Is there any sound quality improvement with the new Roon 1.8? What are the improvements, if any?

Now this is science,

Dark mode == viewer pixels being driven == less power drain == less noise.

Though, something is missing, perhaps dark mode should cost more to truly justify the improved SQ?

4 Likes

Maybe the queue needs to have ā€œperfect numberā€ of songsā€¦6, 28, 496, 8128, etcā€¦

3 Likes

Flat-earthers are A-OKā€¦ :smiley:

2 Likes

Remember the Roon Catalina catastrophe? You would have thought the earth stopped spinningā€¦

1 Like

For sound improvement, separate endpoint from the core. The endpoint, if have option to power by linear owner supply, do so. Makes noticeable improvement on Stack Audio Link II. If endpoint has RopieeXL, you can enable Sqeezelite and enable squeezebox in roon and connect to is as a squeezebox endpoint. I hear a difference but I prefer roon endpoint over it. More focused and better sound imaging.

1 Like

Itā€™s bit perfect just tested it both come out bit perfect .

Adding to @ipeverywhere I also have a Xeon-based server that also hosts Roon among other things. Recently for convenience I moved Roon to an i3 NUC (ROCK) and guess what? No difference in ā€œsound qualityā€.

Xeon is not really the optimal processor for Roon ā€¦ from the horses mouth.

You may have started something:

Thank you Simon!

Now we are as clever as before.

2 Likes

Hi Andy,

My apologies. I suspect you are the only reply that I will respond to but Iā€™ve crossed paths with you before and youā€™re always decent. Iā€™m guilty of shooting the messenger here and with hindsight I was too harsh.

My points stand re Roon Labs and the apparent indifference to sound quality. And Iā€™ve discussed it with Danny himself and been fobbed off with ā€œRoon is heavyā€ as explanation as to why it didnā€™t match the sound quality of other softwareā€¦

Roon does many things very well. The UI and User Experience is second to none. But it is well documented that the sound quality falls short of other software such as LMS.

My point was simply that Roon Labs ignores these concerns at itā€™s peril as some users will defect for better sound quality regardless of the strengths of Valence.

Anyway, my apologies for shooting the messenger.

Regards,
Alan

1 Like

I believe all these setups are bit perfect but there must be something else that effects what we end up hearing. Not sure if itā€™s electrical noise or what. I current have the Focal Arche but used to have Chord Dave/mscaler and heard differences between directly from nuc vs separate endpoint. And now hear improvement switching to linear power supply. I donā€™t have the knowledge to know why it sounds different, just that it does.

Your swapped the Mscaler and Dave for the Arche?

1 Like

It can make a difference ā€¦ if you want to play more than thousand music files at the same time :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, crazy right. And I donā€™t miss the Dave. I think Arche has better synergy with the Utopia as far as weight and punch . Think if I would have used an external amp with the Dave, might of had different outcome. I was extremely happy with the Dave/mscaler but really was beyond my budget, so got what I could actually afford.

2 Likes

Where would I find this documentation?

4 Likes

I have found significant SQ improvement if I use a 2ā€ plank of spalted maple as a shelf/surface for my Rpi to sit on. Not that curly or black maple junk, but solid spalted. Of course, only Norway maple for a turntable surface, maybe you can get away with birdseye but I wouldnā€™t risk it.

1 Like

Hah, I didnt even know they was a darks mode. But I just switched to it. :laughing:

1 Like

Thank you David.

Unfortunately, I can relate.

I donā€™t see any evidence Roon Labs is ā€œindifferent to sound qualityā€ as you say, and honestly all this discussion about perceived sound quality between Roon or other solutions is pointless unless someone can back up their claims with evidence, ie measurements.

3 Likes