Lifetime price increase, $499 -> $699

Ever thought of selling concert tickets? You know what music we each listen to, you know where we live, you should be able to recommend us gigs nearby and make some money out of ticket sales and support live music and musicians.

in the US, there is no money here… the entire industry is locked up by Ticketmaster et al… even BandsInTown and SongKick don’t make any money off the actual tickets – the money is all in ads.

There is a new player, Eventbrite, which has gone for the smaller venues (bars, etc…) – but there is very little to share.

We’ve been in talks with some of the players noted above and heard the same thing from all.

3 Likes

That’s like 3’s of dollars.

Why not consider lifetimers as early investors (which they actually are). Everybody was free to join, but all I’ve seen here were threads along the line of “will roon be in the market long enough”.

2 Likes

You could develop a fee based room correction system like Dirac. Something that fits Roon.
I would pay extra for that.

2 Likes

In my industry (b2b a while back) the licensing scheme was based on a five year contract. Basically, the customer paid an initial license fee of about half the total value of the contract and then 20% of the remaining value each year for five years. After five years they have the option to renew for subsequent one year terms, adjusted for any price increases.

Roon could do something similar. In that case it would be $350 up front plus $70 per year for five years (including the first), with one year renewals at $70 or 20% of the then current five year plan. Or it could be based on a four year contract at 25%, etc. This might appeal to people who want a lower annual cost and to people who want a long-term license at a lower upfront cost. And it keeps a revenue stream going from happy customers who renew.

I guess one reason licensing was structured that way in my (past b2b) industry is that there was a lot more expense involved in sales, marketing and onboarding new customers. Roon doesn’t have all that expense to the same extent, so it might work even better for them. They could call it the ‘roon advantage plan’ or something.

$499 was a no brainer from the start, there was plenty of time to think about it.
Just checking the companies that keep on adding Roon tested and Roon ready devices gives you a good picture on how the industry sees Roon.
This became and endless moaning and whingeing, wipe the tears and move on.

1 Like

You might develop an up sampling package à la HQ Player. Something that has the possibility to rival HQ Player. Market that as fee based add-on package.

The thing is roon is pretty niche already. Room correction and up-sampling beyond what roon already has built in must me in the micro niche categories so I can’t see them being huge revenue generators.

1 Like

They already added free upsampler. They could fully integrate HQPlayer and share a fee with the owner.

I think the early lifetime adopters would be ready to spend on additional value added features.

Not funny.

Hilarious.

6 Likes

I think there would also exist interest in an add-on decoding package.
Formats like: APE, OGG, RAW, DTS, SACD ISO etc… could be added in such package and marketed as fee based add-on.

Hey, lets not get carried away thinking up ways for Roon to extort more money from us!

Extort? Is that what you feel we do?

ex·tor·tion /ikˈstôrSH(ə)n/ *noun*

1. the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

IMO, not a good value. This is exactly the type of thing we wouldn’t do. If we were to do those formats, we’d include them in the base product.

The HQ Player collaboration is interesting… just thinking about the basics of where our audio niche spends money:

• content sales
  • streaming
  • audio hardware (DACs, amps, streamers, bridges, speakers, cables, stands, cabinets, racks)
  • Roon and alternative software
  • DSP (Including room correction)
  • automation systems (crestron/c4/etc…)
  • controllers (iPad wall mounts, knobs for volume control, etc…)

What am I missing?

If we offered HQ Player or Dirac, or gave you a way to buy music or audio gear… would that be extortion @mikeb?

If I was able to easily buy music from Qobuz using the Roon interface, Roon might be able to snatch some percentage and have more income. I would welcome this option to click ‚Buy as Flac‘, and Roon would download and handle the files for me. I would pay 1€ extra, maybe.

But this should be as little intrusive as possible. And please don’t ever sell audio gear or put any ads in the program. That would be the end.

9 Likes

I think of my needs here and extend them a bit to the audiophile community.
Formats like APE, SACD ISO, OGG would help me. But I understand many people don’t need that.
That is why I thought of formats as a value-added add-on package.

btw, we support OGG already

1 Like

Just brought up examples. There are many (needed) formats…

I would probably not buy lifetime subscription if a monthly subscription was available. If I have to pay 119 dollars per year I can just pay 499 and forgot about it. To be honest, the only reason I was dragging so long in investing (sorry for using all these voucher codes found on the internet) was the hope that monthly subscription will be eventually available. For me, potential benefits outweigh risks over say 8-10 years time (I used happily Squeezebox server for around that time) in favor of annual subscription even at the current price of the annual. Things would be different if monthly subscription would be introduced. Financial risk would be so low that I would definitely have chosen such option. But, i guess, such monthly plans would require more effort from Roon to manage subscriptions. Also, monthly subscriptions would introduce more membership fluctuations.