Limit to number of Tags? Sort by folder in the pipeline?

This is definitely true in other software, and definitely not true in Roon.

In Roon, Composers function in specific ways, as do Performers or Artists, or release dates, albums versions, and so on. Roon is not a simple “spreadsheet” like how you might think of other media players, and so you may have unpredictable results if you assume that all fields are just interchangeable text.

This is a good place to start understanding Roon’s rich data model.

4 Likes

Okey Dokey @mike, thanks for explaining. I stand corrected and enlightened. Apologies to @rugby too.

In all honesty Im quite enjoying the tagging at a slow pace over a glass of wine as of an evening, as it’s bringing up memories as I go along and I’m dipping into albums as I go.

And when I get the time Ill re-experiment with the file tag timestamps.

@mike - that’s a useful article, but until you linked to it, I had absolutely no idea that it existed. Shouldn’t it be more accessible, e.g. linked into the User Guide directly? The “Your Library” section doesn’t seem to exist at the moment?

3 Likes

@Sallah_48
How far did you get with number of tags? Did you complete your 10,000? I am in the same predicament, though only with a tenth of your collection.
I’d appreciate an update, please.

Hi Scott,

rather with my tail between my legs, I just gave up with the whole idea. I got to around 500 i guess. Noticed no slowdowns or lag.

The main problem now is that I use roon on 3 pc’s, and unauthorise each time I want to use one or the other. This means that I would need to ultimately duplicate the procedure for the 3 which I just couldn’t be bothered to do.

What are you requirements? Same as mine, to get a consistent date added order or another? Depending on your criteria there may be a workaround.For example, for me, needing to display date added consistently, it consists of having all files in harddrives sequentially ordered within a master folder then using a mouse recorded to move them one by one into a roon-pointed folder.

Cheers!

1 Like

I think you’re going about this in a convoluted and ineffective manner.

Wading through this thread, unless I’ve misunderstood something I think your requirement is simple…“allow me to browse my albums in the order I acquired them…” ?

Roon natively caters for this through its options under Settings/ Library/ Import Settings —> Track Import Dates. I too like to view my library in the order acquired/ ingested (well, the first couple of hundred or so albums in any event) and I’ve made use of this feature from the time it was first implemented in Roon.

Assuming that your PC date and time were correctly set at the time of ripping all you need do is change the Import date defaults to setting to either File Creation Time or File Modification Time. If you’ve ever done tag editing after having added an album to your library then File Creation Time will give you the most accurate sequencing.

If I recall correctly though, Roon will only apply this setting prospectively, so after having changed the setting you need to select all albums in your library, select edit and then rescan them. It doesn’t redo analysis, so it won’t take long to do.

If your file date and time stamps are a mess you could write a batch script that uses the folder name sequencing which you already have in place to sequentially work through the files and increment the timestamp of each folder in the sequence and its contents by a second. You could then have Roon rescan and your albums will appear in the correct sequence - I guarantee it.

1 Like

yep the filedate and time stamps are all over the place, so my mouse macro option to move files into a roon-pointed folder works fine. But thanks for your input :slight_smile:

Running on Windows?

yes windows

Then a good option would be to use a batch file to sort the folder list using your folder names and increment the last modified date of each in the sequence by a second or two. You could then use last modified date in Roon.

Thanks, I understand what you are proposing, but I have found my solution. Am happy with it. I didn’t rekindle the thread, it was Scott who was wondering if I had had any issues with the number of tags.

My solution with the mouse recorder works for me :slight_smile: - however if you would like to send me the script you propose for the batch file, then I can dabble further. Im not au fait with batch file scripts myself, not being a programmer even on an amateur level :slight_smile: