Limitations of PS Audio Bridge 1 with pefectwave dsd DAC

This description is missing a WiFi router. Is your cable modem a router (that distributes IP addresses via DHCP) and also provides WiFi? The network cable should physically connect the WiFi router and the NT-505.

My cable modem has 4 ports and normally works as a router. Iā€™ve added the switch only to increase the number of ports. I was using the switch in my living room with the modem/router in my office. I.e 3 ports to computers and 1 port to a cable for the switch. But now I have switched so that the modem has a more direct connection to the streaming setup. Now the 3 modem ports go to roon Rock, my smart TV and to the NT-505. If I plug the cable I have been using with the 505 to my Marantz receiver it starts streaming via AirPlay with no problem at all. I donā€™t think my setup is the problem here.

I just spoke with TEAC support and they recommended I exchange the unit. Iā€™ve confirmed with the vendor (HiFi Heaven) so it will be going back for an exchange.
Regarding the stuff Iā€™ve listened to so far via USB, it sounds really good, but I think not quite the magic of the DirectStream DSD. however, the sound has been improving steadily with break-in so it might be closer than it seems right now. I will A/B them this afternoon before I send both units backā€“one for a refund and one for an exchange. One things that stands out on the TEAC is how clearly placed elements are in the sound field. What stands out for the DirectStream is the ā€œtextureā€ of the sounds. But I will try them back to back to see if I still feel this way, or what else stands out.

The Teac NT-505 in no way sounds nearly as good as the DirectStream DAC. Itā€™s not even close.

I might agree with you about thatā€“but Iā€™ll be more sure after some side by side comparison. But that shouldnā€™t be too surprising since a brand new TEAC with all networking built in costs ~1/2 of a used DirectStream DAC with a bridge II.

Experiment with using Roon DSP Engine to upsample music to DSD128 / 256 / 512 (use the highest rate available to your from ROCK), and turn on Parallelize Sigma Delta Modulator, when youā€™re trying the TEAC.

For the time being I will keep the NT-505. If money were no object I would choose the DirectWave DSD. I did some blind listening tests with my wifeā€“we each switched cords for each othersā€™ tests. On one tune I hadnā€™t listened to in a long time both my wife and I were fooled when we tried to pick out which DAC was playing even though we both felt we had heard differences when we listened to this song prior.
But on other songs which Iā€™ve been listening to a lot on the DirectStream I was able to pick out which DAC was playing every time. But for my system and for my ears the difference is not huge. I imagine for some listeners and for some systems the difference could be much larger.
In any case I finally understand what Iā€™ve read in reviews for the DirectStreamā€“it is ā€œsofterā€, ā€œfullerā€, ā€œwarmerā€, but not in a way which sacrifices any detail. Normally those adjectives would be at the expense of something, (detail, clarity, etc.), but with the DS this is not the case.
The TEAC is not as warm, or as full, but it is not in any way harsh or thin. And it has very good detail, extremely good imaging and I like its utilitarian designā€“itā€™s nice to have a volume knob on the front. Itā€™s a huge step up from the DAC in my integrated (Marantz) amplifier.
I only compared red book on the two units, so I cannot comment on their high-resolution capabilities. I am looking forward to checking out MQA on the TEAC once I get one with a working network port.
In the future, budget permitting, I would consider upgrading to the DS, or perhaps the DS Jr. (which would not cost much more than the TEAC). But Iā€™m not sure how much of the magic sauce in the DS Sr. sound is due the output transformers, which arenā€™t in the Jr.
By the way, for the comparison tests I followed Peterā€™s advise by using up sampling to 256. Rock offers as high as 512, but I used 256. Once I get a fully working TEAC back I will experiment more with up-sampling and filters.

Any update?

Yep, I sent back the NT-505 for a replacement and just received the new one today. It took about 20 minutes to get the updates complete and the unit configured for roon. Itā€™s working flawlessly so far. Itā€™s still breaking in but sounds great to my ears. I sent back the DirectStream a couple weeks ago, so Iā€™m accustomed to my Marantz integrated ampā€“as a result the TEAC sounds great right off the bat. With the last unit I was much more aware of an SQ change with break-in.
I listened to some MQA tracks, but havenā€™t done much comparison of MQA vs. non-MQA for the same source material. Since Iā€™m mostly listening to red book itā€™s not a high priority. But I will be comparing the various up-sampling and filtering options. Roon upsampling is limited to 128 over the network. 512 was available when I was using the USB connection between Rock and the TEAC, but I will most likely continue using the Network.
I believe you had recommended the upsamplingā€“is there any reason you would prefer to do that in roon as opposed to in the TEAC itself?
Thanks,
Ron

Because you were comparing it with another DAC which internally always converts PCM to DSD.

Yes, DSD128 and MQA are available from network. DSD512 (not MQA) is available from USB input.

@Ronald_Inman

If youā€™re not in a hurry to buy a DSD, keep your ear to the ground on the PS Audio forums site and Iā€™ll bet several DSDs will go up for sale once the TSS DAC is released.

I agree with @Speed_Racer on the Bridge ii. Itā€™s not that great of an endpoint.

Looks like PS Audio dropped prices a bit, maybe for Black Friday. But if you have something to trade in, you could get the price down of a DSD without bridge down to about $3400, which is a good price.

A little trick with the NT-505 is you can try upsampling on the DAC itself, so use Roon without upsampling or upsample to max pcm x2 then use the DAC to take it to 512.

Thanks, Iā€™ll try that.
So do you hear a difference when up-sampling?
Should there be a userā€™s thread for the NT-505?

I hear a difference but it is subtle. Just give it a shot, see what you think.