Leaving Roon after price increase

To prevent people from being discouraged from paying more for a software that is full of bugs. It’s not like they’ll use that money to hire a few people to look for and fix them. They’ll pocket the money and keep status quo.

Not at all, roon should have managed that situation better rather than lumping it all now. It smacks of what a lot of companies are doing right now, playing off the back of rising costs to pump prices right up.

As I have stated I will suck up a 20% increase, in the grim hope that roon fix what is broken (rather than introducing features that have been in existence for decades, for free, elsewhere.

1 Like

How can be a price increase managed in a good way? It is always bad (for customers). If they would have introduced the increase at a time when no one else would increase prices, would you be more happy?

Very simple, introduce small price increases as you indicated each year. This would be easy to understand, paying staff a pay increase, larger servers required by roon etc could all easily be explained by a small increase each year.

Yes of course we would be at the same or more outcome today, but its very much like boiling a frog in that respect. I feel like I am explaining something very obvious here so not sure where you are trying to get at.

A 20% increase overnight, is eye watering, regardless of historical costs.

Put another way circa 100 quid UK a year, was a no brainer, £130 well as QVC would say that’s a ‘considered purchase’. It would be enough next year for me to now actually make an effort to see how other solutions have come along, rather than auto hit the renew button.

1 Like

I made a conscious decision 5 years ago against the lifetime license and go with the annual subscription. I knew I would end up paying more, but that was OK for me, and I thought Roon would get more out of it in the long run.
Roon not making a separate offer to long-time subscribers and instead saying I can switch to the Lifetime license for another $ 700 feels like a slap in the face to me.
It seems to me that Roon doesn’t value long-term customers.

3 Likes

Who does this?

That’s illegal for the type of asset that is Roon membership.

1 Like

It was not. It was just moved to Feedback because that’s what it is. In Feedback it’s all visible:

2 Likes

So, you would have preferred paying more over the past 5 years to have a smaller percentage increase now? How does that make a bit of sense?

You’ve had two years to switch to lifetime for $700. Prior to that, you could have switched for $500. Maybe you made a bad decision?

2 Likes

Plus there was a time when exchange rate to Euro was favorable, I paid less than 600 euros for lifetime in Dec 2020 (and close to half of this has already paid off during these first 2 years).

As already written, I was aware that I pay more in the long run. I decided to do this because I wanted to support Roon in the long term. But it seems that roon is not interested in customers who bring money into the cash register permanently. They will not get any more money from existing lifetime subscribers in the future.

Oh, Frank…… no offence, but you chose the expensive route because you wanted to support Roon, and now you’re complaining they’re not rewarding you for it? Stick it to the man, buy a lifetime and never think about it again.

3 Likes

No, I will leave as many others.

In the software company where I work, we have in summer also increased subscription prices (very comparable to Roon pricing, though there is no lifetime). A few customers complained, less left, and we have kept growing since then by far more than those who left. Raising the price allows us to continue delivering what customers want, although our costs (salaries, hosting, tools, rent, electricity, etc.) also rose just like they did for everyone else.

My guess is that it will be similar for Roon.

5 Likes

I think the more sensible question would be, in retrospect do Roon wish they had put a small charge on each year?

There are tools and experiences to help judge price elasticity and the churn you get for each rise. I don’t know, but well possible that they ran the numbers.

How can you opt out of lifetime? You either bought it or you didn’t. If you decided against it you bear the consequences of this decision now, no? You have the same choice still today. Not much Roon can do.

25 percent sounds like a lot. US$2.50 per month is less than 1/2 cup of coffee or 1/2 gallon of gasoline. Much ado about nothing.

2 Likes

Well the fact is I do love Roon for the most part so they will get my money, sigh!

1 Like

See, they got you on their leash :wink:

1 Like