Logitech Vs. Roon

You can use the plugin “Music and Artist Information” and then you get much more informations like artist biographies out from the internet loaded while scanning.

“with free software you get what you pay for”

Famous quote - Not sure who from BUT true…

I had mentioned that in my post and it’s really not very good or laid out and not easy to find.

[edit: Sorry @Mike_O_Neill this was not meant as a reply to you]

But what you asked was “where is internet radio” and that’s where it is in Roon.

What’s the difference? This sounds like internet radio to me:

radio.net - Your free internet radio. radio.net is your free online radio on the internet. Stream the radio station of your choice with us via web radio. It’s live and for free. At radio.net you will find over 60,000 radio stations from all over the world

You can’t compare Logitech LMS to Roon.

It’s like comparing a VW beetle to a Porsche.

Both drive and get from A to B, but…that’s where the similarities end.……

John Darko is promoting a Squeezebox solution as a backup ‘local file’ streaming solution, for the event that there is an Internet outage and Roon stops working (due to its new requirement for continuous Internet connectivity).

See here The GREATEST music streamer of ALL TIME (for Spotify, Tidal, Deezer & more) - YouTube

Personally, I have a UPnP server (Asset R7.6) running on a RPi2 accessing a shared library on NAS units, that will operate without Internet connection and I can continue to stream local files to my Naim NDS Network player using the Naim App.

2 Likes

Funny…that analogy is especially bad since Porsches, air-cooled ones anyway, have a lot of similarities to VW bugs. Same family designed both.

1 Like

In that case I would just spin some vinyl :grin:
And if no Internet and no electricity I would just crank up the old Victrola and spin some old shellacs!

3 Likes

After seeing the Darko video I dusted off the old SBT to have a play with it.
Have to admit that once set up it isn’t too bad at all - quite usuable.
If there was no Roon then I could very happily live with LMS.
My only wish is that you could use Roon without having to turn off LMS.

1 Like

From My Music on the Touch can you switch between Roon and LMS via the Switch Library menu item?

I think you need to actually turn off / disable LMS before enabling SB support in Roon.
Hopefully there is an easier way?

After seeing this I installed it using a Docker on my NAS.
It has some really nice plugins like BBC Sounds which is missing from Roon. Using TailScale it functions the same as Arc in the car. For just selecting and playing music its fine…

If the US/UK exchange rates stay the same with a mix of LMS and Tidal Connect I think I can live with it once my Roon sub expires.

Will have to see what Roon can develop over the next few months to improve it proposition.

1 Like

A lot of people seem to hate on LMS here. I think it is a remarkable piece of software. Really flexable, can be build from source, free and the core is really lightweight. All of these things can not be said about Roon.

4 Likes

BBC sounds is a big hack and often stops working it will I think with the changes coming to BBC next year it might have a limited life.

Not hate just outgrown it really and it’s just not family friendly nor does it work reliably with all my kit. I do go back every now and then like this week but it doesn’t last long as it just feels antiquated to me.

1 Like

I’m using it with ipeng on M1 Mac, iPhone and iPad seems OK so far but I’ve only had it working a day :grinning:

Roon looks very complex when I go back to it… :grinning:

Both give you options Roon is clearly better for navigation and UI.

Think I’m going a bit audiophile as I’m thinking LMS sounds better, must need a beer…

I hated ipeng. Android remotes were not much better. Everyone goes on about the material Skin web ui for LMS but it’s absolutely horrid to use but it’s the only consistent way to use it across all platforms.

One beer might not do it. After a few pints the difference in SQ will probably be imperceptible. I have currently settled in the hybrid mode Roon server + Squeezelite player although I still find the “pure” LMS server + player sounding better, albeit at a very high user experience cost …

1 Like

I’m finding the more alcohol I have the less time I can listen as it makes it worse for me and seems to exaggerate high frequencies and my tinnitus, might be a blood pressure thing I guess.

2 Likes

I am currently unable to afford a lifetime subscription and cannot justify the 40% increase in the annual subscription so I spent yesterday installing an LMS system as a potential Roon replacement.
Along with the LMS server software I installed

• Qobuz plugin
  • Music and Artist information plugin
  • Material Skin plugin

This all runs on a linux server and feeds various endpoints around the house.

Altogether I am very impressed, a significant amount of work has been done on this software since I last looked at it. It now does most of what I want from a music player (I don’t use Roon ARC or the Roon DSP features).

2 Likes