Linux partition for HQP/Roon server

Alright, I managed that substituting for the latest version filenames (5.4.50) in Jussi’s src directory.

As a tip for young players trying to distinguish their l’s from their 1s in the filenames: they are all the lowercase letter l except for 1_amd64.deb which is a numeral 1.

I find it helps to have a voodoo doll of Linus Torvalds to stick with pins when things like that happen.

Now for HQP Desktop !

1 Like

Something of a delay I’m afraid as over the last week my Desktop which I use only for work and definitely not for gaming no siree bob, has been randomly crashing. It wasn’t thermal or power supply related and at this stage I’m suspicious of the GTX 970 GPU, which I see online is a bit notorious in this regard. At seven years old it’s getting a bit long in the tooth, certainly for the latest games er, spreadsheets.

So, the good news @Rugby, is that I’m getting a whole new computer. I’ll link some parts later but just to give you some flavour of this build and my RGB plans, this is the case I’m using:

This will only run Roon as a remote for the server Core, even though the Ryzen R7 3700X will knock the i7 server off its perch.

You know you’ve reached a certain stage in life when you are happy to pay someone else to put your new computer together for you …

Here’s the rest of the order:

AMD RYZEN R7 3700X, 8C 16T, CPU
MSI AMD X570-A PRO MOTHERBOARD
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM
Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCIe Gen4 M.2 NVME SSD
Corsair RM850x 850W 80 Plus V2 Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair Hydro H100x 240mm White LED AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan EVO V2 OC 8GB GPU
MSI Vigor GK50 Elite RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Kailh Blue Switch

YAY! I love new computers.

Never. I enjoy putting it together too much. LOL.

Whew !

I have edited the first post to set out the steps I went through to get Ubuntu desktop running Roon Server and HQPlayer desktop. Everything has come up Millhouse and is working !

I have also cancelled the build order for the new computer as they were horribly backlogged and built a new machine myself. I’ll let you know more in another thread, but suffice it to say that I’m quite taken with the RGB on the Wraith Prism cooler.

Thanks Daniel and Sean for your help !

2 Likes

My Wraith Prism is unacceptably noisy. It’s noisy than all the Noctua fans (five 120 mm and two 80 mm) combined, although to be fair the Noctuas are completely silent.

It’s in my cellar so it doesn’t really matter, but still …

1 Like

Welcome to the Dark, er, Bright Side!

I love love love Noctua fans. Even their low profile versions for mini-itx machines are dead silent.

Every-time I read people chatting about how computers have such loud fans, I just think, “If you only knew what is possible when you build your own”. I can easily spec and build a computer in all formats from mini-itx to large tower and have it be quieter than a NUC. Now, you might not want it due to size or aesthetic reasons, in the actual stereo cabinet. But, sound is not really a key factor. Sorry, rant over.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:, I know what your mean. It’s sometimes an exaggerated joy when one finds a piece of equipment that completely lives up to its promise.

1 Like

Four 140mm Noctua fans in the new PC.

:astonished:

Got a parts list of the final build? And photos of the insides?

I’m giving my i9-9900K to my old man so he can use EC modulators @ DSD256.

So time for a new machine for me. Although I’ll probably just build the same thing, hopefully it’s a bit cheaper now.

Only one big Noctua fan :cry:

I’ve just completed a new build and didn’t bother with the partition route this time.

I have one SSD for Ubuntu Focal (Roon and HQP Embedded) and a separate for Windows.

I just use the BIOS boot menu (smashing F11 key on boot) if I need to load Windows on that particular machine. I set that machine to boot the SSD with Ubuntu Focal by default.

2 Likes