Let's talk about what's Moving and Grooving you today! [2023-08]

It was nice to say that for a change :grinning:

2 Likes

PNG image

2 Likes

Sort of.

I know you guys are only poking fun at me for not having physical media and streaming all the time, but it does touch a raw nerve (my issue not cause by you guys) so I thought I’d explain below. :wink:

Before the wife generously donated my CDs to charity whilst I worked away a few years back, and minus the freebies from magazines and singles, I’d say I had 2500 to 3000 CD albums.

Something she really regrets doing now, but hey let’s move on dear.

In a world that’s evolving to be more internet based, music lovers need to make a choice as do the music makers.

Streaming services don’t pay artists enough in my eyes based on several videos on YT and the research I’ve done.

Buying CDs & Vinyl from new gives them a better initial ROI over just streaming, but that’s it. Buy secondhand, they get nothing.

Buy secondhand and then stream, they get something, but why stream something you have on vinyl or CD (ripped or not). You wouldn’t.

Not saying buying secondhand is bad, I intend to visit some charity shops later today to see what’s on offer. See if some of my old favourites can be purchased.

My efforts moving forward from my conscience and pleasure of the music I listen to is to stream as I do from Qobuz and then buy what I really enjoy (artist website, bandcamp or Qobuz). But only new releases as I have previously given my favourite artists their initial ROI when I purchased their albums years ago. I will stream their albums/songs so they still get a portion of my money.

People pay for my initial services, but then have to pay me again if they need me again. The initial call out charge is more than any subsequent visits that need to follow. I wouldn’t revisit for free (unless warranty due to a failure on my part).

Hope my viewpoint makes sense, and it’s open to comment (good or bad).

:innocent:

6 Likes

2 Likes

Not much to comment about this. Finally it is completely up to you, how you listen to music. That you think about the artists is great. Finally they need an income too. There are actually only a few which make endless money.

That your wife gave away your CDs and you forgive her, honors you. I would have sent mine to hell in that situation.

Before I become pathetic, I stop now.

2 Likes

Lewis OOH already :scream:

Yes we are just taking the p1$$ out of the youngster :rofl:

I can see that in a modern world owning physical media makes no sense.
Being old we are set in our ways… Don’t be like us :grinning: (but do support your artists)

2 Likes

PNG image

3 Likes

Why isn’t my mother’s heating coming on is the question of the morning. Why does my mother’s heating need to come on in blooming August :sweat_drops::wind_face::dash::snowflake:

6 Likes

Believe it or not I thinned out my vinyl collection when I moved. I kept mostly complete discographies of artists that I like and have. I only buy vinyl now if it’s a new addition to these.
I use tidal to listen to new music and download if I like.
If I were starting out I would just use a music service.
I would have found a quiet place under the patio for my wife (sort of joke).
If you have already bought the CDs then your revenue has gone to the artist, so I wouldn’t worry about replacing second hand.

3 Likes

I’ve bought second hand books my whole life, you’re then supporting the workers in the bookshop rather than the author :wink:
A tally Kindle books are the thing I feel guilty about but when I was travelling for work it was just too inconvenient to pack ten books for the week :grinning:

2 Likes

I have a patio yet to be laid. Wives are welcomed :rofl:

3 Likes

No we are not volunteering to come help may the patio.
Whatever spousal interment you are offering :smile:

1 Like

WMWL - wetting myself with laughter at that :rofl:

PNG image

There must be a newer one. I heard.

4 Likes

I’m a hardcore hoarder. But once in a while I throw almost all and start fresh. Usually when I change home. Happened with my old drawings 4 times, furniture and all the rest. So happened with music also. Give away my small collection of vinyl at 22 when moved out, away with all cassettes at 27 when moved again, gave away all my cds at 32 (moved again), gave away all my fathers vinyl and all my mds at 35 and parked my stereo and speakers to a friend. From 35 to 43 only podcasts on phone. From 43 streaming. I do not like the money to artists issue but I wouldn’t be able to buy all that I listen, but I buy something each month (downloads usually, if cds I give them away)

3 Likes

I buy mostly new off various sites, including the artists own web sites ,Bandcamp, Amazon etc and once in a blue moon buy 2nd hand when someone is selling off locally that I become aware of, such as from the collection of the guy who is selling off due to illness that I posted about a couple of weeks ago. I don’t stream as I just prefer to have music in my hands. I did do Qobuz trial for a month but that was all.
Losing 2.5k+ would be a wrench for me so I can see why it is a bit of a sensitive area.
It was definitely intended just as a p1ss take with no malice intended.

Ps you are still a knob :wink: :grinning:

3 Likes

Eleine is due by 10pm today.
Auto correct keeps changing it to Elaine which is a pain

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-638264884603976700

6 Likes

Wow, I didn’t expect that!

4 Likes

New thread and OOH. Somebody stole my bleeding hearts! I demand action! My outrage is real!!!111one

4 Likes