Is Tidal ditching CD format for MQA?

Tim - if you aren’t familiar with his Wilco music I’d recommend listening. One of my fave bands.

1 Like

If I encounter an album that is MQA exclusively, I do a search of the same album and it will show up two versions and one is CD 16/44.1. It happens all the times.

Don’t worry, Tidal is not ditching CD 16/44.1, it just prefers to show MQA and hide the CD 16/44.1 until you do a search.

1 Like

I’ve always had a fear about what could be the long game as far as MQA goes.

Roon should fear this too. Roon, apart from streaming, is irrelevant if one can’t rip to disk.

On the other hand, the argument is that streaming is the future and only dinosaurs have their own libraries.

Dunno.

MusicFidelity,

Good point, however I have found certain albums that do not have a second 16/44 hiding behind a search. At first I would even try to find them in the Tidal app because I have at times found albums in that app that are hidden to Roon.

@Jeremy_Greenwood

Just got home from a live performance by John Kilzer at a coffee house. Will play some Wilco tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion … Tim

Mainly from 2L label at the moment, probably they gave the wrong copies to Qobuz. I guessed Qobuz will be furious as their stands are lossless streaming. Besides to stream MQA, the streaming provider must get a license from MQA Ltd.

2 Likes

All good points. Does the Qobuz team know they are streaming MQA most likely without a license?

I haven’t noticed any lack of CD alternatives on Tidal.

Look harder :grinning:

Seriously, when I get back to the keyboard I can point out a few for you…

1 Like

Yankee Foxtrot is one of all time favourites!

1 Like

But they should be checking the provenance of what they receive. Makes a mockery of their QC doesn’t it

1 Like

On the other hand perhaps it’s MQA and Bob S. who have made a mockery of the trust relationships inside the industry.

I still say, I haven’t noticed. I have gone out of my way to check but I am seeing Versions 0n allI played today. A few peeks revealed CD versions.

I want to see a lot more MQA versions before I start celebrating…

What’s that got to do with Qobuz ineptitude which is what my post was about.

I dislike the idea of MQA so I go out of my way to get the CD version from TIdal.

There are a number of Tidal selections that are MQA only. Seems to be increasing monthly. Sometimes it seems like a CD version is offered, but should one look it turns out that the CD offerings are only individual tracks.

Take my and others word for it.

No matter, there’s always Qubuz or Amazon for purchasing. After comparing Qobuz vs. Amazon, even with a Qobuz discount, Amazon is usually cheaper.

1 Like

No offense intended. I was just merely pointing out that I doubt these streaming services can run an analysis on every track that is submitted to them. I suspect they rely on those providing the tracks to be honest about what they’re providing them…

If 2L decide to release only in MQA, then so be it… time will tell. Did I get 2L MQA stuff from another post? Maybe. Also people can make errors… it happens, it’s not all a conspiracy

Well Qobuz needs to be up front if they’re releasing anything in a lossy format. Such a thing is against both the letter and the spirit of their communication to their consumers…

I agree they should let consumers know if they are supporting a MQA High Res files. That is only fair. I personally hope they do in time…

Yes they should. Your use of the term “MQA Hi Res” is it is instructive as to why. Adding a bit of lossy data on top of a 1644 file makes a mockery of the term “Hi Res”. So far Qobuz has positioned themselves in the market in such a way against this. Like you say they could be streaming MQA in error. But at the end of the day the consumer should be getting what he is actually paying for…

1 Like