Lifetime price increase, $499 -> $699

Whilst I understand the business model and the development time, I’d much sooner ‘own’ the software I use but I’m struggling to justify even a $500 outlay all at once (my wife would KILL me if I did). I’m also struggling with renting software (I do it as a professional photographer with Adobe). I own all my hardware, I own all the tracks I want to play, but need to rent the means to play them. However having tried all the alternatives I’ve not found anything as intuitive as Roon. So rock and hard place and my trial ends soon. Decisions…

6 Likes

The explanation provided by Roon makes perfect sense for Roon. And it makes sense for the prices to apply to new customers. To me, not giving existing annual customers a brief window of opportunity to complete the original annual agreement of $119 with the opportunity of a prorated Lifetime upgrade of $499 is simply not fair to loyal existing customers.

17 Likes

I agree $699 is certainly in the “ouch” arena, but you can fill the house with $30 raspberry pi’s, a NUC, and a Roon lifetime, and still have change compared to a decent cd transport or turntable.

6 Likes

I wonder what happens to lifetime subscribers in lets say 5 years from the moment Roon has stopped lifetime subscriptions? Are they still able to use the service for “free” or will there be a moment when they will be charged extra for additional service upgrades?

8 Likes

Badass move :wink:
So glad I went for lifetime back in 2015 :innocent:

1 Like

I purchased my year subsription only a month ago after a long break, and I’m fine paying 120$ for the next years, I only hope that the price don’t raise too fast after the lifetime price dissapears.

That really was an insightful and reasonable explanation, of something that would normally be experienced in a negative way :).
Well done !

However. I now really start to feel like a nasty bastard… What the h%ll was I thinking, and who the f$ck am I to keep Roon from their annual revenue ?
(Sorry for cursing). Calculating in the ‘good’ usd->eur exchange rates on my date of purchase : I would be paying >> 150% right now, than I did back then…

If ever you need a little extra, please provide us a way to donate. I would surely do, without ‘demanding’ anything in return. You, the team of Roon, have simply proven me to deserve it.

10 Likes

Read the las part: “ We will eventually eliminate the lifetime entirely .”

Not yet it hasn’t, but no guarantee that it won’t. Just like Microsoft offers both a subscription model for current and future releases of Office, and a one-time license fee for a given release of Office. However, both Microsoft and Roon Labs could easily follow the example of Adobe and switch entirely to the subscription model, for all the completely understandable reasons that Danny gave earlier

I am probably going to get into trouble for saying this but that’s crazy talk!

I am not being rude and I generally think this of a lot of comments on here.

I feel that the sense of entitlement or ownership of a service that we are ‘renting’ sometimes seems unrealistic to me.

I mean Roon Labs are a business and are trying to keep that business going both now and in the future. They are being loyal to their customers by being open and transparent. And by being open they have told everyone that lifetime hurts them in the long term so everyone needs to respect that.

I purposely went for annual over lifetime as working in software and services I never really understood lifetime and I want to make sure Roon stays around. And the only way that can happen is with recurring annual subscriptions.

10 Likes

Exactly, Roon don’t want lifers. It was just used as a quick way to generate cash in 2015. Subscription “services” is where it’s at now… Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, pretty much everyone offering something actually useful.

1 Like

Effectively it has, 7 years is too long to wait to “break even”. Roon is effectively subscription only now.

3 Likes

and we will. I have a feeling it wont be a long ways away. We just need to figure out some details for hardware partners.

2 Likes

I’m happy reading this as I’ve just logged in and was devastated to see the price increase. I’ve been saving for some time for a membership, got a 30 day trial and bought a NUC just for Roon ROCK, I’m in love with the product. Logged in to check my finish date and take the plunge and saw the increase so thank you so much for honouring it, I won’t lie I would have had to walk away :frowning:

Now I just need to read the full thread on how to purchase !

2 Likes

Can I get the answer please, thank you @danny

PS: Most people giving a “thumbs up” here are already Roon life time subscribers.

I am sure there are a lot of people in my boat:

I decided to give Roon a try for a year and then subscribe to a life time membership if it works for me. I would have appreciated if Roon recognized its existing customers and gave them atleast a courtesy email stating the price would increase. I undertand Danny’s explanation on his business model and I am not asking to give away Roon for free. Atleast as a courtesy to loyal members , they could have given us a heads up. It’s pissing me off, that they dont care about their existing customers, no matter how transparent they are, they are going to lose me as a customer. I am sure a lot of others are like me and would now not hesitate to try the other cheaper competitors.

12 Likes

The monthly subscription is a reasonable idea IMHO. I have running a club for a few years and I charge an annual subscription, while the majority of members have no difficulty paying some really struggle. Monthly subscriptions to Roon would, potentially, offer the product to customers who might look elsewhere when faced with an annual subscription. In principle, it shouldn’t be that costly to implement but a slight increase in the annual fee might work to reduce any addition financial costs due to the extra admin.

Doesn’t affect me as I’m already on lifetime, but I’m philosophically opposed to subscription software and have immediately dumped any that switched to a no-alternative subscription model. There would be many others who do not enjoy that sense of ongoing financial commitment. Adobe, Norton, Piriform are examples of companies that lost my custom this way.

11 Likes

Unfortunately, my subscription started back in August so I’m out of luck.
I guess I have a decision to make eh…

I understand your business model though and I respect your company’s direction of growth.

1 Like

I am with you Michael. I decided to give Roon a try for a year and then subscribe to a life time membership if it works for me. I would have appreciated if Roon recognized its existing customers and gave them atleast a courtesy email stating the price would increase. I undertand Danny’s explanation on his business model and I am not asking to give away Roon for free. Atleast as a courtesy to loyal members , they could have given a heads up. It’s pissing me off, that they dont care about their existing customers, no matter how transparent they are, they are going to lose me as a customer. I am sure a lot of others are like me and would now not hesitate to try the other cheaper competitors.

6 Likes