MAC Mini with Roon Server....best practices for best performing Roon?

Was that before or after you moved Roon Server to the Applications folder?

It was after I moved it…I’d be happy to try this again…I remember when I first installed Roon Server over Roon and it completely seemed to take over my MAC Mini even though I still have a Keyboard and Monitor and Mouse connected.

For what reason it does not work like that anymore…

Roon Server doesn’t take over the computer. It has a very minimal interface — just the menubar widget — and typically, you need to control and configure Roon Server from another device, say, an iPad or a different tablet or perhaps another computer. With Roon Server, if you see the menubar widget after you boot up, then Roon Server is running and that’s pretty much all there is to do on the mini. (As I mentioned upthread, it’s also a good idea to turn off Time Machine backups and Spotlight indexing, since those can cause unwanted disk activity on the mini while you’re listening.)

If you want a version of Roon that provides core services (what you get now from Roon Server) and also gives you a graphical interface that lets you configure and control things on your mini, then you should install what’s called Roon on the downloads page (formerly called Roon Core).

You might be having a problem with the Mac OS. I found that in an update or along the way a setting for BlueTooth and/or Infrared remote had changed in my system. Once I disabled BlueTooth and Remote control I no longer experienced occasional but annoying sudden stop of music. As I recall, the symptoms seemed to be that an invisible finger had “stopped” the music from playing. Hope this might help your situation.

I agree that turning off Bluetooth and infrared isn’t a bad idea if you’re not using them. However, I use a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad with mine, and it doesn’t seem to cause any problems. I do feel that turning off WiFi on the mini has SQ benefits (but I could be hallucinating).

David,

I cannot turn off WiFi (the only hook up to the 'Net as it’s not Hardwired) because then how would it talk to my controller, the iPad?

Correct. As long as the mini isn’t hard-wired to the network, you can’t turn off WiFi. Something to think about, though, like the way I think about having an electrician in to install a couple of additional electrical outlets in our utility room, along with a fairly short run of Ethernet cable, so I can get the spinning hard drives that house my Roon library out of the listening room. I might get motivated to actually do this when ROCK is released.

… an AirPort Express? :wink:
(or any wi-fi extender, with an ethernet plug, if you’re not using Apple AirPort base stations)

I could run an ethernet line to my MAC Mini…but what would be the gain? Yesterday I took down my slowly dying Apple Airport Wireless router (because Apple is getting out of the networking equipment business) and replaced with a ASUS Gigabit Wireless Router that covers 5000 Sq Ft. So I have plenty of WiFi coverage.

I have a “dumb” Netgear switch plugged into an AirPort Express, and all the relevant audio gear is hard-wired to the switch. Works great.

2 Likes