Let's talk (show) guitars and gear

Excellent!!! Love it.

No hanging bat on the headstock? I had you pegged for more. I’ve been seriously eyeing up PRS as of late. Already have myself convinced that S2 used over SE new around $1,200-1,800 is the sweet spot.

Congrats. How does it play/feel?

Apologies, these were taken with a cellphone so quality is suboptimal. It is a PRS Rosewood Ltd. The tuning keys are rosewood etc.

6 Likes

Stunning!:astonished:

1 Like

Very low and fast action with a very slim neck.
The sound is definitely metal orientation though, it growls.

2 Likes

There are interesting videos on Tom Murphy’s (Gibson) Lab where he recreates classic instruments with four variations in aging. The lab also reproduces well know players’ guitars (like Peter Green etc). It is an interesting thing that we (many of us) like antiques (furniture, etc) and that this is also represented in the guitar world where people want a brand new instrument that appears mildly to severely aged. Mr Murphy seems to have a great time creating tools and templates to make this possible.

2 Likes

I find the entire subject fascinating. First that someone thought to do it and also that is such a popular thing to do. The Fender Custom Shop has all different levels of “Relic” -ing a guitar. Some I think go a bit too far, other looks super cool.

I’ve been out of the guitar scene for a long time but was casually aware of the trend to make replicas of famous artists axes with appropriate bumps and bruises. I had no idea of just making a brand new guitar look road worn because you were too impatient to play the 10 of thousands of hours to get it there. Seems so par for the course for us humans these days. We want the look but don’t want to put in the time/effort. Instant gratification.

Flip side (for me at least) if I’m looking at a used guitar I don’t want it banged up. I rank and discount, in my mind, various guitars of the same model based on the condition. But I’d no doubt pay a premium for one that was aged at the factory…go figure :upside_down_face:

Several posts up I shared my Kay Value Leader from the early 60s. It had some missing screws in the pick guard. The whole aging/relic thing put me on a quest to not just find screws that fit but ones that were an exact match. I first spent way too much time finding slotted/standard screws (not Philips). Since I had to get 100, I figured I had lots of spares to play with. Some typing and mouse clicks later I discovered many sites on how to age hardware.

I’m quite pleased with my first attempt. The two on the left got my homemade aging treatment and the one on the right is untouched, right out of the plastic bag. I feel you can’t tell the 2022 replacements on my project from the early 60s originals.

I could easily see myself keeping tabs on Reverb for a solid, but beat up guitar in the 300-500 dollar range and trying my had at what Gibson, Fender and others are doing. I especially like the 60’s surf guitar colors (green, blue, coral) sprayed over a 50’s flame job and seeing both faded and worn.

2 Likes

I understand what you are sharing. The history of this all is interesting unto itself:

Fender made a Relic strat in the 90s. My wife bought me one and put it under my youngest daughter’s bed to surprise me one Christmas.

It is a 1957, Mary Kay, heavily worn, tarnished gold hardware etc. I believe I shared a photo of it above somewhere. The kids were quite young then and began putting stickers on the pick guard. I have not the heart to remove them, but…I took the guitar with me to one of their lessons. Their teacher was certain this was an original, and he was appalled that I was ruining a vintage instrument.

When Fender was acquired by CBS, early Strats became highly desirable. Fender then realized we could make a series of tribute guitars by “relic’ing” them. They made heavy Relics like my own, and they also made less worn guitars as “Closet Classics”. Also, as people like Hendrix, Stevie Ray, etc wore their guitars, wanting to look like theirs was just another fashion.

I think this is separate and apart from the 58-60 Les Paul, especially the “bursts”. No one wanted a Les Paul, and Gibson made the SG as the Les Paul declined in sales. Well, as something declines, it becomes less available (like Linn turntables or vintage McIntosh tube equipment) and demand begins to exceed supply.

Several actors as well as Slash and especially Joe Bonamassa began paying exorbitant prices for these old instruments. Slash has a burst (see him discuss this with a Gibson rep) that is essentially new and is priceless.

Peter Green’s burst had a pick up wired out of phase. That guitar is now owned by Kirk Hammett.

It was not difficult for Gibson to learn that people wanted deliberately aged Les Pauls for fans of the artists as well as tribute guitars to resemble the artist. Tom Murphy has benefitted by that decision.

But even if you bought new and played heavily, it would not have the checkering (etc) of a vintage nitrocellulose finish.

People collect autographs even though they could easily sign things themselves. As you note, we are a strange breed.

I hope you will create your own relic and show photos of the process. There are many videos on how people follow that journey. (I like the exact same colors that you do).

1 Like

3 Likes

Bought this Epiphone Masterbilt OM about 15 years ago for like $150, did a basic setup on it, and it’s a really great guitar. Cracks in the top and back that were repaired by Epiphone, I think, so it was a factory second.

My late wife’s father borrowed it ages ago. It’s been stuck it in a closet since, and I rescued it a few weeks ago.

Not quite the standard of my Martins, but holy crap I love to play it. It sits out in the living room all the time now.

10 Likes

1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard known as George Harrison’s “Ransom” Les Paul.
This is a 1958 sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard that was offered by the Quiet One in a rather twisted tale of theft.

It started with a cherry red 1957 Gibson Les Paul Standard originally nicknamed “Lucy.” It was gifted to Harrison by his friend Eric Clapton. Unfortunately, it was stolen in Beverly Hills and sold to the legendary Whalin’s Sound City music store on Sunset Blvd in 1973.

The cherry red guitar was sold to a musician from Mexico named Miguel Ochoa who was staying in town visiting a friend.

With a small paper trail via information written on the sale’s receipt, Harrison called the house of the friend Ochoa stayed with and was furious. When Ochoa heard about the call from Harrison, he thought this was some joke.
After some negotiating with Ochoa (including an initial plea of paying Ochoa the amount paid for it from the store), Ochoa considered his options, but ultimately decided to go back to Mexico with Lucy. Harrison then offered a trade. Ochoa demanded a 1958 Les Paul Standard, which was purchased from Norman Harris (Norman’s Rare Guitars), along with a Fender Precision bass, for Lucy.

Ochoa accepted the guitars in the trade, and he kept this “Ransom” Les Paul until 1983. Needing some money to pay for a house, he sold it to his boss, Nadine’s Music owner, Robert Truman. Hollywood-based Nadine’s was a store for musicians, run by musicians. All kinds of musicians walked through its doors.

Rare '58 ‘Burst’ with a history. The pickup covers appear to have been removed and reinstalled. The electronics are original but the pots are black beauty Sprague and original pots with 134808 pot codes (8th week of 1958) The tuners are non-original but are earlier no-line Kluson’s. Shaft holes have been sized for Grovers, so no extra holes are present.

1 Like

Neither mine yet…but thinking hard. Left is Mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard. right is Roasted Maple for both. I’m really thinking I want a roasted maple neck for reasons I really can’t explain. Also the right one has a Mahogany body which is not very common. Still the gold metallic to red burst on the left is pretty RnR :metal:

Anyone besides me spend waste hours on the Fender Mod Shop site designing guitars? I want them all.

1 Like

No, but I watch almost every PRS YouTube. I like the Tele on the right.

1 Like

That is more the direction I’m leaning. Bad pix from seller…I’ve seen that red transparent over Mahogany photographed better. Pretty sure I’d get a white pearl pick guard for it over the black.

Here it is in the online building rendering software (not a real picture). Funny that I’ve been contemplating almost the same build as the used on for sale.

1 Like

Go on…you know you want to!

1 Like

Of late in my phone feed there has usually been a PRS youtube video of some build or another

1 Like

This is no place for a minimalist. It’s a totally different mindset. But, that’s OK.

1 Like

Think it’s time to just give up on playing guitar :confused:

4 Likes

These are the first three PRS Dragon(s). One (2nd from right) is an unusual (Dragon III) in that they then made ~11 Dragon IIIs with McCarty pickups. I have had these since the early to mid-90s.

PRS guitars tend to fade in the sun, but these have always been in the home theater which has no natural light.

5 Likes

There are two YouTube videos about the two PRS factories. The SE factory in Indonesia is especially interesting. What he has done with an initial 20k loan.

1 Like

Okay gents, thoughts on this one? Totally different direction for me and where I thought I might land. Mexican Tele not made in USA. Price is more than right. A few things right off the bat to change that are on my “must have list” but I’ve been kicking around in the back of my mind buying some parts and building my own. I like having a winter “garage” project be it speakers, turntable/amp shelves, etc. The parts swapped out from this cheapie would give me a leg up on that. Like two guitars for the price of three! :grinning:

The blue/maple combo is growing on me.

5 Likes