I've fallen a little out of love with the Roon forum šŸ’”

Sorry but there are plenty of threads with helpings of humour and good old ribbingā€¦if you know where to look.
Cable, network switch threads et al are definitely not the right placesšŸ˜‰

6 Likes

Well theyā€™ve gone from a handful of staff to 25+ as one metric.

Is this tongue in cheek?

No. It seems to me Roon is still kind of niche, but I myself donā€™t have any data to back that up.

1 Like

This is an important issue. I donā€™t recall hearing anything from Roon staff in the recent past about any of these. No sense that any of these issues are even on the map. These are important to me, but no response. I could care less about Roon ARC, but what is important to me has not been addressed.

1 Like

Nevermindā€¦

So far this discussion has been quite interesting with some good points and general well meaning posts.
Until now when some individuals just canā€™t help themselves it seems.
Please stay on topic, if you have gripes about cost of gear or similar save it for those threads if you really feel the need to mention it.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

1 Like

Iā€™m a new kid around here. My experience has been mixed. I try to be a good citizen and all that, contributing whenever I think that I have any thoughts of consequence. Iā€™ve had some technical stumbles, and the community (not the support staff) have solved most of them, and Iā€™m grateful for that. Moderation can be a bit heavy handed at times, but itā€™s understandable given the oft discussed ā€œatmosphereā€ of the forums.

I have the most difficulty talking about Roon itself, largely because it seems to be the most inflammatory and oddly off-base topical section. I find that odd. For example, I am really frustrated by ā€œfocusā€ and the lack of more sophisticated playlist capabilities. I am also put off, in the UI, by the lack of customization optionsā€” I can link my account to LastFm, for example, but I cannot display any of the stats from there on my Roon homepage. On the other hand, I am served a steady diet of playlists and commercial content from Qobuz. I pay for this software, and my only options for custom content are limited stats and commercial content. I can only hope improving these options is somewhere on the roadmap.

I could talk at length about what I think the ā€œfocusā€ champions miss in their claims that itā€™s completely functionally equivalent to playlists, but I know Iā€™ll be referred to past feature requests dying in the forums here, ineffectual votes and polls, and other stuff that hardly seems worth the time. So much for ā€œsoftware discussionā€ā€” itā€™s more like the complaint department that only a handful of long time users read and generally dismiss.

I persist, even though it seems much like tilting and windmills, on some topics that I find interestingā€” but actually talking about the software (outside of troubleshooting) just seems like more misery I donā€™t need.

1 Like

@Jim_F. I enjoy your input on this forum and respect your direct approach and opinions.
Iā€™m curious about the comment relating to ā€œothersā€. It would make it clearer if you could elaborate on the target audience that this comment refers to?
Thanks.

1 Like

I moan every year about the playlist capabilities, seven years or so of moans and suggestions but no luck so far!
Not long after roon started the staff asked for playlist capability suggestions, I donā€™t think any were implemented.

7 Likes

Iā€™m afraid youā€™ll find them on most audio fora. Except maybe Audioholics and ASRā€¦

I think thatā€™s something we can all decide for ourselves. Do I have anything of value to say on a given topic and does it really add any value to the discussion or am I ax grinding, for example. How many times do I need to say I like or donā€™t like MQA, for example. Actually, everyone doesnā€™t necessarily need to hear my opinion on every topic. Feel free to disagree, Iā€™m not a moderator here.

EDIT: Fact checking everyone else on every topic is not my job. Maybe I am mistaken about the ā€œfactsā€ on a given topic.

6 Likes

IMG_9236

1 Like

Healthy knees :grin:

4 Likes

Discussing opinions is one thing, fact-checking is another.

Actually, you are linking a profile to a LastFM account. You are not linking your Roon account to the LastFM account. There is an important difference.

1 Like

Yes, perhaps. But years ago in the days of blogging, LastFM provided an API where the content can be pulled and displayed on other sites (like blogs). I havenā€™t checked, but I suspect that hasnā€™t changed. I used to use it on my blog, and I am neither a developer nor an engineer. [Moderated]

Ultimately, it would be easy to allow for RSS (rich site syndication) content on the front pageā€” Last FM, Rolling Stone or other music feeds, or whatever.

I had a serious issue a short while ago. Posted and got zero help from the ā€˜expertenā€™. You canā€™t call the company or email them directly - they just tell you go go to the forum. I did so. And I got no useful help. I eventually corrected the bug myself; it involved way more fresh re-installs than one would think healthy.

Yeah I love the roon software but the ā€˜supportā€™ is non-existent. I compare it to Simaudio or Bryston. Have an issue ? They will take care of you. Bryston is especially awesome in this regard. Just sayinā€™ā€¦

6 Likes

But, the problem was on your end and you fixed it in three days. It takes longer than 3 days for your issue to reach the top of the @roonsupport work queue. Immediate support would be great, but thatā€™s not possible with the current Roon support organization.

3 Likes

Agreed, however, we should also consider that the roon ā€œsupport teamā€ are also operating in other communities than this one (e.g. reddit.com) so they are spread around, probably rather ā€œthin on the ground.ā€

ā€¦just thought it worth a mentionā€¦.

1 Like