Line-in input as source

Yep, fours years on, still waiting and hoping!:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Another vote for ‘device input’ (line in and USB in). JRiver has an audio live option that allows external inputs. I’d rather see all my music controlled through Roon.
Any updates on a timeline?

I would like to add my voice to the list asking for line in support. I have said this on other threads but more than anything I want Roon to be my single pain of glass that controls my entire life with music. Roon is THE quality audio controller and Vinyl is THE quality audio format even if it is not always so convenient. Please, please, please take steps to support audio in!

I agree since long.
But it is tricky: in the general case, the source and its user interface, whether it is computer-based or vinyl, is far away from the Core where all audio processing is done. So a solution requires that data is fed back from the Roon remote device such as an iPad to the Core, where it is processed and sent out to the desired endpoint. And that doesn’t even handle vinyl, you need an ADC next to the turntable/phono amp, and then sending that digital stream back through a Roon endpoint to the Core.

It is certainly possible that all those components are the same device, that you are sitting by a computer and doing everything there, but that is not the norm, or recommended. And Roon doesn’t want to do a solution that works only in some cases.

So it’s desired but not trivial.

Hmm, that is a good question, how many people are running Roon core devices right next to their main equipment, given how hard Roon pushes dedicated core the number cannot be trivial. Today I am not running a dedicated core but it is clear I need a dedicated core so if I am going to put a dedicated core someplace in the house may as well be with the rest of my stereo equipment. In other use cases, non TT with shared PC as the core, using the 3.5 or digital in on the PC is fine because what you care about is the IN not the location so much. So perhaps you are trying too hard to narrow down how this could work and still be great. Audio IN hardwired to a Roon core that presents itself as a radio station or similar non-indexed audio stream would make most people on this thread ecstatic. Lets not let perfection be the enemy of innovation! People do not need audio IN to route through a Roon endpoint so please do not block this feature on that requirement. Sure it would be nice but not necessary.

+1 I have just been experimenting with a raspberry pi and hifiberry DAC+ ADC , icecast and liquidsoap to get a flac stream from my TT. It works, is it practical not really, massive delay, steep learning curve and prone to not work very easily. Could it sound better? Most likely but it’s pretty damned good for £40 ADC. I am sure there must be a demand for a decent hardware box that can do this but not break the bank, like the Transvinyl does. Nice case, decent ADC with gain controls, decent isolation and easy to run and setup.

I’m just another customer, can’t speak for Roon, I’m just pointing out a complicating issue that they will have to think about. Ignoring it is one option,

But if it were my company, I don’t think I would like to implement a feature that works well only on low-end configurations and can’t be scaled up to a multi-room system or a recommended configuration. Would annoy not only high-end customers but every customer who makes the first step toward expansion.

This concept has for me bern kinda nice but not really critical.
My important content is available elsewhere.
Yeah, I’m a coastal elitist…

Until Sia and Maddie.
Through YouTube.
@brian @danny We need this.

EDIT Of course I know sync with video is problematic. But…

Same here, would love if Roon accepts inputs! Hope this is pretty high on Roons list!

1 Like

plus one

it would be nice if Roon would accept a digital stream from another program instead of just streaming services and local storage so we could use the DSP functions.

+1 for this.

It is possible to tell if this is being looked at?
It’s been a request for 5 years…

I believe you’ve answered your own question. I surmise the complexities of creating a consistent and supportable solution have pushed this one way, way down the priority list.

it would seem one of the more simple feature requests I’ve seen.

Without having a visible list of what’s on the radar, how can know if it is even being consider vs. just lost in the feature request thread?

The problem is, what program?
How do you run it, how do choose what to do with it, how do you run the user interface?
Remember, for many (most?) of us, the Core that would accept this 8nput is running on a headless Linux box in a closet in the basement.

A viable solution has to run a program on the remote, maybe an iPad or Android device, send the signal back to the Core, do its thing (multi-zone sync, DSP…), and then send it to the chosen endpoint, most often not that same iPad.

That is the Roon architecture. We wouldn’t want a limited solution that worked only in some configurations.

Possible but not trivial.

See my rep,y to Bruce:

Hi Anders,
Thanks for tbe reply.

i suppose I was thinking of a very simple implemntation.

The key point is the leverage the distribution cabaility of RAAT not to provde a whole new streaming subsystem of user content.

So I envisioned:

• Line in on the core machine being exposed like a streaming service

That simple.
How a user want to get content into the core is up to them. There are plenty of audio distributions methods available.

As for UI. Its just like any other streaming service. Like Tidal etc. you get a “external source” entry in the menu on the left.
If you select it, a tile appear, which you can select and press “play now”
That would then route the line audio to that zone

I don’t see the need to complicate it any further than this.
This would allow for so many cool things:

• stream airplay from a ropieeexl to multiple zones
  • stream you existing hifi equipment to zones
  • stream bluetooth from a bluetooth to rca bridge
  • send your recievers ‘zone 2’ out to roon

The above would be totally amazing in my book! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Guy

I totally agree with you! An input on whatever machine the Roon core is running on would seem the best choice. Then let users decide if they want to configure their system in a way to use the feature or not.

I have a mix of vinyl, ripped CD’s and streamed inputs. I have to use the ‘line in’ connection on one of my Sonos Zone players to connect my turntable (via phono stage outputs) and then control which zones it streams to via the Sonos app. It’s the only thing I have to use the Sonos app for and is a PITA when all else is being managed and controlled via Roon.

The only thing I can think, is that when the Roon development team have looked into this feature, they have got tangled up in the myriad of all the possible use cases out there, and it then dies under its own weight.

I’m with you. A simple ‘line in’ capability on wherever the Roon core is located and let users decide how/if they want to use it.

1 Like

Support this. As long as the Core input device is selectable (USB or other inputs, analog/digital) this should be fine. My Roon server is silent so it can easily be placed with the rest of the hifi. Option for a RAAT input stream can be added later if possible.

1 Like

HI Ogs,
For input device selection, I assume it could be like the Audio Output device selection where it lists all the audio inputs on the machine and you could select one but limited to the Core machine.
For the Verson 2, the RAAT input stream idea you suggestion, it could be the same again, but this time it lists all the inputs of all the devices on your network.

I’ve waited for this many years. I’m still hoping it will come. It is a very important feature, but it keeps drowning among all the ‘new’ things that come with the current way of using music I guess. I still want to play my vinyl, not rip it to files.