Leedh Processing - Perfect Digital Volume Control?

Just curious how many people are using digital volume control. I have two setups, my office rig is sitting right next to me so I just reach over and turn the knob. My music room amp has a remote. So, with the exception of a couple of Sonos speakers, I never use digital volume control. Considering the sound quality of the Sonos, the volume control has no effect.

Assuming Roon DSP engine and volume leveling are turned off: with Lumin running RAAT, Roon Core tells the Lumin endpoint the volume value to use via RAAT. Lumin then applies its own digital volume. In this scenario Roon 64-bit volume is not applied.

Peter provided a link to some documents, I commented, but there are two threads going. Here is my note in the other thread:

I do not have a lumin and I use an RME ADI-2 DAC which has a volume management by remote control (DSP inboard) but not manageable by Roon.
On the other hand, I use the Roon autolevel to avoid differences in levels (> 18LUFS, especially with Roon radio)
I asked the question because if Leedh processing was superior in quality to Roon 64b float, it could replace it.
2 things: if the superiority is demonstrated and if Roon … agrees to pay the license. :wink:

What happens to Leedh processing, if I actually DO have the DSP engine on (for room correction)? I am tempted by Leedh, but would not want to give up DSP …

Roon Core will perform DSP first. After receiving music data via RAAT, Lumin will perform Leedh Processing Volume.

1 Like

Thanks, Peter! That helps.

Referring to the title “Perfect Digital Volume Control?” I would have to reply with a resounding “YES!”
As it is these days - I had quite some time available for tinkering with my system and so I activated Leedh on my Lumin D2 (with LPS) and took the pre-amp (Pass XP-10) out of the chain.
I did not really expect much from the change (especially after a few hickups in the beginning, which were entirely my own fault), but what can I say …?
I was totally blown away by the difference in sound!
What followed may be a bit exaggerated, but I actually bought an X1 and put aside the D2 and XP-10 for sale. My system now sounds better than I would have ever thought possible and I am absolutely stunned by the difference!
And no: I am in no way affiliated with Lumin.

3 Likes

Super! what is your amplifier?

Bel Canto Ref 1000 monoblocks feeding Magnepan 3.7s.

1 Like

There is a new way to control Leedh processing volume (and all of Roon) which I have tried and am super-impressed with.
Details can be found here:

It works like a charm with my X1!

I would love to try Leedh processing with Roon. Has anybody at Roon tested this to see if it is better than Roon’s own algo??

A review and measurements of Roons volume control. Why would you need more than transparent?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/whitepaper-roon-dsp-volume-measurements-pdf.131355/

1 Like

Nothing wrong with choice. But I’m pretty sure you can be transparent while choosing linear, logarithmic or some other response.

I am Using Leedh volume fantastic ! I set a Topping pre to 0 (unity gain) and bought the Lumin Remote. There is a difference in detail, soundstage and dynamics.
Room volume via this. Simple and easy giving great sound.

2 Likes

Buy the Lumin Remote. This is expensive but much less than many spend on cables. I have a Lumin remote and not only is it functional in many ways but looks and feel beautiful.

1 Like