Linear Power Supply for Mini-PC (MOCK)

From what you’ve told me, I need a little more power than that. But looking in the links, this one it seems to meet the specifications, what do you think?

That’s plenty.

This one also looks ok (and is a lot less expensive).

But please do some more reading before you do this - it’s very much debated whether having a linear power supply on your computer helps.

1 Like

I thought I needed 6’32A. Is it safe to use that one?

Moderate note …

We do not want another polarised discussion topic … please limit responses to the OP’s question on which LPSU is suitable.

The OP has been advised to read the linked topics let’s leave it at that.

General comments pertaining to merits (or not) of using LPSUs with computers will be removed from this topic.

2 Likes

The requirements on the PC’s web page said 3-5A.

But your current SMPS is 6A

I’d guess either is fine - but you know the SMPS works - so that is 100% safe.

Will do as @Carl requests and not answer the second question!!

2 Likes

Thank you very much. The specifications of the general Chinese minipc on the aliexpress website may not be complete. I remember when I bought it that there were models with different processors i3, i5, i7 and i9. Maybe it is safer to just go by the original power supply data I photographed. Just so I understand, is 5A and 100W (← EDIT) enough and won’t there be a performance drop of the device? (run HQPlayer as well)

100 VA … not volt.

Yes, correct. Thank you.

1 Like

Hdplex.com make one - I have several of their 200w unit’s powering a number of devices including Nuc/nucleus/pc i7-10700 with 2 x 3.5” hdd’s and several dacs. Very reliable and solid build. Often not in stock tho. Now it’s a 300w model they sell. 10A 19V is no issue, plus other outputs to use for other things if you need too.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. It’s not cheap, but it’s a good idea. I could also connect the RME ADI-2 DAC there. Unfortunately they don’t have stock in their sales centre in Germany. I’m going to write to them to see if they can let me know when they have availability in the EU.

2 Likes

Audiophonics.fr has replied a email to me and has told verbatim (model LPSU100):

«It may overheat and break if you’re usin all the power it can draw».

It is a linear designed for i7. I think I should either spend more money as proposed by @wizardofoz or wait until support for processors like the i9 becomes popular in the linear market.

2 Likes

Up to you - but this is an extract from the RME manual

1. Power Supply
    In order to make operating the ADI-2 DAC as flexible as possible, the unit has a universal DC input socket, accepting voltages from 9.5 Volts up to 15 Volts. An internal switching regulator of the latest technology with high efficiency (> 90%) prevents internal hum noise by operating above audible frequencies. Internally the switching regulator is followed by standard linear regu- lators, followed by super low-noise linear regulators. Therefore the ADI-2 DAC achieves its tech- nical specs even with less optimal power supplies. Or in other words: the choice of power supply is not critical.

So it basically has a SMPS inside anyway.

Dc-dc switching at lower voltages is rather different to the normal mains supplied smps’ used in most power bricks/internal SMPS units

Yeah, but the hdplex recommended to me supports two devices and I thought I could use the free output. Although second input it isn’t necessary. I’m also taking that into account when looking for something cheaper.