improvements do you suggest Roon need to implement with respect to DSP?

Maybe - who am I to say that it can’t? But if I was in Roon’s development team I would want to know: what is the objective test case I can use to confirm that I have “improved the DSP”? In other words, as others (and I) have already suggested: you need to be specific about what exactly your proposed improvement consists of. Otherwise it seems you are just asking for things to be “better” in some completely undefined way, which is – frankly – pointless.

3 Likes

Of course people can use DSP if they wish, that’s the point
 They chooses to use DSP and the result is delivered Bit Perfect by RAAT.

You fail to understand that Roon sound quality and Bit Perfect delivery are completely un related.
I expect mastering engineers to deliver sound quality in their release of the music and Roon to deliver this to me in a Bit Perfect way via RAAT, which they do.
If you want to tweak the sound to suit your preference, then you can, in Roon or HQ Player as you like. What more can Roon do?
What if, they alter the sound and you don’t like it?

2 Likes

No! Nobody has to PROVE this absolutely nonsensical claim, because nobody here MADE it. Please reply to what people are actually saying!

2 Likes

OK, two things.

First, your initial point is a logical impossibility, but again, what improvements would you suggest?

Second, why do you keep insisting on conflating sound quality and bit perfect transmission? Bit perfect transport is one thing, sound quality is something else, but the latter requires the former - there’s no point in changing the sound (or ‘improving’ it, if you insist) if it can’t be delivered to your DAC in a bit perfect way.

2 Likes

(Withdrew by author)

There is no bit perfect clan. You still don’t undestand a single thing of what bit perfect means and where it is of value. You keep confusing manipulation and transportation. Bit perfect is ONLY about the transport. Even after you have manipulated your audio with upsampling, stereo-widening, detail enhancement or whatever it is you wish to “improve” your audio quality you’ll still want it to be TRANSPORTED bit perfect don’t you. You want your manipulated audio to be received in the same way you have manipulated it without something underway that manipulates it again and “degrades” it. Stop mixing things up. Stop talking about bit perfect as if it is a holy grail, a marketing trick or whatever you obviously still think it is. It is none of all that, that only exeists in your head. Nobody is arguing against the usage of dsp here, nobody.

6 Likes

You provided two quotations, but the thing is the people you quoted did NOT confuse digital transmission with SQ manipulation. They did NOT claim the latter was impossible. In fact, NOBODY is claiming that here. There’s no “bit perfect camp” in the sense you’re suggesting. Please reply to what people are actually saying.

2 Likes

Well, network engineers did, and probably continue to do so, but you’re right, bit perfect transport isn’t new and is very well understood and well-managed in pretty much every network you’ll ever come across. So let’s forget about the bit perfect side of things.

To wrap up then, do you have any actual suggestions regarding sound quality improvements? Something you think Roon could do better? Something they could implement that they currently don’t provide? Some deficit in your current system that you think Roon could rectify?

2 Likes

Than why are you so stubbornly keep mixing things up and bringing it back into the discussion with arguments that have nothing to do with it?

2 Likes

This thread is so surreal, it can only be a Social Experiment

14 Likes

As has been mentioned - quite a few times now - nobody said this. You may have ‘heard’ it, but nobody said it.

4 Likes

(Content withdrawed by author)

2 Likes

Some thoughts out of my experience regarding squeezelit - squeezebox server - roon.

I own SOtM sms-200 (officially Roon endpoint) and also LMS + squeezelite exists onboard. As of sms-200’s actual firmware rev. 5.1 configuration, running squeezelite w/o LMS now is supported —> absolutely increased SQ. Comparing this setup to sms-200’s Roon Endpoint mode I also have to say better SQ for squeezelite only mode.
My setup:
Enabled Roon‘s Squeezebox Streaming via LMS Service switched to On, now Squeezebox Touch display and remote Controls the sms-200 as remote player, while the Squeezebox Touch’s sound output stays disconnected).

So for m a great solution:

• improved SQ
  • Squeezebox Touch offering nice display and remote
  • Roon’s playback software feature available (maybe DSD is limited)
2 Likes