Mac Mini M2 Pro as Core - WOW

So I received the Topping D10s today and managed to get audio out of the SPDIF coax connector into my AV10 processor. However, the level is extremely low and I cannot figure out why. To any of you using a M2 Pro and a USB DAC with it, how are you set up in MacOS? I mean, I have selected the D10s in both the Sound settings and Audio MIDI Setup. Am I missing something?

On a related note - this is my second swing and a miss. The first was a NUC12 that has HDMI output problems that Roon is trying to fix. Now the M2 Pro that has no hi-res output over HDMI. So if I buy a Nucleus, will all my problems go away?

Iā€™m on a m1 mini. but I have no issues with volume. I did usb to a Zen Dac v2 and to a Cambridge 200M. First as headphone amplifiers with the volume from the device and second as a dac with fixed volume just going in to an integrated. Always used just from system audio output. Do you have another amp to try? just to not buy a nucleus only for that issue.

USB from the computer to the DAC.

Thanks. Finally figured it out. I had it in exclusive mode so the level was too low in the Audio MIDI Settings and I could not increase it. I disabled it (in Audirvanaā€¦just to get it working) and now Iā€™m all good. I have a couple of other DDCs coming tomorrow to try and still may end up going DAC into the AV10. For now, Iā€™m just seeing what improvements are there (or not) with the M2 Pro and D10S using USB to SPDIF. So far the ROI is looking pretty darn low - I am not hearing huge differences over just playing it out of my AppleTV using HDMI.

2 Likes

Yesterday, I transferred my Roon Core from my 2014 Mac Mini to a new M2 Mini.

Everything was smooth except getting the Luna display dongle to run in headless mode. Under Ventura, the Luna Display app cannot be added to Login Items.

The support people at Luna got back to me right away with a script to fix the issue. They say there is a bug in Ventura.

I got 1TB of SSD so I didnā€™t have to deal with my
little SSD drive box every time I need to do something to the Mini. I have 500GB of ripped CDs.

I stream both Tidal and Qobuz under Roon. Iā€™m a happy camper.

I run the Mini into my Aqua Formula DAC, USB, and I think it sounds good.

Navigating Roon is much faster now. Iā€™m digging the ARC app for listening to music when Iā€™m in the office.

Iā€™m glad I made the switch. Apple makes great computers, and the Mini is awesome.

5 Likes

Yep Iā€™m very happy with both my MacBookā€™s, my iPad and iPhone. Apple rocks.
I have an M1 MacBook Pro and an older 2017 MacBook Air. Both run Roon fabulously.

Only have a Windows laptop for gaming and a Lenovo laptop running my Core on Linux.

In the fall I upgrade my 2014. I want the M2 Mac mini

2 Likes

Hey Larryā€¦thanks for the report of your results! I have a 2012 Mini that I plan to replace this fall with an M2 Pro Miniā€¦My only regret is that I have replaced the power supply in the 2012 mini to run on 12 VDC and not have to worry about spurious AC noise. With all the new stuff from MAC is that you can no longer tinker with the guts as the units are sealed ā€¦;-(

I have a 2012 mini - I just ā€œupdated itā€ to Unbuntu and it sits there doing its Roon server thing - no reboots , no nothing its just works and has for months. Might be worth considering rather than starting again

2 Likes

I greatly appreciate your post as I am about to upgrade my 2014 I-Mac to a Mac Mini M2 Pro. I was wondering whether or not if I make the Mac Mini my main Roon core if I would need to delete my current core and if so, would I need to purchase a new Roon subscription? My current core is on my Qnap Nas and not my I-Mac.
Your response/assistance would be appreciated greatly.

Hi, William.

Yes, you would need to delete the current core, if you want to use the same subscription. No, you would not have to purchase a new subscription.

Personally, even if I bought a new Mac, Iā€™d just leave my core on the NAS, if itā€™s working OK. Why bother moving it?

I think you need to deauthorize the old core but that does not delete it, as far as I know.

At the bottom of the page to log into Roon, there is the option to restore a core from Backup. Use that on the backup you took from the old machine.

If you donā€™t want to pay for another subscription, you need to use the Deauthorize button. I tried just logging out of the old core but that didnā€™t seem like it was enough.

1 Like

You can keep the old Core if you like.

You can create as many cores as you like on one account. But only one of them can be active at any given time. Youā€™ll need to deauthorize the one on the 2014 Mac. But you donā€™t have to delete it.

2 Likes

M1/M2 Macs are locked at 48kHz via HDMI. This is why I went with a 2018 Intel Mac mini.
However, supposedly there is a workaround, with Black Hole software. It should be able to unlock up to 192/24 - you just configure Black Hole in Roon, and it will output 192/24 to HDMI.

1 Like

How many DACs have HDMI input? My Aqua Formula does not. It has USB input with PCM 24 bit up to 768 kHZ.

NAD and Bluesound do. NAD M33 NAD 658, Node N130ā€¦ Iā€™m sure there are others.

1 Like

I read somewhere that a $15k licensing fee puts people off from using HDMI.

1 Like

Vlad, Thanks for this post! I use USB out of a 2012 Mini (for Roon Library) and also out of late 2020 Mini (for my Core using Custom Convolutions) with no issue. I have never used HDMI for anything other than a Video/Audio signalā€¦.what am I missing?

Thanks,
Larry

Wow, thatā€™s a massive library, so I can see how a new M2 Mac mini helps, but like you said its probably way more powerful than needed for Roon :slight_smile: .

My local Roon library is rather modest in comparison (~4K tracks), so my 2014 Mac mini works great without breaking a sweat.

Some have hdmi connections but they are typically just a similar looking connector that is used most often for I2S or I squared S as it is pronounced. This is not HDMI compatible at all.

1 Like